PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Lol, I’m pretty much in the same camp. I am a bassist as well, and smoked after a show but not during. My last show was back in October, and I thought I was done, but then I get a call from a guy that needs a bassist… and I’m doing a show for him the weekend.
I know just what you mean. I dread receiving a reunion call. I know I really shouldn't, but I probably would, at least for a short term.

Good luck on the show!

Reactions: Salvaje

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
My fairly new Martin HD-28 (2019). Helluva box.
I almost always have a pipe going while I play, but rarely do I clench. I usually smoke sitter or use a pipe stand and puff the pipe between tunes.

I'd say Escudo pairs with my jazz, and Burkey Flake #3 with my bluegrass. Best guess at least
View attachment 141658
I think we have the same guitar! Well, almost, mine is a D not an HD. I have trouble piping while playing- a straight cob seems to work best for me. They make a great sounding guitar!

archerdarkpint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2010

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
This is a fun thread! I actually got to smoke my pipe while playing a gig a few weeks back:

Little Kyle Greene action... - Nelson Loguasto's Cigars - https://fb.watch/cCvNzENYhW/ (I know, I know...fartbook is kinda gross) -smoking C&D Blue Ridge in that clip!

I don't typically smoke while I play just because I have to man a looper and pedal board, but it can be fun :)
That’s bad ass! I’m still learning and will eventually make it to strumming and smoking one day. Might as well since my wife is the singer in the family. Lol

• Love
Reactions: kg.legat0

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I know just what you mean. I dread receiving a reunion call. I know I really shouldn't, but I probably would, at least for a short term.

Good luck on the show!
Would they freak if you arrived with a standing bass? Bahahahahaha

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Late to this thread. Guitar player here. I've been playing in various bands for 40 years as a sideline. I never mix guitar playing and pipes. Pipes are more of a solitary thing for me. I have one bowl a day with my coffee in the morning. I don't think I could focus playing guitar while smoking a pipe. I really focus on the flavors when I smoke, so that would be a huge distraction while playing a guitar.

JocoPack

Lurker
Apr 24, 2022
Never been in a true “band” per se, though I have won a couple of talent shows at FFA summer camp lol. I do however enjoy a good bowl while picking with friends around a fire. We play a lot of Americana-esque stuff from Graham Parsons to early Drive-By Truckers. One friend of mine is really into bluegrass so we’ll pick on that a little from time to time which goes very nicely with a cob pipe in my opinion.

Reactions: Reggie and Salvaje

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
Late to this thread. Guitar player here. I've been playing in various bands for 40 years as a sideline. I never mix guitar playing and pipes. Pipes are more of a solitary thing for me. I have one bowl a day with my coffee in the morning. I don't think I could focus playing guitar while smoking a pipe. I really focus on the flavors when I smoke, so that would be a huge distraction while playing a guitar.
Interesting. My instructor told me to try and focus on something else or read while playing or watch tv so you learn it without thinking about it. Seems to work.

Reactions: vosBghos

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Another fantastic band, Faith No More. I believe that most of them were from different musical backgrounds. Drumming and piping now has a different definition. Lol
Yeah it always seems the most innovative bands have the most diverse influences among them creating a nice tension and lots of counterpoint.

I had a trio where the pianist was into Eric Satie I was the upright bassist into Edie Gomez and the Drummer was into John Bonham ( but with brushes) It was strange but it worked.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
On my 36th birthday in 1994 I went to a music shop and almost bought a $300 Washburn guitar, until the owner probably saw a man in a thousand dollar suit buying a cheap guitar, and upgraded me to a Fender Jumbo SX1500, the most expensive guitar in that place.

Being of Scotch heritage, I bought the Fender, but at exact wholesale, which was $700.:)

I knew maybe a thousand old songs, but couldn’t play a one.

I was determined to teach myself guitar, and after about a month, I called my mother, put her on speakerphone, and played and sang Fraulien in G.

She listened, and said that G was the top of my range and I needed to work on my time, so that everyone that listened would start tapping their feet. But, overall, she said it was a good effort.

I said Mama, why didn’t you teach me how to play guitar, about thirty years ago?

She took offense, at that.

She replied in the first place, you never asked. If you had, your father and I would have seen to it you had a good guitar and lessons.

But more importantly, you’ve been the best lead singer I’ve ever heard since you were just a child, and if you’d learned to chord a guitar you’d most likely be in a honky tonk today scratching out a living like Bill Hudgens and the County Liners, and not a lawyer in a new house playing a fifteen hundred dollar guitar.

I think about that, every time I sing Fraulien.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I can play the piano and banjo while smoking. Anything with more than 4 strings messes me up. Taught for 12 years on the piano. Been picking at a banjo for the last 2 years.

Reactions: UB 40