PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why so many pipes? I've asked myself, looking at the pipe shop in my study. I have more pipes on hand than the local Tinder Box at the mall before it closed. So here are some reasons why, after buying a reasonable dozen pipes, I kept buying more.

1. As a reward for doing other things in life that aren't rewarding, like doing the paperwork for taxes, balancing my check book, paying bills, etc.

2. On the basis that each new pipe bought with it a mystique that would slightly open up and change my life. Younger, I felt this way about new clothes, but not so much any more.

3. The idea that each pipe made life one notch better and cheered me up.

4. The idea that capturing pipes brought their culture and national differences into my life in an enriching way.

What other reasons do you have? Maybe, which of these don't you have?

Last edited:

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
I'm a pragmatist, and I don't collect pipes for economic reasons.

I have about 10 pipes because I think there's no problem smoking with $50 pipes.
Mine are pipes between $100 and $200.

The "collectors" around me, they seem to think of it as a collection of art.
Like a hobby of collecting artworks such as paintings, sculptures, and crafts.

I think that's why many pipe artisans can sell pipes that cost $5,600 or as much as $2,000 and over.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I was thinking about this after your minimum number post.

Three reasons cover it for me I think. I wanted to try as many sizes & shapes & makers as possible (& my preconceptions were wrong, so I'm glad I did that).

I also think there are some incredible craftsmen out there who need to pay rent.

But mainly because while eating the same five (or whatever the number is supposed to be) fruit & vegetables each & every day is probably as healthy as eating a different five, it isn't as fun.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm a pragmatist, and I don't collect pipes for economic reasons.

I have about 10 pipes because I think there's no problem smoking with $50 pipes.
Mine are pipes between $100 and $200.

The "collectors" around me, they seem to think of it as a collection of art.
Like a hobby of collecting artworks such as paintings, sculptures, and crafts.

I think that's why many pipe artisans can sell pipes that cost $5,600 or as much as $2,000 and over.
I agree.
Why do I buy multi pipes. Because I want to and you. never know when someone might steal one or it might fall into the abyss. Gotta be prepared.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Why so many pipes? I've asked myself, looking at the pipe shop in my study. I have more pipes on hand than the local Tinder Box at the mall before it closed. So here are some reasons why, after buying a reasonable dozen pipes, I kept buying more.

1. As a reward for doing other things in life that aren't rewarding, like doing the paperwork for taxes, balancing my check book, paying bills, etc.

2. On the basis that each new pipe bought with it a mystique that would slightly open up and change my life. Younger, I felt this way about new clothes, but not so much any more.

3. The idea that each pipe made life one notch better and cheered me up.

4. The idea that capturing pipes brought their culture and national differences into my life in an enriching way.

What other reasons do you have? Maybe, which of these don't you have?
For me it's the compulsion to have the next coolest pipe. I kind of look at them as functional collector's pieces. As of late I have got on a stint of acquiring older or abused estate pipes mostly versus brand new. I have developed or I should more accurately state am developing my skills and passion for restoration. I find great personal satisfaction in doing so. It feeds my need for a creative output other than other work or normal daily life. They are beautiful useable pieces when they done and I feel like I've done something worthwhile with my spare time. Many I've not smoked out of yet but hey they look great sitting on my shelves.

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
So many reasons..most just giving myself an honorary phd in rationalization. I don't have 1 made of that wood...or from that maker...or in that shape...it's a really good deal...and I just sold something else for twice that much...I did some overtime this week....we're on vacation, and it would be nice to have a pipe to remember bla bla bla...etc. You get the idea.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I'm on the extreme opposite end of this spectrum, I've found I'm quite fond of my main pipe, a Peterson 106 shape Billiard that i don't care for any other shape.
I will add another billiard or straight pipe to my stable come father's day in Australia, likely a Savinelli 111 Fantasia because of the stem, or something similar/unique ( ie. without a boring old black stem) and that's it I'm done..