Why Is A Savinelli Punto Oro Gold Worth It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In that a machine can mimic anything the hands can do, why do we say a handmade, artisan pipe is better than machine-made? SP will from time to time comment on how a maker's pipes have improved. But they never say what the dozen or so little things are that they are judging.

Similarly when praising Cavicchi smooths for their value, the comment was made that he uses preformed acrylic stems. I responded who cares? Why is a handcut stem necessary for a serious pipe?

That they are. It's why I could never really call myself a hobbyist, I'm just a tobacco user.
On the other hand .. I am both a user and hobbyist. I smoke cigarettes, cigars and pipes. But I write a blog post, have an Instagram account, have a Pipedia userid to edit (Although I have not contributed yet), founding member of Pipe Club of India and promote pipe smoking to curious / interested people of Indian origin.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In that a machine can mimic anything the hands can do, why do we say a handmade, artisan pipe is better than machine-made? SP will from time to time comment on how a maker's pipes have improved. But they never say what the dozen or so little things are that they are judging.

Similarly when praising Cavicchi smooths for their value, the comment was made that he uses preformed acrylic stems. I responded who cares? Why is a handcut stem necessary for a serious pipe?
The only thing that really seems significantly different in most cases is the amount of time to make and basic increased rarity. There are less because it takes more time. To make the venture profitable they have to charge more because they can only make so many in a given amount of time.
I have to admit to my mind when I've seen a pipe being machine made instead of hand carved it still looks pretty hands on to my eye.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Some time ago I remember a thread, or think that I do, that pursued the differences, between machine-made and artisan pipes, especially in light of the fact that machinery is involved in every phase of artisan production. But this was a long time ago.

Reactions: BROBS
Or lack thereof. Really no more thought than smoking a cigarette.
I was listening to a lecture on youtube from a psychologist about the psychology of mens clothes. I know, I know... I'm an aesthetic nerd, and I like to look good. He was stating that we all wear what we want, but subconsciously we also wear what we want others to see us as. So, what others think about what we look like is important. And, to men who will adamantly say that they don't care what others think of us is also "what we want others to think about us." Not caring what our clothes looks like is exactly telling the world this very thing.

Same with pipes. If we just smoke beaten estate bucket pipes, that is projecting an image.

But, Chasing, you have some pipes that aren't just tools. Those huge meerschaums, and those artisan pipes you had made. Not only are they beautiful, but you posted them for us to admire. So, I think you care. But, regardless of what I think, not caring what others think is exactly what you want us to think. Ha ha. And, there's nothing wrong with that. Heck, I can't get my oldest daughter to dress up to go out to eat with us or anything. She always shows up in a thrift store tshirt and bluejeans. And, I'm ok with that. That's her thing. puffy

As to whether a pipe is worth that price, and someone above noted that it wasn't even an artisan... I've never seen a very nice artisan pipe priced at $200, even from a beginner. I think the price is right on. But, if it's not worth it to someone, then it's just not worth it. We all are different, and I dig that.

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
My Punto Oro pipes smoke the same as any of the cheaper Savinelli lines.
For me, the only difference is the way they look and I'm not much of a fan personally.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But, Chasing, you have some pipes that aren't just tools
Didn't read all of my posts?

" can't really apply emotion to a pipe other than those made for me."

The meers are like Hotwheels cars, I'll collect them until I get bored with them. The only one I smoke is the skull just to see how it will color.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Same with pipes. If we just smoke beaten estate bucket pipes, that is projecting an image.
Only seven of these were more than $30, and many were unsmoked. Does image really bother you that much? Hell, I threw out my dentures just because I'm at the age where I just don't care anymore. If it's good enough for me, screw the opinion of those around me.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I personally doubt that Punto Oro's are made any different than their normal line, other than the Corallo line which has a proprietary rustication and have a natural finish.

I reckon the smooth Punto Oro"s are simply selected after the stummels are formed and the grain is showing and only finished with a bit of extra care.

Reactions: garageboy

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, but @chasingembers you’re the guy that collects a certain Savinelli shape because it appeals to you.
Not even that. I've found it to be one of their less popular shapes and I can find the shape even their top lines on ebay at ridiculously low prices many times under $50. They're like Hotwheels to me. I get them to see if I can and once restored they'll likely never be smoked.

I've thrown away more pipes than I currently own including Dunhills, Preben Holms, meers, and others just because they caught my eye at one point then fell out of favor like any unused tool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.