Why do English/Balkan Blends Burn so Well?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original:

"Why do English/Balkan blends burn so smoothly and evenly compared to other blends?"

I haven't smoked a single English/Balkan blend that I haven't been able to smoke to the bottom of the bowl. No tongue bite, no overheating, just a solid tasty smoke throughout the whole bowl. On the other hand, when I am smoking Burleys or Virginias I don't think I have once in my six years of pipe smoking ever been able to smoke past the halfway point of the bowl because it simply will not keep an ember. Any idea why this is?

Last edited by a moderator:

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Englishes are the just easiest to smoke in general, outside of some specifically formulated codgers like Prince Albert.

The biggest reason in my mind is the Latakia. It's basically preburnt and because of that takes and keeps flame easily. It's just like char cloth. To make it even better it's one of the few tobaccos that I think improves with aggressive puffing. All around a fantastic blend type for newer smokers, why anyone recommends them aromatics is beyond me.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I think people start on Aromatics becuase they go to the nearest store and that is what is on the shelf. Also they labels make them sound way better than they are.

As for lat blends. I think its beacuse they are already toasted. Most my lat blends (HH aside) have a pretty low moisture level to begin with. At least my memory says so.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I think this is true, although I never actually thought of it. These days I only smoke well prepared flakes, and English is the only ribbon cut I smoke because you get a good burn and full mouthfeel. I find other ribbons to be too thin, but would certainly smoke them if that’s all I had, just don’t buy them anymore.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Title edited for caps and brevity. Original:

"Why do English/Balkan blends burn so smoothly and evenly compared to other blends?"

I haven't smoked a single English/Balkan blend that I haven't been able to smoke to the bottom of the bowl. No tongue bite, no overheating, just a solid tasty smoke throughout the whole bowl. On the other hand, when I am smoking Burleys or Virginias I don't think I have once in my six years of pipe smoking ever been able to smoke past the halfway point of the bowl because it simply will not keep an ember. Any idea why this is?

My understanding is that the Latakia slows down the overall burn rate and the Orientals/Latakia/whatever else help compensate for the pH and sugar of the Virginias, so it's just a slow gentle smoke to begin with. And since English/Balkan blends have so much flavor, there is much less temptation to puff hard to get it. So you can just relax and it comes to you. It's easy to see why people often fall in love and evangelize once they try these blends.

Reactions: fishmansf

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Nobody replied to me that you can get Samuel Gawith's Perfection in the US, it's wonderful and if you can't, complain, it is the smoothest English that you could smoke, I am never without it, I buy it in bulk, my second is Balkan Flake, plus a few other's.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Nobody replied to me that you can get Samuel Gawith's Perfection in the US, it's wonderful and if you can't, complain, it is the smoothest English that you could smoke, I am never without it, I buy it in bulk, my second is Balkan Flake, plus a few other's.

Yes you can. I love the stuff! I like Skiff Mixture a bit more, but Perfection is right behind it followed by Squadron Leader. Some of my favorite tobaccos. I have it in bulk as well as tins. I always recommend Perfection for someone looking to try an English blend.

Reactions: tobakenist