PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
I never put much thought into the reason, but I think mine is similar to many others. Getting a new pipe makes me happy. I get that warm, giddy feeling when I get a new pipe that I have been eyeing. Its satisfying, but at the same time, its the same sense of satisfaction I get when I buy any thing else that I want. The unfortunate thing is that I have found the satisfaction to be some what of lie, because its fleeting. It always feels good for a period of time and then gradually fades away... which coaxes you into your next pipe purchase. Now that I am typing it out I think I just described addiction lol. Guess I am addicted.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Pure materialism.

I alternate between buying pipes, knives and surfboards. The only thing holding me back is that I'm quite particular about what I like and that I prefer to buy quality over quantity.

@mso489, I do use your first reason to justify buying a new pipe when one has caught my eye. Usually to celebrate work related successes or milestones.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
The illusion of buying something you love. The boy with his new toy...................Also with whisky, Brandy, Cigars, Wine, leather jackets..(quality over quantity.in line with tobefrank too). Although I don't have it yet briar pipes, only corn cob. I hope to collet a few in the future. The pandemic destroyed my economy...............

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Brendan, I admire your minimalist approach
Unfortunately, despite constant admonishments from my wife, I have yet to achieve that state of nirvana :)
Thanks, of course time makes fools of us all and I could be eating my words in 5-10 years time as I expect to free of my mortgage well by then..

Having disposable income again may corrupt my minimalist nature..

A good problem to have, maybe :sher:

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
The illusion of buying something you love. The boy with his new toy...................Also with whisky, Brandy, Cigars, Wine, leather jackets..(quality over quantity.in line with tobefrank too). Although I don't have it yet briar pipes, only corn cob. I hope to collet a few in the future. The pandemic destroyed my economy...............

My commiserations on your economy and Covid , I can only add that at least if you have quality tobacco the pipe is only a vessel.

Much like my car, old and beat looking, but gets me from A to B rotf

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
It's compulsory, every time I start into a hobby, I tend to over do it for the first while, then slow down.
But the big thing is knowing your price limit. I prefer to have lots for less, rather than less for more, so I set myself a price limit of 120$ per pipe.
Really overdid it with my guns and almost bankrupted myself. Good thing they hold value.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, setting boundaries on spending on hobbies is the key to remaining happy with them. I rarely spend enough to get free shipping with online retailers. I probably spend more than I should, but it is incremental, on the installment plan as they used to say. You also have to keep an eye on shear accumulation. You have to have some plan for culling what you do not use or want. Too-free spending can be the substitute for better outlets in life and is good to avoid. Now I should go cull my study, not to mention the living room (not pipe stuff, just stuff).

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I throughly enjoy picking out a tobacco and pipe combo. Sometimes I want to smoke a certain pipe then figure out what I want to smoke out of it n vise versa tobacco first then what pipe. My first and last of the day are always special. I am really looking forward to more purchases of pipes n tobacco.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Why so many pipes? I've asked myself, looking at the pipe shop in my study. I have more pipes on hand than the local Tinder Box at the mall before it closed. So here are some reasons why, after buying a reasonable dozen pipes, I kept buying more.

1. As a reward for doing other things in life that aren't rewarding, like doing the paperwork for taxes, balancing my check book, paying bills, etc.

2. On the basis that each new pipe bought with it a mystique that would slightly open up and change my life. Younger, I felt this way about new clothes, but not so much any more.

3. The idea that each pipe made life one notch better and cheered me up.

4. The idea that capturing pipes brought their culture and national differences into my life in an enriching way.

What other reasons do you have? Maybe, which of these don't you have?
That's some good introspection. I think those reasons ^ are the reasons we do many things in life, not just buy pipes. I think those reasons are why I like to eat at various ethnic restaurants, play different music, watch movies...... and certainly buy pipes. I don't really need another pipe but that won't stop me.

M

MARC52

I can't say I've ever had this problem as I have never had more than 6 or 7 pipes in rotation at one time. The 6 big bowled Savinelli billiards I have now I've been smoking for many years, although I am now downsizing my pipes from big bowl billiards to smaller bowled apples for a shorter smoke time outside. When my new pipes arrive they will replace my current rotation. I don't foresee window shopping or buying anything else in the future except maybe a Falcon with the apple bowl for sh!ts and giggles. Once I have what I need, I'm good.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't know ... there is something about collecting items well nested in my subconscious ever since I was a child. I just like collecting stuff, and since beer steins tend to be large and heavy I found refuge in pipes. It's a testament to the past I guess, so I suppose my collecting mania has something to do with my fascination for history as well. At first I started building a rotation, and come on ... how much is enough? More than once I have seen the argument being made that if one simply seeks the pragmatic values in pipes you don't even need a rotation, smoke one pipe day in and day out 'till your ruin a piece and then buy another. So I guess the rotation was the excuse, and now that I own 50+ pipes I have come to terms with the fact that I am a collector ... or maybe that's another excuse for my OCD? I don't know .. what the heck, can't it be just a simple answer: I like them !? puffy ?