Who Is the More Iconic MM Smoker, Popeye, or Douglas MacArthur?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Definitely MacArthur, even if people don’t like him they know of him and his cob. People may think he didn’t do well in the Philippines but that was planned as a holding maneuver to stall the Imperial Japanese military from spreading out further and it worked. Granted no one likes a retreat even if it’s tactically advantageous, people focus on that not that it tied up the Japanese military for FAR longer then they expected or could afford.

Reactions: STP and UncleRasta

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Was Popeye's pipe really a cob?

Even in the cartoonised character, the lattice-like texture of a cob can't be seen:

popeye.jpg

Could be a briar poker for all we know.
Could be a plastic bubble blower!

:sher:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
MacArthur was a complicated figure, but as he promised, U.S. forces returned to the Philippines and backed down the Japanese expansion. MacArthur's negatives were that, as a cadet at West Point, his mother established a residence nearby where Dougy could safely retreat, which is not exactly what the West Point experience is supposed to be. And after World War One, he marched on his own veterans in Washington D.C. who were demonstrating for their unpaid promised bonus. He made his commander in chief, President Truman, wait for his arrival for a strategic meeting, and Harry soon, appropriately in my opinion, fired him. Whereupon MacArthur made a sentimental speech to the Congress about how old soldiers never die, they just fade away. MacArthur wanted to be a sort of military emperor, but luckily, he did fade away. Other famous men who "suffered" absolute adoration in their youth and childhood, and used that exalted ego to advantage, were Picasso and Norman Mailer, among many others.

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Except some of those Veterans when told to leave then assaulted the police and broke through the barricades. The Bonus they were promised weren’t to be paid out until 1946 as per the bill drafted in 1926, the bonus were called “tombstone bonus”. Coincidentally it was Roosevelt who was the main force behind delaying the bonus’ because it would be “bad for the economy” the same man then politicized the action the MacArthur was ordered to do by Hoover to get elected as President. I guess it’s not such a new tactic after all. Yes I’ll admit MacArthur ignored a written letter from Hoover that stated not to evict the Anacostia camp but MacArthur wasn’t the type to leave a portion of a problem unchecked to rear its head latter on.

Reactions: kcghost and STP

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
David Crosby.

.... of CSN? Never saw an image of him with a corncob pipe..... although on one album cover I remember seeing a briar pipe and stem of the briar pipe sticking out from a coffee mug in which it appears he was letting the pipe rest.

Not really sure if he smokes/smoked much tobacco either...... although he was well known for enjoying a greener leaf.

Attachments

• 10300BCD-6FEF-4FCA-A1B2-B75792A64CBF.jpeg
    10300BCD-6FEF-4FCA-A1B2-B75792A64CBF.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Bug Out McArthur was not held in esteem by troops. Worked with a Batn Death March Surivor, DONT mention McArthur to him. Popeye is world famous!
I couldn’t blame the guy for feeling that way but it was orders from above to hold that island until the last man feel that caused that not the man following the orders. There wasn’t a snowballs chance in hell to win that battle but to hand over the Philippines would have meant the end of the island hopping campaign before it even began. It sucks to say, and this is why a softy like me couldn’t be a General, but sacrifice is needed for victory and the military sacrificed those men in order to stall the Japanese advance so we could build up in Australia. Also MacArthur was ordered to retreat to Australia he didn’t ask for it. Lastly when Gen. King surrendered (directly breaking orders) half of the US and Filipino fighters didn’t surrender instead disbursed into the woods to fight a guerrilla war they waged until MacArthur returned. I do feel bad for those who received the shit posting and orders in the Philippines and therefore feel there sacrifices they made and standing in the face of unimaginable odds makes them true hero’s. I have relatives through marriage that were Filipino soldiers in that battle and were part of the death March but they bare no ill will towards MacArthur or the US Gov. they get the bigger picture

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Huck Finn smoked corn silk in his cob. I'm not sure what Mammy Yokum smoked in hers. I feel like Popeye was a burley guy. For name recognition, I think Popeye probably wins, despite his fading with the younger generations. Huck has one or two "scenes" in the book where he smokes, whereas Popeye is rarely seen without his cob. Olive Oil didn't mind his smoking except for the Latakia room note.

Status
Not open for further replies.