Why Don’t I Like Early Morning Pipe & Chelsea Morning?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I’ve always thought myself to be a morning person, but when it comes to those two tobaccos it doesn’t seem to be the case - at least early on in my journey. But I’m confused? At first I thought it was the Latakia, but both seem to indicate that a light amount of Latakia is added, and I happen to like some blends that contain Latakia - Shepherds Pie, Epiphany, & Bob’s Chocolate Flake. So that had me thinking it’s the oriental, but Shepherds Pie has oriental and there are other blends with orientals that I like? So what’s the deal? Is it that both have enough of those two together in their blends that equal an unpleasant combo to my palette? I may be answering my own question here, but still thought I’d throw it out there.

Reactions: Bananacaravanadium

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
You don’t like the blends. Try something that’s a different style. I happen to love Early Morning Pipe, but think Chelsea Morning is rather bland. They are just light Latakia blends with a good helping of orientals. Maybe try something heavier or with more Virginias.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Do you like mm965 and nightcap? I have nothing to add but I find it interesting when someone can enjoy a blend but then not another which is a slight tweaking of component ratios.
I haven’t tried mm965 but it keeps coming up on my radar, so I plan to get that eventually. I haven’t tried Nightcap either, but I really like Peterson’s Irish Flake! I’m certainly favoring more burley based and burley/Virginia mixed blends. I think you’re right. It only takes a certain percentage change of a specific component and it can trigger a taste that’s not agreeable.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I haven’t tried mm965 but it keeps coming up on my radar, so I plan to get that eventually. I haven’t tried Nightcap either, but I really like Peterson’s Irish Flake! I’m certainly favoring more burley based and burley/Virginia mixed blends. I think you’re right. It only takes a certain percentage change of a specific component and it can trigger a taste that’s not agreeable.
If you like Irish flake, some others by Peterson you might enjoy are University flake and 3Ps. Macbaren ODF is also enjoyed by many fans of Irish flake.

On a different tangent, you may enjoy Edward G Robinson. Similar vein to revelation match but less kitchen sink approach.

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
If you like Irish flake, some others by Peterson you might enjoy are University flake and 3Ps. Macbaren ODF is also enjoyed by many fans of Irish flake.

On a different tangent, you may enjoy Edward G Robinson. Similar vein to revelation match but less kitchen sink approach.
I do have University Flake and do like it, but I like the Irish Flake better. I think it might be the dark Kentucky in it? Thank you for the 3Ps & ODF recommendations. I’ll add them to my growing list of blends to try! lol. Never heard of Edward G Robinson. I’ll have to check that out. Thank you!

BrightDarkEyes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I have never tried Chelsea Morning but I have tried Peterson Early Morning Pipe, so I can tell you about my experience with EMP and blends I found similar.

A couple years ago I bought a tin of Legend Maritime Morning, the Canadian version of EMP blended by Kolhase & Kopp in Germany. Last year I came across vintage tins of Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow and Dunhill Mixture BB 1938 last year. All three of these blends I enjoyed so thoroughly that upon opening the tin it was my first smoke of the day until the tin was gone. Each tin lasted a couple of weeks and I did not bother to put them in a mason jar.

Every blend was better than the last. Maritime Morning was fantastic, Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow was even better and the BB 1938 was the best of the three.

My next order after finishing my last tin of BB 1938 was made in anticipation of finding great flavour like those blends again. The closest thing I could see in production was Peterson EMP and Standard Mixture so I ordered those.

I do not remember which one I opened first. This might foreshadow the outcome. I did not enjoy either of these blends as much as the others.

Maybe it was the age. The Legend Maritime Morning I bought at a mall tobacconist that only had two tins of tobacco. The tin was a generic green label that Canada made law in 2019 so the tin could have been at least three years old when I bought it. It likely was since the store never restocked any tins since they sold out.

The Dunhill tins were at least six years old when I found them last year at an old tobacconist in Seattle.

I smoked both of the tins of Peterson EMP and Standard Mixture but I no longer looked forward to it each morning. I tried it at different times of the day but I did not enjoy as much as the others.

I would have to say that the Oriental-Latakia ratio of Early Morning Pipe is a little off for your preferences. At least that’s what I found with Peterson Standard Mixture. It was not as enjoyable as the Dunhill Mellow blend was for me.

Now you made me curious because I recently bought a tin of Dunhill EMP and Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow both from 2017. The Peterson blend is supposed to be the same recipe as Dunhill, so I guess I will find out if it was the age I liked or the components I did not when I open that tin of EMP.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I didn’t intend my earlier post to sound facetious
It comes down to balance.

An analogy is cooking - too much salt or not enough can make an appreciable difference.
The presence or absence of a herb or spice can lift a dish or make it taste “flat”.
Does the saltiness need to be tempered with a pinch of sugar ?
Would a dash of soy give it an umami lift ?

With tobacco, you are not only dealing with different tobaccos, but different sources of those tobaccos. Add in crop variation from one year to the next and whether a tobacco is substituted with another when a supply is exhausted - you get multiple variabilities to the mix.

If I find a blend I like, I’ll try to lay some away or find something similar.
If it’s not to my liking, I move on.

