PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Would a shallow bowl (and possibly larger diameter) need less effort to smoke? Is more oxygen available in that case?

If your technique doesn't change between pipes I would think the squat bowl would burn at a higher temp. I think this is somewhat similar to smoking in the wind, the ember burns hotter with less effort.

Reactions: stevecourtright

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Funny, I remember the last time I smoked a churchwarden it seemed like the smoke was almost ambient. It was some cheap no-name that I thought was cool because it looked like Gandalf's pipe. Ah college.

If you pack both bowls at the same time and take an hour to smoke the first, the second one benefitted from the drying time.

If you burned your tongue on the first bowl, the second bowl is going to feel hotter.

Clearly the solution is to buy another pipe.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Some do smoke hot and change with use (try a non Virginia tobacco for awhile). I am going with Alchemy;)

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
"So takeaway technique and tobacco type"
Sorry missed this, going with just alchemy than.

There’s a certain magic to pipes... something magical. Some just make everything taste better, crisper. Some add a beautiful briar flavor, some not so much. Try different blends. Try a few bowls of a hornet mad Virginias, a deep mellow burley, a few different latakia blends. There’s bound to be a match, and finding the right way that particular pipe wants to be smoked... every pipe has a sweet spot in cadence... and, If worse comes to worse, you will at least have an aromatic pipe. Because what the hell does it matter with aromatics... ammi right? puf

stevecourtright

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2018
Evanston, IL
Fun question:

Either combustion is more efficient (releasing more calories) or the property of the wood enables more heat transfer (in the hotter pipe).

The answer might be the size and shape of the chamber creates a better draft through the tobacco, increasing the rate of combustion. The surface area of the chamber walls also may contribute to transferring heat of combustion to the briar more effectively.

Could be the heat transfer property of the wood. If the wood has more moisture, it might insulate less than wood that has more air. The wood could be denser.

I could probably come up with more nonsense but these popped up for me first...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Life's to short to smoke a ?, move on...
bClrh8i.jpg

Reactions: luigi

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Because what the hell does it matter with aromatics...
That's where folks don't get anything out of aros. Smoke anything in a garbage pipe and you'll get garbage. Smoke them in a good pipe and they taste how they smell.

Is the offending pipe in the OP lacquered?

Reactions: anotherbob

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
+1

Someone on here showed a study years ago that the smoke from a churchwarden was the same temperature of a nosewarmer. A pipe would have to be many feet long for it to have any impact on temperature reduction.
Anyone know where I can find that study?

Anyone know where I can find that study?
I remember Pipestud sited this or something along those lines... If that helps locate it.

But, it makes sense as if you watch the speed in which a straw pulls up a soda, with just the smallest of pressure. It's like instantaneous. You would need many feet for the smoke to have a noticeable delay in reaching your mouth to cool it any at all.
But, it could be that it is easier to sip on a churchwarden, making it cooler by default, but not necessarily because of the added length of the stem, but because of better technique.

There are so many variables in this whole thread. We don't even know what pipe is being talked about, what it is made of, or anything really. It's just open suppositions on a vague concept that is wide open on variables.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Cake is an insulator.
It's interesting... we seem to give cake so much magic power... If we insulated the heat into the chamber, wouldn't it make the smoke hotter?
I know that it doesn't work that way, but the way we talk about cake is actually the opposite of what we would need to cool off the smoke. We would want the heat to be pulled off the fire, so smoking in a large metal pipe that draws the heat off would give us a cooler smoke... So, insulation would be a bad thing. puf

Status
Not open for further replies.