PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

johng99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Lake Havasu City
I do smoke before and after playing bass guitar, but not during, I suppose out of habit. Also, playing less frequently these days since my band days are behind me (I hope!).
Lol, I’m pretty much in the same camp. I am a bassist as well, and smoked after a show but not during. My last show was back in October, and I thought I was done, but then I get a call from a guy that needs a bassist… and I’m doing a show for him the weekend.

Reactions: RobNYC and jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My fairly new Martin HD-28 (2019). Helluva box.
I almost always have a pipe going while I play, but rarely do I clench. I usually smoke sitter or use a pipe stand and puff the pipe between tunes.

I'd say Escudo pairs with my jazz, and Burkey Flake #3 with my bluegrass. Best guess at least
View attachment 141658
I smoke all the time I play my HD-28 except I have to sit down my pipe to sing.

I’m practicing this old tearjerker now.

Brown to Blue

Smiley Bates

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Title edited for caps and brevity.

What tobacco goes with your musical choices?
none. Never had any urge to pair certain music with certain tobaccos. Though I find that when I get a chance to smoke and listen to whatever music I want to I'll pick something worthy of constant focused attention and sonic combing (listening with a fine toothed comb ;) ). So it's most likely I'll listen to jazz, classical, or something else that's a bit more complicated then the average pop rock folk stuff. (though some of that stuff can be just as layered, nuanced, and complex.). But as far as what blend. Doesn't matter. An English an aro some five brothers. Doesn't matter as long as I can lay back and focus my attentions on the pleasures and minutiae of both then I am in for an enjoyable time.
As far as the title who plays while smoking....
I once saw the drummer for Faith No More smoke a calabash while playing quite actively and producing whisps of smoke not clouds.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
none. Never had any urge to pair certain music with certain tobaccos. Though I find that when I get a chance to smoke and listen to whatever music I want to I'll pick something worthy of constant focused attention and sonic combing (listening with a fine toothed comb ;) ). So it's most likely I'll listen to jazz, classical, or something else that's a bit more complicated then the average pop rock folk stuff. (though some of that stuff can be just as layered, nuanced, and complex.). But as far as what blend. Doesn't matter. An English an aro some five brothers. Doesn't matter as long as I can lay back and focus my attentions on the pleasures and minutiae of both then I am in for an enjoyable time.
As far as the title who plays while smoking....
I once saw the drummer for Faith No More smoke a calabash while playing quite actively and producing whisps of smoke not clouds.
Another fantastic band, Faith No More. I believe that most of them were from different musical backgrounds. Drumming and piping now has a different definition. Lol

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
  • Love
Reactions: kg.legat0

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I honestly don’t like smoking a pipe while I play, I do very much enjoy dipping while I play though. Something about smoking a pipe and playing guitar just don’t mix for me, it could be that I’m playing on a newer Spanish guitar (mostly) these days and I don’t want to get ashes or embers on it. I find that both take up my concentration, I smoke to get lost in thought and just fade away, I play to get lost in the music, if I do both at the same time, I may get lost for good.