PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not sure about his whining but, it gets written and printed as "click bait." And, some here seem fascinated by the stuff, clicking and reading. He and his wife are creations of the media, nothing more, just like many of the Hollywood "stars." They get a free platform and many avidly read the tripe day after day, letting the stuff affect them and their outlook. "Click bait" and nothing more. The stuff that allows the media to keep ad rates up.

The real question is why do people read continuously such crap? Living vicariously I guess or just fascinated by the tribulations of others.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
It’s not just Harry. We see him because he has the media but…we have a world of soft, entitled whiners. They love to play the victim card rather than taking responsibility for things. I feel bad about the world we are leaving our children. It’s our fault for not teaching them important things about life. We let them down because we were too busy with other things. I could go on but I just fell off my soap box. Cowboy up people.

beargreasediet

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2021
The Prairie
No doubt they’ve got some royal dysfunction in that family to go along with everything else. Money can’t buy sanity, and whatever else that kids got going for him I’d bet mousetraps to Elon’s monkeys that young man has got some whacky programming in his brain locker.

He may be rebelling in the only way he knows how, and in the process will be played like a cheap fiddle. Sad really. All the world is a stage - and the current production seems to be a clown show.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think people admired Elizabeth II, those who did, because she was so restrained and stoic, that eventually it could be seen as strength. There was no doubt she had her own thoughts and opinions, but seldom let on.

My younger sister asked my older sister how she felt about Elizabeth II, and she said, "She looks pretty good, but I've never figured out her game."

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
When I am stuck in a boring situation and lacking stimulation, my eyes and attention always turn to the closest reading material. Whether it be the back of a shampoo bottle in a friend’s bathroom, or a series of informational posters and pharmaceutical propaganda at the pharmacy, if it’s in front of my eyeballs and I have no alternative, I will read it.

Such is often the case while standing in line at the grocery store. And thus, the only knowledge I have of the contemporary shenanigans of the royal family, comes from the copious rows of tabloid trash that my eyes are drawn to as the monotonous humm of the conveyor belt lulls me into semi-consciousness while the lady in front of me argues about coupons.

Thankfully, the price of eggs, being far more pertinent to my daily life, soon regains my attention, pulling me back into the real world, which the royal family ain’t fot shit to do with.

I don't think I've ever read anything about Henry. My grocery store only has beef jerky at the check out, so I know more about teriyaki than I do the Royals. I couldn't even tell you which one is whose kids, or how any of those putzes is related. I'm American. I know sesame is way better than teriyaki jerky, but I don't really care for the black pepper jerky.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thankfully, the price of eggs, being far more pertinent to my daily life, soon regains my attention, pulling me back into the real world, which the royal family ain’t fot shit to do with.
Actually their climate change scam and other policy involvement with the Davos crowd has a lot to do with the price of eggs...and everything else.

Jan 27, 2020
I prefer to do my whining and bitching about my family anonymously on internet forums about pipe smoking. Maybe it's paranoia but I'm starting to think one of the posters in this thread is actually my mother. Hey Mom, if you don't stop interfering with my hobbies I won't be driving you to bingo this week.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Say hello to the natural evolutionary outcome of living your life while talking to a camera phone.

Most of the kids who grew up in the social media feedback loop daily environment have only a small group of friends who give a shit how many times they chewed the third bite of their sandwich at lunch... But SOME of them are in historically significant positions, like this Harry guy, so their group of "friends" is a good-sized chunk of the Western World.

Making money from clicks is how most of them aspire to make a living (both the famous and the non-famous), and throwing a tantrum in public has been a spoiled child's first choice to get attention since the Dawn of Man.

Welcome to the 21st century.

(The fun part will be when the infrastructure that allows the NetWorld to exist in the first place goes unmaintained for a while and starts to collapse. Why? Because too few of the kids who want to use it are willing to study STEM subjects and deal with electrical power generating stations, electric power grids, roads, skyscrapers, shipping, water supply systems, airports, aircraft, road vehicles, bridges, sewage treatment plants, landfill/recycling tech, farming, ranching, and so forth. You know, the stuff that can't be done while sitting at a keyboard.)

It's actually pretty funny if you're old like me.

Jan 27, 2020
Say hello to the natural evolutionary outcome of living your life while talking to a camera phone.

Most of the kids who grew up in the social media feedback loop daily environment have only a small group of friends who give a shit how many times they chewed the third bite of their sandwich at lunch... But SOME of them are in historically significant positions, like this Harry guy, so their group of "friends" is a good-sized chunk of the Western World.

