PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Well, if you like Dan aromatics, then you must have a pretty "European" taste (me, in my turn, I have an "English" one, so no much rave from me about Dan tobaccos). Those two Turkish blends are as far from anything European / English / American as it can be. Actually, those blends are rebranded legacy Turkish pipe mixtures, well known in Turkey since the 1930s. So they're rather very peculiar "local specialties", than the Latakias and Orientals we know from English mixtures. Latakia is smoked with some different kind of wood so it has much more of a "smoked fish" note than the "creosote", more familiar to us in English and Balkan blends. Oriental mixture has some very interesting and unique leaf in it - like unsmoked Yayladag, which is essentially the same variety they used to produce Syrian Latakia from, but overall the blend is fairly acrid and one-dimensional, anything richly Oriental from Samuel Gawith (Squadron Leader or Sam's Flake) or Dunhill (Durbar, London Mixture) is far superior to it.
I think the "rustic" designation would be spot on to characterise those two Turkish blends. They aren't bad in any way but they aren't as refined as English/European-produced blends of the same types.
No wonder the Turks distribute their new Pesse Canoe brand exclusively on Asian markets, no sight of those blends in Europe or America yet.
Worth to try out of their educational value, but definitely not worth to pay any premium price. I got my samples brought directly from Turkey and to be honest, I'm glad I ordered just a pouch of each sort, and didn't order a stash of several pounds.
I was asking about Dan because they seem so popular in Japan but I’m not sure I can call myself a fan. Thanks so much for the comments on the Turkish. I do like Gawith’s English blends. I think I’ll skip the Turkish; they’re expensive even here in Japan. Gawith and Peterson is more affordable.

Reactions: cersono

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
All these blends are on offer in Japan. Hmm…

DAN Tobaccos are good. Since 1991 they produce their blends in their own factory situated in North of Germany. Apart from their aromatics, they produce a whole range of „clean“ natural blends, flakes, plugs like Hamborger Veermaster, Salty Dogs, Ascania to name a few or their range of „mix your own“-tobaccos. Get some over there 👉 n Japan.

I am not shure if you’re talking about the brand DTM „DAN Tobacco Msnufacture“ or about Danish Tobacco blends, which are quite different from another and not to be mixed up.

Reactions: milk