Why Don’t I Like Early Morning Pipe & Chelsea Morning?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've never had trouble finishing a bowl of EMP, but it is a bit more Oriental-forward than I'd prefer. I wish the Virginias were a little more prominent, and I'm cautiously optimistic that the tin of Chelsea Morning I have in the cellar will do that trick. If not, it's not the end of the world. You could also try Presbyterian Mixture if you want to keep poking around in this genre.

I enjoy straight Virginias and heavy English blends, and once thought that if I found the right "light English" it would scratch all itches simultaneously, but they seem to end up neither fish nor fowl.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Could be what I’d call Palate Burnout, just need to give the old mouth and body a break and smoke something else, to change it up a bit, then revisit down the road, and possibly a long way down the road, depending on how frazzled, psychologically too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My first tin was the one of the Sutliff light aros, Autumn-something. Then I quickly moved to EMP, 965, Lancer’s Slices etc. Then Virginias, VaPers, then a foray into DFK and blending. Lately, I’ve been doing Oriental/Turk-forward blends. I always go back to the EMPesque with great pleasure.
I didn't get into flavored blends for the first decade. Mostly C&D Latakia blends. Can't stand much Latakia anymore.

Reactions: woodsroad

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I cannot add much here that hasn't been said, but......
I know that for myself, some blends I love, while extremely similar blends I do not love.
I used to think I didn't like a huge amount of Perique in a blend.
But, there are a couple blends I love that have a hefty amount.
Im not sure if it's the particular batch of Perique used, or how the other components meld with it.
Ive just learned not to sweat it and buy more of the ones I like.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OzPiper

dublinpiper90

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
When I first smoked EMP I liked it, time progressed and I tried Nightcap (which is probably my favorite #1 Blend) and I didn’t care much for EMP. I smoked a bowl today for the 1st time in a few months and I enjoyed it. Now on the other hand MM965 is ok but I purchased a tin and probably have smoke 3 mid size bowls of it, I cant jive as much with it.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
When I first smoked EMP I liked it, time progressed and I tried Nightcap (which is probably my favorite #1 Blend) and I didn’t care much for EMP. I smoked a bowl today for the 1st time in a few months and I enjoyed it. Now on the other hand MM965 is ok but I purchased a tin and probably have smoke 3 mid size bowls of it, I cant jive as much with it. I think 965 is extremely bland. I say EMP is way more flavorful blend than 965. mean there is sweetness and unflavored Latakia, but not much else.
I think 965 is an extremely bland blend. Never understood what all the talk is about. There are many better Scottish blends including Rattrays offerings. Like, I think EMP beats it in every way. Yes, it has some sweetness and some unflavored Latakia and Virginias, but nothing else. I highly recommend that if the OP doesn’t like EMP to stay away from 965. And you know, off the top of my head, I can’t speak of one single poster or pipe smoking friend raving about it or making a post about smoking 965 as of late.

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There are many better Scottish blends including Rattrays offerings.
Only according to your palate. Individual palates are why there are so many similar blends with distinct. often subtle, differences in taste. That's why "bad mouthing" a blend will often generate a lot of support for the maligned blend. It's also why, when reading reviews by noted smokers. remember to pick the writers who seem to have a somewhat similar palate to yours. Differing palates are why I never suggest blends to those who seem unwilling to just jump into the "deep end" and discover, on their own, blends they enjoy. I don't want the blame! rotf Very similar to letting Amazon recommend movies, books, candy and such based on what others have purchased.

It took a few years ago, back in the day, to find the handful of blends I rely on. Over the years labels changed hands and some of my favorites went away or, underwent changes I couldn't abide. Then it was off to Iwan Ries to find a replacement. Usually doesn't take all that long.

Last edited:

PiperCalvinist

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2024
South Texas
Yeah, I guess this discussion is helping me realize a false notion I had. I bought all the separate blending components so I could smoke them individually to find out which ones I like. But the problem with that is they are not going to taste the same when mixed with other tobaccos. And even when it’s a similar pairing of tobaccos, if the percentage varies, that will impact the flavor experience. I never anticipated smoking tobacco to be so nuanced. That makes having so many different blends available an exciting!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Yeah, I guess this discussion is helping me realize a false notion I had. I bought all the separate blending components so I could smoke them individually to find out which ones I like. But the problem with that is they are not going to taste the same when mixed with other tobaccos. And even when it’s a similar pairing of tobaccos, if the percentage varies, that will impact the flavor experience. I never anticipated smoking tobacco to be so nuanced. That makes having so many different blends available an exciting!
It’s no different from cooking. Knowing your ingredients is key to building savory collations.

Reactions: PiperCalvinist

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
That's how it is sometimes. Blends that are popular, or even blends that on paper I should love but for whatever reason just don't jive with me. There's nothing wrong with a blend, even a popular blend, just not doing it for you. I've always felt that's one of the real beauties of pipe tobacco, there's so much variety out there to be enjoyed.