Who Makes Pretty & Funky Pipes (fancy Lucite Stems etc)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Hi all,
I've been searching for days on end and can only ever find the odd pipe that would be considered "pretty", "out there", "funky" because of it's shape and fancy Lucite stem - most are boring as bat poo with a horrid yellow stem, plain black and no embellishments at all.
Can anyone suggest a brand to me that's renown for creating funky, "out there" colourful (a bit) pipes. I don't want expensive, I just want something that looks at least a little bit feminine and different to the boring blimmen' norm!
Cheers Di

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
Vauen makes some that may fit the bill. However, be careful. Some of those types of pipes can "blister" their finish if they get too warm.

I have to peterson's one all black, the other all red which blistered when I made the mistake of smoking some hotter burning blends in them.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
Not sure how out there you are looking for, but these Graco pipes might be worth a look

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Thanks guys - don't like Meers.
Quite like Vauens but haven't found any that go beyond totally conservative "manliness".
Checked the Gracos - Blue lucite was way too much of a contrast and the amber'ish' lucite not enough.
Yep, have some unsmoked coming with thick painted finishes on them, think I'll leave them that way, or sell them.
I sound like the 3 baby bears with their porrige don't I! Maybe the answer for me is to find some bowls I like & send 'em on over to Uncle Arthur to get prerty new lucite stems on.
Is there a product that's colourful that's of a higher quality than lucite or is that about the best you can get?
Damn I hate the fact no-one caters to women pipe smokers ... I know it's a niche market, but it's a market nonetheless and one that needs filling grrrr.

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
There's bamboo. Or ivory. There's also some different woods that are used in stems are pretty good looking. I've got a few that actually have agates in the shanks and clear stems.

terry

Oct 7, 2011
Aussielass,,,,go to savinelli website and have a look at their "Black and white" pipes.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Lordy Terry, they look like bleedin' Dalmation dawgs lmao! Still, they would go nicely with my corset I must admit - it'd be nice if they did Red/White, Pink/White and plain elegant White to go with my others!
I guess when I say pretty I'm after subtlety, red wine or darkest green/blue's in Lucite, or even the amber but with lots of really distinct swirls, then perhaps some brass embellistment in the form of raised rings or bands to add interest. Crikey's you'd think if anyone was going to do anything to my taste it would be Georg Jensen.
Off to give this new briar bowl another attemped breaking-in smoke, be still my lungs, be still, we'll be fine.

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
He's been AWOL these last few days from what I've seen. I'm waiting for all my crap vintage/estates etc to arrive, then I'll give them all a bit of a clean up & post 'em back on over.
What does the average lucite stem cost to get made & fitted, anyone know? Oooh the possibilities - hot orange & hot pink, lime green & sky blue lmao.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
The Nording Harmony pipes have an interesting pattern to the briar but they've got regular black stems. As for fancy shapes the Ser Jacopo Insanus series is... interesting.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Try Mastro De Paja, I have one with a multi coloured extra long full bent stem, and it smokes great, I had it as a christmas present and it has been my chrismas morning pipe ever since.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
img_1679-600x450.jpg
I had Boswell's make me a green smallish bowled warden with a green lucite twist stem for St Pat's day last year. You might try them.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Aussielass
Try Mario Grandi pipes. They are made in Italy and can be found on their Ebay site as this is how they sell them. I have bought 2 of them in the last month and find them to be great smokers!!!
Good luck!

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Mario Grandi production is mostly for the american market and not so famed in Italy.Ardor pipes also produces mostly for the american market, but Rovera family has a brand well known and respected here.Ardor pipes are in the highest quality available and are in the quality range of Castello or Dunhill, for my taste probably better.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Oh, you want some funk with your pipe ????

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=W&srch=DW&tier2=399

Its worth googling for more pics. He's always changing his pipe styles, doing something new. The only thing his pipes all have in common is mad genius (and funk).

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Check ebay for Mario Grandi, I've seen alot that I thought looked frilly
Quality is also there too, I have bought 4 so far.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.