Making money from clicks is how most of them aspire to make a living (both the famous and the non-famous), and throwing a tantrum in public has been a spoiled child's first choice to get attention since the Dawn of Man.

Welcome to the 21st century.

(The fun part will be when the infrastructure that allows the NetWorld to exist in the first place goes unmaintained for a while and starts to collapse. Why? Because too few of the kids who want to use it are willing to study STEM subjects and deal with electrical power generating stations, electric power grids, roads, skyscrapers, shipping, water supply systems, airports, aircraft, road vehicles, bridges, sewage treatment plants, landfill/recycling tech, farming, ranching, and so forth. You know, the stuff that can't be done while sitting at a keyboard.)

It's actually pretty funny if you're old like me.

Well to be fair apparently baby boomers are stuck on their phones too but I guess they mostly have their potentially productive years behind them and will be dead once the net gets closed for resurfacing.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Well to be fair apparently baby boomers are stuck on their phones too but I guess they mostly have their potentially productive years behind them and will be dead once the net gets closed for resurfacing.

True.

The limbic system negative feedback loop affects all brains, regardless of age.

To the oldsters it's just entertainment, though. Movies and Bingo 2.0

To those who grew up in the online world and want to make a living WITHIN it, however, it's doing real damage. Damage that will get exponentially worse over time.

Just finding truck drivers, nurses, and mailmen is tough, now. Wait until the armies of people who build and maintain the complex mechanical stuff start to age out. There's no one coming in at the bottom to replace them.

Jan 27, 2020
True.

To the oldesters it's just entertainment, though. Movies and Bingo 2.0

To those who grew up in the online world and want to make a living WITHIN it, however, it's doing real damage. Damage that will get exponentially worse over time, in fact.

Just finding truck drivers, nurses, and mailmen is tough, now. Wait until the armies of people who build and maintain the complex mechanical stuff start to age out. There's no one coming in at the bottom to replace them.

I agree with you 100% and as someone who was early on the internet via BBSs and Prodigy I have developed a burning disdain for what social media has done to global societies. While not on social media I am addicted to my devices nonetheless so can one imagine what that struggle is like for the younger generation and can't exactly blame them, a lot of these kids don't really enjoy the time they grew up in, from what I gather. The internet was a lot more exciting back when you had to jump through hoops to connect now it's just like some corporate sponsored brainwashing program.

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
True.

To the oldesters it's just entertainment, though. Movies and Bingo 2.0

To those who grew up in the online world and want to make a living WITHIN it, however, it's doing real damage. Damage that will get exponentially worse over time.

That does seem to be the case. Plus recently, I read somewhere online that a poll showed something like 85% of college students believe the professors make the course work too hard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Royal lineage has been prompting family discord, not to mention coups and murders, for centuries. And the example it sets has spread to non-royal families in many corners of the globe, where the English habit of making the oldest son, if any, the heir of everything, expected to be a benign sharer with all of his siblings, but often not. This reverberated down to all of the Commonwealth and in many socially conservative places like the breakaway colonies that became the U.S.

The older brother got there first and consolidated the family fortune, and younger brothers had to make do with other assigned professions, hoping some of the family prestige and wealth would be bestowed by the oldest on them. Hence the oldest brother would be the "king," and his brothers would pursue law, medicine, the clergy, and what was called "the fourth estate," journalism. So this isn't just an issue among the remaining hold-over monarchies, but still causes family rivalry and discord in families far and wide. Harry's is an old old song.

Incidentally, the clergy used to be a far higher station than it is generally today. in many places, the clergy ran the government.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
The real question is why do people read continuously such crap? Living vicariously I guess or just fascinated by the tribulations of others.

From my British perspective, the trouble is the consequences for the monarchy, which is a vital, if largely symbolic, part of our constitution. It doesn't make sense to most people (including us), but we would be much worse off without it. It is an institution which represents the national psyche and glues our society together. Having Markle and her progeny spouting fabricated yet dangerous grievances for decades to come could be ruinous to the nation, especially in an era that doesn't respect cultural institutions and doesn't understand the importance of philosophical and temperamental conservatism (I emphasis the small 'c') and the role it plays in society. Once irreparably damaged or destroyed, the monarchy is something we will never get back, and we will only realize it's importance once it has gone.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I never considered him saying, "I can't live if living is without you" whining - more pure pain and misery over his lost love and not ready to move on.

Or we talking, "Taxi"? That was kind of whiny, IMO.

Sorry, was thinking of relevant Harrys!

Reactions: The Algerian
Status
Not open for further replies.