PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Thanks for the insight. See, I didn’t realize CB was an aromatic. I still have a lot to learn.

I don't like Captain Black either, and figured initially I thought I wasn't an aro guy. Then I found out that there are some really great aros out there and I smoke them regularly. They come in a staggering variety of tastes/aromas, so don't give up on them yet!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't like Captain Black either, and figured initially I thought I wasn't an aro guy. Then I found out that there are some really great aros out there and I smoke them regularly. They come in a staggering variety of tastes/aromas, so don't give up on them yet!
some of my favorites are aros. There are some great aros out there. Just cause captain black isn't fun.....

Mar 1, 2014
I differ. As my favorite codger always said, "There's a lot of blends that will get you where you want to go, but the high octane will get you where you want to go faster."

It took me three years from startup to find Dark Flake. When I did smoked in disbelief. So strong, so dark, so rich. Within a year, anchored in Dark Flake, high octane weedage was most of what I smoked.

So yes, beginner beware, smoke these in a small bowl, and if you don't like it, put the pipe down. But instead of waiting three years. I wish someone had introduced me to these blends first thing.
Funny thing, coming from a background of total prohibition from any common vices, I was driven to experiment and within six months of buying a pipe I had some rope and Irish Flake.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've read posts from guys here who've been smoking pipes for decades and they say they are still learning nuance.
Every bowl is an entity within its moment and you are its engine.
The one thing you should have with your pipe, with others and with your self, is patience.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I was a cigar guy and my 1st pipe tobacco came from a shop. The guy mixed red Virginia and burley in equal portions with a little cavendish (Optimum). Like a drug dealer, he didn’t charge me - see if you like this. I did.

When I later asked for a recommendation in a tin, he sold me MacBaren’s Navy Flake, which was similar to what he blended for me. Description: “ A mild flake blended from the finest burley tobaccos with added ripe Virginias and cavendish. Navy Flake is light burning, making the lighting of the pipe very easy.”

It’s a good blend for new smokers.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I differ. As my favorite codger always said, "There's a lot of blends that will get you where you want to go, but the high octane will get you where you want to go faster."

It took me three years from startup to find Dark Flake. When I did smoked in disbelief. So strong, so dark, so rich. Within a year, anchored in Dark Flake, high octane weedage was most of what I smoked.

So yes, beginner beware, smoke these in a small bowl, and if you don't like it, put the pipe down. But instead of waiting three years. I wish someone had introduced me to these blends first thing.
Reframe: I think a beginner has plenty to keep up with than managing nicotine. 3 or 6 mos.? Certainly at a year.
The very capable reviewer for his site before current referred to high octane guys as risk-takers. Not everyone enjoys the risk of a punched ticket.

But in the same vein the verbiage in the forums, that smoking rope if not beyond the pale certainly means a pale-face dive into the toilet, is an opinion I find untrue.

See for yourself.

Reactions: anotherbob

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I used to be a Captain Black devotee 40+ years ago. Loved the stuff and it was pert near the only blend I smoked. Once I began widening my horizons I left it behind. A couple of years ago I decided to buy a pouch and see if the magic was still there. It tasted like a chemical spill onto which some fool had dumped rancid vanilla.

You're received some good suggestions and I agree with Carter Hall as something worth trying that is also beginner friendly. But, I would recommend that you buy Chatham Manor, rather than Carter Hall. Chatham Manor is a clone of Carter hall, blended by master blender Carl McAllister, that uses better grade components and doesn't have the chemical aftertaste that's present in Carter Hall.

It may be that all of the chemical additives in many of these OTCs is what made you nauseous.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Short and sweet of it is,

I am completely new to pipes. I am not new to smoking (cigarettes/cigars).
I live in a very small rural town and needless to say, there are no tobacco shops nearby. I did manage to find some Captain Black Original at the local pharmacy and after trying it a couple times, I can't stand the taste. Made me sick to my stomach, enough so that I almost tossed my few pipes thinking "Hey, this just isn't your thing". Now, perhaps its not, but I'd like to make a few good attempts at some different tobaccos.
Being that I'll have to order online, the options are overwhelming.

Is there any advice on recommendations? I know this is a very subjective thing, but I am hoping for 3-5 options that I could order and that would give me a wide array of styles to see if any of them click.
I don't know what made Captain Black Original not sit well with me, but I'm not looking forward to going back down that road.
Another option is to peruse the site and get a well-respected sample of each style of blend. Get a straight va, va/per or va/or, Burley and an English or Balkan. This should be a good representation of the styles and help you start honing in.

I'd recommend Pease Union Square, Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls or C&D Sunday Picnic, Amphora Burley and Ashton's Artisan Blend or Balkan Supreme. Those are all well-loved and usually easy to source. If you've got access to Samuel Gawith, replace the Union Square with Best Brown Flake or Full Virginia Flake as they're much superior to my taste.

Reactions: Reggie
Mar 1, 2014
I was a cigar guy and my 1st pipe tobacco came from a shop. The guy mixed red Virginia and burley in equal portions with a little cavendish (Optimum). Like a drug dealer, he didn’t charge me - see if you like this. I did.

When I later asked for a recommendation in a tin, he sold me MacBaren’s Navy Flake, which was similar to what he blended for me. Description: “ A mild flake blended from the finest burley tobaccos with added ripe Virginias and cavendish. Navy Flake is light burning, making the lighting of the pipe very easy.”

It’s a good blend for new smokers.
People have praised that blend constantly over the years and I never paid attention because it's not on the extreme end of any spectrum (not a heavy English or VaPer).
Now that I see "light burning, making the lighting of the pipe very easy" in the description I'm pretty sure I'd fall in love with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.