PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
Pipe tobacco is to be savored. Not gulped down like cigarettes. It's a totally different experience with pipes.

The same with fine cigars. Sip it easy and taste the many flavors pipe tobacco provides.
Inhale? I never inhale. No need to.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Depending on the tobacco I will occasionally inhale. It's just the way I learned 43 years ago. Everybody has their own preference no one way THE WAY to smoke.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I do a couple of French inhales (you breathe the smoke in your nose and surrender) every bowl and that's it. No need to inhale into your lungs to enjoy a pipe. You will get a little unintentionally, but it's no big deal.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
RYO and pipe smoker here. Generally speaking, non cigarette smokers don't often inhale. Cig smokers tend to inhale due to their cravings a d tolerance for inhalation. Personally I inhale every fourth or fifth puff. I agree with Juni that I inhale a bit different with a pipe, more indirectly. And I agree with Lawrence that inhaling diminishes the taste of fine tobacco. I would like to give up rollies for the pipe but it's a struggle. Have yet to successfully make the full transition. If you are not a cigarette smoker, DO NOT feel like you need to inhale. You don't.

deadwoodpete

Lurker
May 31, 2012
The baron beat me to it, but I also occasionally French inhale my pipes. Perhaps I am an aroma junkie? ;)
In truth, there is no right way, just the right way for the smoker. So, no Buck, you are not a wimp for not inhaling. It's all about freedom, and what fits you as an individual. Enjoy, and forget about what someone else thinks is the "right" way.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
The reason I would inhale is to drop my cigarette habit. Pipe smoke in my mouth does not fulfill my nicotine craving, so if I inhale a couple times I will get the nicotine and not need a cigarette. Otherwise I will not inhale it.

sabertooth

Lurker
May 30, 2012
I like exhaling though my nose time to time, so I actually inhale a little in the process of doing that. Wish I knew how to exhale though the nose without inhaling some, but I don't yet.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I partial inhale almost every puff. When you toke the pipe I just hold it in my mouth. But mostly I just take a small sip of bacci and then suck in oxygen. So I don't inhale much realy. I am an ex cig smoker and some habits are just hard to break for me.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I french inhale. The one time i did inhale my pipe smoke I was drunk and sobered up real quick like.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I've only inhaled a few times just to try it but I was not fond of the results. Whatever makes you happy I guess.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I quit cigs... So maybe a few times per bowl I'll inhale a mouthfull. Maybe... I feel like a bad pipe smoker everytime I do it though. :crying:
But I figure whatever keeps me from cigs. And I only have 1 bowl a day on average. :puffy:

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I'll have a few french inhales while smoking, and usually just enough to get a nice sniffer full of that wonderful smoke. Occasionally my brain shuts off and attempts to inhale as if I was smoking a cigarette...it's fun, because my throat immediately closes up and my lungs decide it's time to have a coughing fit. Oh, wait...that's not fun at all! :P

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I am probably among the only (or very few) that walk two miles on a tread-mill every single day with my first pipe smoke of the day! At age 62 and having puffed the pipe for 50 years, my personal physical fitness is a priority as I am an avid downhill skier in the winter months and must stay in shape for that. Laugh if you will. However, I am fit and I do ski and I do smoke my first morning pipe whilst I walk that two miles in thirty minutes on the tread-mill every single day with the exception of ski-days which number about twenty-four per winter. DO NOT INHALE YOUR PIPE SMOKE DIRECTLY!!!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I like to inhale once or twice a bowl. I don't smoke very often and figure a good nicotine hit is pretty enjoyable. That said, I agree flavor is lost then and you get things buring pretty hot!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never inhale pipe tobacco, but I do exhale the smoke through my nose. In my opinion you get the true flavor of the blend by using the nose. Imagine eating something and blocking your nose, it doesn't taste the same. I used to be a heavy cigar smoker and used this technique on those as well. I was a 1.5 pack a day nail coffin guy but now it is only the pipe for me with an occasional cigar.

Status
Not open for further replies.