PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I sometimes wish I hadn't invented the Internet. If I wouldn't have there'd still be tons of great estate pipes and tins of vintage tobacco on the flea market tables. Damn this genius brain!

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
At present, I have four pipes. A Peterson Donegal Rocky, a wee Chacom, a Horn-Stemmed Ropp, and an MM cob.

Of those, only the Pete and Ropp get any serious use - the cob has been smoked twice in the last six months, and the Chacom, as beautiful as it is, I just don't get on with the mouthpiece/button.

I don't get too much time to smoke, so there's not much point having dozens of pipes. Or, really dozens to tins of tobacco - I have four or five tins on the go at the moment, plus one tin of Penzance that's being saved for a special occasion.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Out of all of mine, my meers and my Vauen Auenland churchwardens have been my most preferred for the past month. May be on the verge of a major collection reorganization.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I have 15+ sitting on a ledge going into the basement. Another 10+ buried within my cellar. Another 10+ in a storage box & another 15+ in a drawer upstairs. Maybe a third are unsmoked. Interestingly I still have my first pipe purchased in '89 or '90.
Honestly if I had a house fire I'd cry over the cellar more than the pipes. I can honestly say I could live the rest of my life out smoking 2 or 3 cobs in rotation and only a couple blends. But who wants to do that?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is really fascinating. There ARE some folks who pursue this hobby/interest/habit with fewer than 30 pipes, and one who buys more pipes but doesn't smoke a number of them. The personal arrangements and thinking on this are all over the map, which I think is a good thing. I was a some-time pipe smoker with about six pipes for many years, so I've been there, in a sense. But there are others who may add their perspectives.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Might surprise some since I restore for SPC but I have TEN pipes on my rack: five Shells (three of which were bought new), a Tanshell, a 1924 Bruyere, a Ropp Sandblast Cutty, a Peterson Special Spigot, and a Sav Semi Churchwarden. Plus a cob, which sees no action to speak of, and has some sort of sentimental value. It smokes like shit, but I use it those times I don't feel like taking a briar, or rolling one up in papers, so very very infrequently.

Since I've started collecting mainly Gp 3 Shells, and cut back on smoking, no need to own more than what I consider the bare minimum.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have 35 artisan made pipes and then one Savinelli( my first pipe) one old LJ Peretti that I hang on to because it reminds me of all the times I used to go to their store in Boston with my dad. It is actually a fine smoker with a comfortable vulcanite stem. I have one older Upshall, one very old Lane Era Charatan, and one pretty old Willmer that are left over from my English pipe collecting time. I have one Castello Collection Occhio di Pernice that I bought because I always wanted one. I used to collect Castellos and love the way they smoke, but the acrylic stems are just not my thing anymore so the Castello doesn't get that much use probably a few times a month. This give me a total of 41 pipes and honestly that is plenty. All of the artisan made pipes get smoked often and my Charatan, Castello and Willmer get some play as well. My Savinelli hardly ever gets smoked and my Peretti needs to be sent out for an ozone treatment because I ghosted it badly testing out some Lakeland blends.
At one time my collection had over 75 pipes in it and it really was too many for me. I really dislike looking at a pipe that never gets smoked. I really should quit buying at this point and probably will slow down. Unfortunately this site is a very bad enabler and hanging out here just makes me want to buy and buy and buy. I hadn't bought a pipe in the 8 months I took off recently but as soon as I got back, PAD and TAD reared their ugly heads, and I am in the throes big time.
The more you hang out here,the more pipes and tobacco you will buy. It is just the way of the universe and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
I feel like my collection is fairly modest in comparison to guys like peck, foggy, old cajun, fish, and many others. I can always look in the mirror and say, I am not as bad as those guys. :nana:

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I currently have 4. I had 6 but sold 2 of them, as I bought them with the intention to sell!
I've been smoking for 7 months now, but I'm working on getting more. I hope to own at least 3 or 4 more by the end of the summer, but we'll see how that goal goes.

Mar 1, 2014
Ok, including all the pipes I've broken and given away, and Cobs, I have 45 pipes.

One was bought nine years ago, another two years ago, and 18 were after IPSD 2015 which is more than 12 months after I started pipesmoking (the beginning of February 2014).

So I guess my PAD rating is 25.
But man those clays, cobs and giveaway pipes make it look three times worse than it really is.

wcasey

Lurker
May 12, 2015
I have 9 and I've only been smoking for 2 1/2 weeks. I'll need to get professional help if I keep buying at this pace. 8O

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I have seven pipes that I rotate. Two more should be in my mailbox today or by the end of the week for a total of... well, yea, I'm sure we can all add here. Two I use for Va's, three for English blends and the other two I use now, they are undecided. One is an old Parker bull dog and it's leaning towrds the darker Va's like Blackwoods Flake and Dark Star. The two in the mail are estate pipes. I sent those out to Mr. Mark Tinsky to be fixed. One is a 1980's ASPC. I got a new stem for that one. The other an old Custom-bilt that just got a good cleaning. I can't wait to see the ASPC. That'll be a flake pipe. It's a biggie. Very exciting for me. My method in my rotation is a stem cleaning after every smoke and I let the pipes dry out with the ashes in the bowl for a day or two, dump the ashes and dry them out until the next smoke. At least a weeks rest in total. It's been working out nicely for me.

Two HST's on the same thread? Gonzo Journalism lives!!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Peck, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who can get that "0" character fixed on your keyboard. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.