PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I quit smoking cigarettes about 3.5 months ago and didn't smoke anything for a month after I quit. I picked up my pipes again and didn't feel a need to inhale. From what I remember when I researched blending tobacco back in the day, pipe tobaccos usually have I believe a more alkaline structure then tobaccos used in cigarettes which causes the lungs to sort of reject the smoke more so than a drag from a cigarette. Just my 2 cents. I think the info came from tobacco university but I could be wrong...

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I smoke RYO and i ain't got a problem with my nicotine addiction, so when puffin' on the pipe i'll inhale deeply 3 or 4 times per bowl, most of those times when relighting the pipe since that's when the smoke is heaviest, creamiest and most lung-filling. I enjoy it inmensely although as many have already said some of the flavor is lost. Not a problem since 4 puffs out of a pipe isn't like you're throwing half of the baccy away.

I have every intention of quitting cigarrettes when i'm 34, but since that's still a few years from now i just enjoy it (in moderation) without worrying too much about my lungs.
PD: yes, i promise i'll be a good boy and go straight to the newbie thread and a decent self-introduction.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Looking for any sort of data relative to smoking on www.livestrong.com is like going the the NRA and asking them for their opinion on guns prohibition...

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Inhaling Turkish Izmir tobacco only. Just a bit, not like nails. I think it satisfies my nic crave. Just smoking my aromatic (7 seas) doesn't seem to satisfy the nicotine requirement and I end up smoking it alot, I believe always looking for the nicotine buzz and fill. So....Turkish for nicotine & aro for the sweet taste. Good combo. Kinda like a good woman?

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
None of us are going to make it out of here alive anyway so I say enjoy yourself as long as it's not at the expense of someone else. Smoking is my only vice-don't drink because I can't if I wanted to due to being on two blood thinners, Plavix and Warfarin. I don't chase wild women as I'd be afraid of the request that may be made of me at some point and I know the aftermath of that would be like shooting pool with a rope so I refrain from getting too personal in any relationship anymore. I like my dog better anyway.
I am a 100% nicotine addict and have been for decades. One reason I quit the pipe long ago it just didn't give me the "hit" cigarettes did and knowing precious little about pipe smoking anyway back then I eventually gave up on it. I think today after such a long period without the pipe I'm looking for an attractive alternative to cigarettes but one that will still fulfill that addiction. Perhaps that's the wrong way of looking at it but as for not that's the way I see it. Having smoked for over 50 years I'll never get over the nicotine addiction...can't say that I even want to-I enjoy it. I have found the pipe to be stronger if inhaled compared to the average cigarette and a bit more hot and harsh. Of course, discounting cigarettes like Camels or Lucky Strikes that will knock the lungs out of a brass mule I actually get my current need of nicotine from Marlboro. I think I'd enjoy the pipe more had I never smoked cigarettes. I've often wondered what it is they put in cigarette tobacco that they don't in anything else. I've found nothing, and I've tried chewing, pipes, cigars, etc., and nothing seems as satisfying as cigarettes. I'm about convinced they "lace" cigarette tobacco with something and it's more than nicotine that's addictive.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I'm like Lawrence. Maybe 1x a bowl. I read something somewhere that in really small doses, tobacco smoke, especially fermented tobacco smoke, inhaled lightly actually help bring up dusts we inhale in our normal everyday life. Cigarette tobacco is sprayed with some chemical that makes it even worse than pipe and cigarette tobaccos and is just all around bad stuff. It's pipe and cigar smoke only(I don't think swishers and phillies count as cigars. lol) I wish i could site this author or article. I know i heard it on AM Coast To Coast radio show in 06-06 first, but the researched it. I'll try to back up this stuff...

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
If I inhale it's by accident. Like Kevin I do often inhale through my nose (French inhale) as this usually really increases the flavour.

subtech77

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2012
Looks like I'm a minority here, but I inhale quite a lot. Maybe every 10-15 puff. I think it tastes better that way, and I enjoy the kick from the strong tobacco in my throat. I let the smoke stay in my mouth for a while and open my mouth a lot, and inhale slowly, and exhale slowly. But that is just my opinion.

Reactions: Steelheader
Jul 31, 2012
It seems to me as far as inhaling, that the people that DO inhale often, are cigarette smokers. They either still smoke cigarettes, or quit cigs, and are trying pipes or cigars. The inhaling I think is a urge from when they smoked the cigs.
I started directly on pipes, never having touched a cigarette, and I never ever inhale. I want my lungs to stay clear, allowing me a lifetime of enjoying my pipes.
I have read a lot about cigarettes, and they are loaded with additives, like extra nicotine, burn agents, preservatives, and who knows what else. Look it up online and you can see. Also, when smoking a cig, you are inhaling wood smoke from the paper wrapper, which is bad stuff. The clean natural tobacco in quality cigars, or pipes with no paper or chemicals is just infinitely better than any cigarette, and far less dangerous to your health. I don't smoke for the nicotine, and do not enjoy it when a pipe tobacco that's overly strong like one I tried recently called Peterson Old Dublin, gives me a huge nicotine blast near the end.
These are just my opinions, any of you that enjoy cigarettes please don't be offended. I'm just saying what I think about the subject.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
It seems to me as far as inhaling, that the people that DO inhale often, are cigarette smokers. They either still smoke cigarettes, or quit cigs, and are trying pipes or cigars.
There's some truth to that and I fall into that category.I think secretly I'm looking for a Marlboro replacement in a way even though I enjoy the pipe as is. However, one of the very few pipe smokers at work inhales about as much or more than I do and to my knowledge, he's never smoked cigs...at least since I've known him and that's been over ten years.

radoslav

Lurker
Oct 17, 2012
Hey guys! I just wanted to say, I'm a 16 year old pipe smoker, I took up smoking a pipe two years back when I got my grandfathers one, but I smoked cigarrettes beforehand.
My point: I have never smoked a pipe and not inhaled the smoke, I see no reason to be smoking a pipe unless you are inhaling. Unless your doing it just for show, in which case, is another reason not to smoke a pipe.
If your wondering, I smoke my pipe daily, and I smoke it untill I've finished all the tobacco, just so you don't think I inhale a few tokes then put it down.
Regards, Radoslav.

Reactions: Steelheader

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
My point: I have never smoked a pipe and not inhaled the smoke, I see no reason to be smoking a pipe unless you are inhaling. Unless your doing it just for show, in which case, is another reason not to smoke a pipe.
You're in the minority just so you know.

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
I "smell" the smoke through my nose, so I guess I inhale a bit, but I would never inhale like cigarette smokers do 8O

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I see no reason to be smoking a pipe unless you are inhaling. Unless your doing it just for show, in which case, is another reason not to smoke a pipe.
What about taste buds? I thought they were on your tongue. What you said is equivalent to saying you would only drink everclear, i.e., the purpose of the activity is the physical impact on one's body rather than sensory considerations.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
radoslav, You are 16 years old? I think you have to be 18 to be on this forum. I agree with bulldog mick's comment with regards to inhaling.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I see no reason to be smoking a pipe unless you are inhaling.
I refuse to disagree with a 16 year old who knows everything allready.
Plus you're profile says you live in these United States of America.
Which means you gotta be 18. See you in two years. :puffy:

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I usually inhale my pipe smoke half the time. I'm a cigarette smoker, and I like the "hit" feel you get in the back of your throat. I really don't think twice about it really, just happens on it's own. I also find that I get more flavour when I inhale. I don't really see how it can be that much worse than a cig.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I wonder how many years this thread will be kept alive as new members join up and put in their two cents worth? Ya kinda always know what a thread will turn in to after the first 10 or so posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.