The great thing with pipes is there are so many more blends to try

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
EMP is a blend I like but find unremarkable. My guess is you just aren't into milder versions of that style. My preference is solidly on the light side of medium. Not as into heavier or lighter variations of English. Just how it rolls for me is all.
Also if I expect to like a blend too much it will disapoint.
And the ratios of tobacco make a bigger difference then makes any logical sense.

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I have never tried Chelsea Morning but I have tried Peterson Early Morning Pipe, so I can tell you about my experience with EMP and blends I found similar.

A couple years ago I bought a tin of Legend Maritime Morning, the Canadian version of EMP blended by Kolhase & Kopp in Germany. Last year I came across vintage tins of Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow and Dunhill Mixture BB 1938 last year. All three of these blends I enjoyed so thoroughly that upon opening the tin it was my first smoke of the day until the tin was gone. Each tin lasted a couple of weeks and I did not bother to put them in a mason jar.

Every blend was better than the last. Maritime Morning was fantastic, Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow was even better and the BB 1938 was the best of the three.

My next order after finishing my last tin of BB 1938 was made in anticipation of finding great flavour like those blends again. The closest thing I could see in production was Peterson EMP and Standard Mixture so I ordered those.

I do not remember which one I opened first. This might foreshadow the outcome. I did not enjoy either of these blends as much as the others.

Maybe it was the age. The Legend Maritime Morning I bought at a mall tobacconist that only had two tins of tobacco. The tin was a generic green label that Canada made law in 2019 so the tin could have been at least three years old when I bought it. It likely was since the store never restocked any tins since they sold out.

The Dunhill tins were at least six years old when I found them last year at an old tobacconist in Seattle.

I smoked both of the tins of Peterson EMP and Standard Mixture but I no longer looked forward to it each morning. I tried it at different times of the day but I did not enjoy as much as the others.

I would have to say that the Oriental-Latakia ratio of Early Morning Pipe is a little off for your preferences. At least that’s what I found with Peterson Standard Mixture. It was not as enjoyable as the Dunhill Mellow blend was for me.

Now you made me curious because I recently bought a tin of Dunhill EMP and Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow both from 2017. The Peterson blend is supposed to be the same recipe as Dunhill, so I guess I will find out if it was the age I liked or the components I did not when I open that tin of EMP.
Thank you for sharing all of that. I actually have another unopened tin of EMP, that I’m either going to age or trade. I understand aging mostly impacts Virginias, but I’d be interested to know if you notice a difference between the newer and the aged tin.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thank you for sharing all of that. I actually have another unopened tin of EMP, that I’m either going to age or trade. I understand aging mostly impacts Virginias, but I’d be interested to know if you notice a difference between the newer and the aged tin.
You can never have too much or too many tobaccos, unless you have several hundred tins and you are moving and need to pare down, on the other hand is the 12 bucks you'd get selling it really do that much for you? I'd just leave it alone, you never know tastes change all the time.

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
I didn’t intend my earlier post to sound facetious
It comes down to balance.

An analogy is cooking - too much salt or not enough can make an appreciable difference.
The presence or absence of a herb or spice can lift a dish or make it taste “flat”.
Does the saltiness need to be tempered with a pinch of sugar ?
Would a dash of soy give it an umami lift ?

With tobacco, you are not only dealing with different tobaccos, but different sources of those tobaccos. Add in crop variation from one year to the next and whether a tobacco is substituted with another when a supply is exhausted - you get multiple variabilities to the mix.

If I find a blend I like, I’ll try to lay some away or find something similar.
If it’s not to my liking, I move on.

The great thing with pipes is there are so many more blends to try
That’s a great analogy, and once I can relate to, because I like a little cilantro added to my salsa or guacamole, but there is a threshold, that when crossed, it becomes an unpleasant flavor to me. The same with basil.

Yes, I love that there are so many different blends to explore!

Reactions: OzPiper

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
You can never have too much or too many tobaccos, unless you have several hundred tins and you are moving and need to pare down, on the other hand is the 12 bucks you'd get selling it really do that much for you? I'd just leave it alone, you never know tastes change all the time.
Yeah, even after I wrote that I thought about some videos I’ve seen where guys were talking about their palate changing over time, and now they actually like what they used to dislike. 🙃

Reactions: BingBong

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Yeah, even after I wrote that I thought about some videos I’ve seen where guys were talking about their palate changing over time, and now they actually like what they used to dislike. 🙃
I started out smoking EMP, Nightcap and a few blends like that, now i can't stand them and smoke 99,9999% VAs and VaPers, i sent a few tins of EMP and Nightcap (i had dozens) to a friend and just leave the rest on the shelf, maybe some day i'll go back to them. Either way in the words of @Chasing Embers tobacco will never be cheaper than it is today.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
+1 on trying Nightcap. It’s completely different. Darker, more flavorful, and rich with a nice top note-all while being smooth. You say you may like Latakia, maybe try the stronger blends to really know what it can do. Also, Gl Pease Westminster or Charing Cross are worth a go if you’re set on getting into more flavorful blends. Chelsea Morning and EMP are definitely not the most flavorful of blends, which is why they are used to start the palate as a first smoke. And maybe, go back and try Chelsea and EMP at a later time and see what you think.