Why Are Freehand Stems Partially Inserted?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Interesting. I've always wondered the same thing.
Maybe a pipe maker will show up and answer the question. Just seems odd they would have the stem pulled partially out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is an interesting thought. I've also read that some smokers with slightly pull out the stem to prevent moisture build up. Not sure I buy into that one.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
So push in only with no turning?

I would just seat it in without to much pressure as I would any other pipe I had. Turn it if you feel you need to without excessive pressure.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That volcano actually appears on Prebens pipedia page. I have a famous pipe! :mrgreen: Damnit, now I probably can't smoke it. 8O

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I would just seat it in without to much pressure as I would any other pipe I had. Turn it if you feel you need to without excessive pressure.
Will do.
I have a Nording billiard with the same thing.

Michael no matter what, the stem won't go inside.
Might just be a Preben quirk.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have two Ben Wade's, a Preben Holm and a Soren freehand. Admittedly I've bought all at junktique shops but all of them have the stems that are fully inserted.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just think of the difference between these stems that are only fitted to the hole in the shank and stems, artisan or factory made, that are carefully formed to fit the shank exactly, and I can only think this is a decision to cut the time to make the pipe and the cost to the maker. I see that some of the great freehand craftsmen did this, so I respect it as a design decision, but once they did that, why should anyone else take the time to do it the traditional carefully fitted way. I do note that whoever made my freehands did (seemingly) a better job than that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On the few of these that I still have, I just twist them in until seated. With one of the Ben Wades, seated still leaves a section of straight tenon showing, which I just assumed was intentional. Some of these freehands feature a very raked plateau facing at the shank to stem join and were clearly never intended for a flush fit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I still really like the several freehands I have, one with plateau both rim and shank by Johs, a sturdy signature version by Nording, and a no-name Thompson Cigar house pipe stamped West Germany, and one or two others. They do have a certain style and historical flourish.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
just looks too fragile to meand I find them unappealing to look at, which is unfortunate because they are on otherwise beautiful pipes. I can't bring myself to buy them.
Well can *I* have 'em?!?!? :)
TM mantra -- "Holm, Holm, Holm......"

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I have a couple of Prebens and a Ben Wade. I do as Sable. I never had a desire to push them farther than they seat. I presumed it was always by design which, in fact, I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.