PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Yes, it is one of the most topped tobacco's out there. Casing is applied at a very early stage of processing, is usually light, and is usually sugar based (although not always)...i.e., honey, molasses, simple syrup, etc., topping is applied afterward and just before packaging...these can be anything from vanilla flavoring to cherry, to grape, to all the stuff they put in CB.

Although anything cased and topped are technically aromatics, most people just consider topped blends to be aromatics. In my personal opinion even blends with Latakia and Perique are aromatics as well, but many would argue that point (I hate Latakia and Perique).

Off topic from the original question but I have to ask why you would argue that blends with Latakia or Perique are aromatic? Is it just the flavor? If so then why not also include Kentucky or Orientals in your aromatic classification?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
If possible, you should find a Brick and Mortar tobacco store. The Tinderbox (pre-covid) would let you sniff the lids of the blends and order 1/2 oz samples.

I think this would be your best bet on picking stuff to try out.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Off topic from the original question but I have to ask why you would argue that blends with Latakia or Perique are aromatic? Is it just the flavor? If so then why not also include Kentucky or Orientals in your aromatic classification?
There are now two who will so argue. Most accept the general classification that those components do not an aromatic make.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
-Nightcap
-Early Morning Pipe
-Escudo
-Orlik Golden Sliced
-Carter Hall

Those should give you a general starting point. If you thought Captain Black was that bad (It was basically the first pipe tobacco I tried, and I thought it was bad too) you should avoid aromatics for now. Many will say beginners should avoid aromatics altogether because they will taste like air if you aren’t good at cadence.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Suggestions: Don't throw out the pipes; it is something that circles back around and you may want to do years later. Even if you find blends you like, don't buy anything in quantity for a few years while your taste evolves. Sample small quantities ... single tins, and ounce or two of bulk, a pouch. Suggestions for blends to add to the list: Petersons 965 (used to be Dunhill 965); Amphora pouches in sample pack of several genres; and I'll second Orlik Golden Sliced.

OutofOffice

Lurker
Sep 23, 2020
Texas, USA
If possible, you should find a Brick and Mortar tobacco store. The Tinderbox (pre-covid) would let you sniff the lids of the blends and order 1/2 oz samples.

I think this would be your best bet on picking stuff to try out.
I’ll definitely keep in mind next time I make my way into the big city.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Really, tobacco itself is an aromatic, but some of the strong curing methods make them more so. I’ve never smoked oriental on it’s own so I didn’t want to comment on it and to me Kentucky is sort of mild
and not quite as pronounced as the others, although you are right that I probably should have included that too

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OutofOffice

Lurker
Sep 23, 2020
Texas, USA
Suggestions: Don't throw out the pipes; it is something that circles back around and you may want to do years later. Even if you find blends you like, don't buy anything in quantity for a few years while your taste evolves. Sample small quantities ... single tins, and ounce or two of bulk, a pouch. Suggestions for blends to add to the list: Petersons 965 (used to be Dunhill 965); Amphora pouches in sample pack of several genres; and I'll second Orlik Golden Sliced.
Great advice.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Being that I am a cigarette smoker (not exactly a light one at that) is it possible that what I experienced is what I can only describe as nicotine toxicity even though I wasn’t inhaling it?
I tried vaping years back (does fessing up to that get me kicked off here? Ha!) and I noticed that if I wasn’t careful I would have a similar reaction. Nausea, sweats, etc.
I just wouldn’t expect a single bowl to do that.
It’s the humectant and junk on it

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Not a beginners best choice.
I differ. As my favorite codger always said, "There's a lot of blends that will get you where you want to go, but the high octane will get you where you want to go faster."

It took me three years from startup to find Dark Flake. When I did smoked in disbelief. So strong, so dark, so rich. Within a year, anchored in Dark Flake, high octane weedage was most of what I smoked.

So yes, beginner beware, smoke these in a small bowl, and if you don't like it, put the pipe down. But instead of waiting three years. I wish someone had introduced me to these blends first thing.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Being that I am a cigarette smoker (not exactly a light one at that) is it possible that what I experienced is what I can only describe as nicotine toxicity even though I wasn’t inhaling it?
I tried vaping years back (does fessing up to that get me kicked off here? Ha!) and I noticed that if I wasn’t careful I would have a similar reaction. Nausea, sweats, etc.
I just wouldn’t expect a single bowl to do that.
My bet was that you were doing quite a bit of inhaling without realizing it, being so accustomed from cigs. Inhaling pipe smoke like a cig could give you the sweats pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.