Why Is A Savinelli Punto Oro Gold Worth It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Hello All,

I’ve scoured the Internet for any information on how and why the Savinelli P.O.G’s (priced around $200 - $240 US Market) might be better pipes than one of Savinelli’s mid-range priced pipes (around $150), and I’ve come up with very little, with the few posts I’ve found saying they recommend them, but without explaining why. Does the difference only lie in how it looks? That would confuse me, you see, I’m a gigantic fan of the Birdseye pattern, and strangely, I’ve seen plenty of their cheaper pipes show off a better Birdseye pattern than in their P.O.G line. Are Punto Oro Gold pipes really, actually worth it? More importantly, why?

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Pipes aren't fundamentally complicated creatures, so whether or not the asking price is worth it generally boils down to whether or not a certain pipe speaks to you at a primal level and makes you want it.

If you're not feeling it, it isn't worth the price. If it makes you weak in the knees and you start breathing funny, it's getting there. If there's suddenly a wallet-shaped hole in your monitor, it's definitely worth it to you.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
To me, no, it's not. They use a higher grade Briar for the Pinto Oros, but they are still machine made, hand finished pipes. It is not a hand made artisan pipe and a truly wonderful handmade pipe can be had for not much more. Again, just my two pennies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think we should all hire chasing' to buy our pipes. Even with the commission, it would be a huge savings. I've have both mid-range and up-market examples of Peterson and Nording, and I find the smoking aspects comparable, in the same way I find the down-market Rossi, from Savinelli, as good as the main brand. So if you can find a mid-range that pleases your eyes, it might be just as good in the long run. I bought most of my Petersons over an eight year stretch, when there were some complaints about quality control, but sticking to the mid-range, I never encountered a problem, which was kind of striking.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I think we should all hire chasing' to buy our pipes. Even with the commission, it would be a huge savings. I've have both mid-range and up-market examples of Peterson and Nording, and I find the smoking aspects comparable, in the same way I find the down-market Rossi, from Savinelli, as good as the main brand. So if you can find a mid-range that pleases your eyes, it might be just as good in the long run. I bought most of my Petersons over an eight year stretch, when there were some complaints about quality control, but sticking to the mid-range, I never encountered a problem, which was kind of striking.
This is a great idea. I would happily pay a 50% commission for him to find me a $20 Dunhill.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
pipe prices are a lot like clothes prices. Is that shirt really worth more then another shirt. Depends on how you feel about wearing it or having the pipe hanging out of your mouth. And yeah being able to enjoy the aesthetics of a pipe can effect how much fun you have smoking it. My fanciest pipe is great to smoke not because it smokes better but there is something intangible and wonderful about smoking what's basically a really cool little statue.

First the facts

1. Punto Oro is Savinelli’s second quality pipes in traditional shape (After Giubileo D’Oro)
2. The quality of briar and general workmanship should be better than regular Savinelli pipes
3. It will have flaws - only Giubileo D’Oro does not have flaws
4. It will have a higher probability than a regular Savinelli line to have better smoking qualities. It is a probability though as it is graded with eye
5. Most of the differences will be cosmetic - I.e. visual, less flaws etc, and not the quality of smoke

Now ... the emotions

1. You will think you have a better line of pipe than the Savinelli regular and that would improve your smoking experience

A very good example comes to my mind in terms of cars. Once I owned an Acura TSX which is nothing but an Honda Accord with some fancy stuff. But...
1. The quality of materials was better than any Honda I have sat inside - in terms of the quality of plastics, metal and leather
2. It was flawlessly engineered compared to a Honda
3. It has subtle touches like well thought out lights in strategic places like the footwell, and in a moody color

But it was still a Honda, and not a BMW

Now if you think it is worth the extra price, it is. If you think it is not, it is not. Either way, you are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.