Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
I notice that Dan aromatics get either very few reviews on Tobacco Reviews, or poor reviews. Being an American in Japan, I’m rather limited in products and I do see quite a lot of Dan stuff on the market here, some of it even unavailable in the States. I’m just wondering who, besides the Japanese, are keeping these products alive? I’m wondering what accounts for the lack of appeal of these tobaccos to English-speaking users or to the demographic that populates review sites and forums around here. I’ve also searched a lot for other places that might have reviews of Dan stuff, just to see an alternative opinion - like, maybe there are a bunch of Germans and Dutch who love the stuff. No go. They must exist. There are so many products coming out of Dan. Most get almost no reviews or low reviews at Tobaccoreviews. There is something a bit odd about Dan and it’s marketing. For example, they put cartoon pictures of a blender from the company on the cans sometimes. But, whatever.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Dan Tobacco Manufactering (DTM) produces some very good pipe tobacco of their own and also is the blending house for other European blends. If you look at tobaccoreviews.com and search under brands, Dan Tobacco has 123 blends listed with over 1500 reviews. While I'm more familiar with their Torben Dansk line, there are also a few other brands that are manufactured by DTM.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Yum yum awards for Devil's Holiday and Sweet Vanilla Honeydew.
DTM is one of my favorite blenders and I do love me some Blue Note.
I've tried Blue Note and liked it. Most Dan blends have less than 10 reviews. These three are the exception but they don't clear 3 stars on Tobaccoreviews. The ones that do clear 3 stars have less than 10 reviews and some have only one or two. That's what I'm seeing roughly though there may be one exception. So I'm wondering if there are many Europeans who like Dan that don't comment, review, or buy in the English-speaking virtual world. I'm wondering if there's something different about Dan that makes them unpalatable to Americans.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@milk Sounds like you’re over blowing the importance of forums & review sites. Not sure I understand your angst.
I’d guess that the vast majority of pipesmokers don’t read or post reviews.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Of their aromatics I've only had devils holiday and Ita my favorite aro. For non aromatics. Tumbling dice is a great vaper. And old ironsides is a good English tho it's a Latakia bomb.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
@milk Sounds like you’re over blowing the importance of forums & review sites. Not sure I understand your angst.
I’d guess that the vast majority of pipesmokers don’t read or post reviews.
Kind of yes. I mean, that’s a potentially satisfying answer: that the kind of people who like Dan just don’t review much or:
like I have said aros just don't get reviewed as much. They kind of have an easier time telling you what to expect when you smoke it then other styles of pipe tobacco.
another explanation that works. Dan is just like other aros. I did once post the question of why aros generally get such low scores on tobacco reviews and many people commented on that. Maybe Dan is just no different. There are so many Dan products available in Japan, maybe a dozen - many are not for sale in the States. Caro Mio, for example, is an expensive 100g can that seems popular. I was trying to find a review of any kind and I finally succeeded in finding an Italian review of YouTube. I don’t speak Italian but I got the gist.
I was thinking maybe their market was more in Europe.
Of their aromatics I've only had devils holiday and Ita my favorite aro. For non aromatics. Tumbling dice is a great vaper. And old ironsides is a good English tho it's a Latakia bomb.
Timms 1000 and Holly’s Discovery are great Latakias from them. Their products are quality, whether their aros are popular or not.

Reactions: KruegerFlap

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
@milk, I would say Dan is not just like other aros, unless you are referencing the way tobaccos get rated/reviewed on TR…

I think that the fact they quickly go out of stock speaks for itself. Every one I’ve tried has been an excellent blend of quality and interesting tobacco that’s not wiped out by the flavor, and they’re not soaked in PG.
Many of the popular “other aros” can sit in a non-airtight tobacco jar for months on end and not dry out.

I think they’re awesome, with Devil’s Holiday being my favorite-only aro, (or any tobacco for that matter) that while I’m still young in finding what I like bothered to put a pound of on my shelf.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
@milk, I would say Dan is not just like other aros, unless you are referencing the way tobaccos get rated/reviewed on TR…

I think that the fact they quickly go out of stock speaks for itself. Every one I’ve tried has been an excellent blend of quality and interesting tobacco that’s not wiped out by the flavor, and they’re not soaked in PG.
Many of the popular “other aros” can sit in a non-airtight tobacco jar for months on end and not dry out.

I think they’re awesome, with Devil’s Holiday being my favorite-only aro, (or any tobacco for that matter) that while I’m still young in finding what I like bothered to put a pound of on my shelf.
Interesting. They must be popular and certain blends are often sold out in Japan.

Jun 23, 2019
Another Dan's Tobacco fan here. I lean more towards their virgnia blends but Devil's Holiday, Honey Dew, and Bill Bailey's Birthday Blend are all great examples of aromatic blends.

If you have these readily available near you, consider yourself lucky and go try them all!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Kind of yes. I mean, that’s a potentially satisfying answer: that the kind of people who like Dan just don’t review much or:

another explanation that works. Dan is just like other aros. I did once post the question of why aros generally get such low scores on tobacco reviews and many people commented on that. Maybe Dan is just no different. There are so many Dan products available in Japan, maybe a dozen - many are not for sale in the States. Caro Mio, for example, is an expensive 100g can that seems popular. I was trying to find a review of any kind and I finally succeeded in finding an Italian review of YouTube. I don’t speak Italian but I got the gist.
I was thinking maybe their market was more in Europe.

Timms 1000 and Holly’s Discovery are great Latakias from them. Their products are quality, whether their aros are popular or not.
it's like any other art form. The people that get really into often appreciate things that just aren't as main stream. And main stream stuff often gets painted as beginners stuff. Though another thing is aros tend to be much more temperamental then other tobaccos. A lot of the bad reviews I've read on aros tell me more about the smoking technique of the smoker then what came out of the tin.

Reactions: suamrai61