PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I have one of my Grandfather's old no-name Acorn shaped bowls. It has about as much fill as it does Briar.

Wasn't the acorn shape once referred to as the "Istanbul" shape? Or am I just mildly confused? cray

Reactions: jpberg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love the acorn. It took me a very long time to get one of my grail pipes, an original Sixten Ivarsson Peewit wit bamboo shank. Since then I have been fortunate to get 2 original Stanwell shape 30 Acorn/Peewits. And then a few more acorns. I also have two acorn commissions pending.

Original Sixten Peewit. And yes, I do smoke this beauty in active rotation.

Some more. Peewit with Stanwell variants (one unsmoked!)

More

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
So what is it that some of you like about the shape
For me it is the “originality” of the shape. It has historical roots and was one of the first artisan pipes designed as as a shape first, drill second execution. Sure it was around before then, but it served as a shape to allow creative drilling. And , if done correctly, the slight bend hangs well when clenched.

It’s also a great car pipe. Very light and easy to smoke when driving.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
I'll never forgive myself for letting this Ardor slip through my fingers.
If anyone here bought it and wants to sell it please let me know.
002-004-2453.jpg

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Acorn is up there for me - it's like a zulu that's a lot harder to pull off. They're very hit or miss. It's always been a favorite of mine, but about 90% of the ones out there look terrible to me.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Brits were doing the acorn shape long before the Danes. I have two Barling acorns, a nice rendition of the shape. Both are good smokers.
I knew you would say something like this @sablebrush52 ;). That’s why I mentioned in my post that the shape was definitely around before the artisan movement.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have a Stanwell shape 23 acorn that is my oldest estate pipe. Not old by most standards, but older than me.

I’m in two minds about it. Depending on the angle, the connection between the shank and the bowl either looks great or a bit clunky to me.

I like the way it looks on the first photo, less so on the seconds photo.

Reactions: rogers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You've hit on something here. I've shopped many acorn shape pipes over years. I'm a variety enthusiast, so I have many different shapes. I like the looks of many acorn pipes. But still no acorn on my rack. I've never asked myself why. I think the bowl tapering toward the bottom and ballooning a little toward the top may be unsettling, visually. The fact that artisans tend to add some flair or thickness to the shank suggests maybe they feel the bowl is somewhat spare. I've "loved" many an acorn, but not enough to click an order. Thanks for exploring this interesting shape.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
You've hit on something here. I've shopped many acorn shape pipes over years. I'm a variety enthusiast, so I have many different shapes. I like the looks of many acorn pipes. But still no acorn on my rack. I've never asked myself why. I think the bowl tapering toward the bottom and ballooning a little toward the top may be unsettling, visually. The fact that artisans tend to add some flair or thickness to the shank suggests maybe they feel the bowl is somewhat spare. I've "loved" many an acorn, but not enough to click an order. Thanks for exploring this interesting shape.
You need to rectify this situation and buy the one of your dreams, sir ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.