Who has Been Successful Losing Weight and Keeping It Off?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
My downfall is usually sugar and alcohol, stimulating the appetite beyond my needs with little benefit beyond dopamine spikes to show for it. A couple years ago, I did a "Drynuary" and the weight just fell off.

I'm sure if I cut out all processed sugar and alcohol, I'd slim down in a jiffy, but it wouldn't be sustainable. So I keep kicking around a plan of front-loading each day with healthy low-sugar food that's filling, and then setting an alcohol "budget" for each week of 7 drinks or so. My cycling club is basically a party group, so I imagine I would be using up most of my "allowance" that night, but then I'd be forced to cut back the rest of the time.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
I hate some of my regiment but it beats dead by a long shot.
Thing is it becomes second nature after a couple weeks.
I miss heavy booze though.
Now just a glass of red wine a couple times a week.
I stopped heavy boozing after 25. Best decision of my life. I had to be big for pro wrestling but I never had "the body". I looked more like Harley Race lol.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
No Pasta or potatoes (maybe twice a month)
No red meat.
No sweets.
No fried foods.
No bread unless it’s wheat or rye.
No sodas (unless diet soda)
Walk or run 6 miles a week and your
Back to 20 yrs old in 3-4 months!

This is the kind of protocol that works. You create a list of rules for yourself, and anything within those boundaries is fair game. I've done something very similar a few times, with success. For me it was just four rules:

No eating before 10am or after 6pm
No alcohol (if you have a beer every night, just cutting this will be huge for you)
No grains except pasta once a week.
No added sugar (drinks, candies, baked goods, etc.)

• Love
Reactions: MattRVA and PaulRVA
H

HRPufnstuf

Don't eat in front of the television.
Share meals and meal prep with someone.

This more than any other thing helps me keep weight off through winters, my seasonal work keeps me very active so I don't need to monitor much through the summers. These are both difficult for me, I live alone.

I float between 185-190 in winter and between 180 and 185 through the summer. A hair under 6 feet tall.

I would like to get down to 175, but years of competitive cycling have left me with a metabolism that requires enormous amounts of time to do enough exercise to lose weight. I would be spending 2-3 hours a day in a gym to make small gains in weight loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
I exercise alot, but its a moot point compared to the work to be done in the kitchen. I have very poor self control when extra food is available and will binge like mad at parties/potlucks, so I reduce those opportunities in my home. For dinners, I weigh and freeze my meats, and only thaw one serving at a time. For grains, I only cook one small portion at a time, and for veggies, I don't limit myself. Snacks and desserts are not stocked. I try only enjoy alcohol in moderation... though this would be my biggest vice. When my wife and I do takeout (usually chipotle or hibachi) we will only buy one meal and add extra meat, then split it between the both of us.

I'm continually learning to break down all the nutritional platitudes that I grew up with.
'eat 3 meals a day'
'cereal is good for cholesterol'
'eggs are bad' or 'eggs are good'
'low fat=healthy'
'dont eat red meat'
'eat more veggies'
etc etc etc

I use only my own rationale and experience to determine what is good for me and what isn't. Nutritional science is a great scam.

Whenever I go through periods of weight gains, one thing I notice is common: I am never hungry. I'm moving from one meal to the next and never really in need of it. When I experience weight loss, its common for me to have a growling stomach or feel some minor hunger sensations. This is not painful or tragic. I take pride in knowing that I'm eating when my body wants sustenance, not just because the clock hit a certain hour of the day.

I am 28yo, 6'3 and usually fluctuate between 192-202 pounds, winter months typically being the higher end. Married and first kid is on the way, so I expect my current routines to be challenged.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
All good info, but other than just cutting out sweets and soda pop on the regular, cutting down on beer, none of this is sustainable.

Anyone I’ve ever known that does any kind of diet (call it a lifestyle if you like but it’s still a diet) ultimately fails and gets fat again. I’m trying to think of one person I’ve known where this isn’t the case and I can’t think of ONE.

I’ve read a lot on this topic, podcasted it, etc and still don’t have clarity on exactly what has happened in our culture when it comes to food, obesity, etc.

Look at old pics of men on the street and most of them were pretty slim compared to today’s man. None of these men in the 1920s, 30s, 40s skipped the biscuits, ate only once a day, etc. These people all are dessert on the regular, drank beer whenever they wanted, etc.

I know food has changed and maybe that’s a big part of it. Fast food fried in plastic wasn’t around back then, for example.

It just doesn’t seem like it should be so hard.

To be clear, I’m not a huge guy, but have about 20 extra pounds that might as well be 100 seeing how hard it is to get rid of it.

Reactions: MattRVA

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
This is the kind of protocol that works. You create a list of rules for yourself, and anything within those boundaries is fair game. I've done something very similar a few times, with success. For me it was just four rules:

No eating before 10am or after 6pm
No alcohol (if you have a beer every night, just cutting this will be huge for you)
No grains except pasta once a week.
No added sugar (drinks, candies, baked goods, etc.)
This took 60 lbs off me and maintains it between 3 lbs plus or minus.

Reactions: SBC

HeavyLeadBelly

Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
All good info, but other than just cutting out sweets and soda pop on the regular, cutting down on beer, none of this is sustainable.

Anyone I’ve ever known that does any kind of diet (call it a lifestyle if you like but it’s still a diet) ultimately fails and gets fat again. I’m trying to think of one person I’ve known where this isn’t the case and I can’t think of ONE.

I’ve read a lot on this topic, podcasted it, etc and still don’t have clarity on exactly what has happened in our culture when it comes to food, obesity, etc.

Look at old pics of men on the street and most of them were pretty slim compared to today’s man. None of these men in the 1920s, 30s, 40s skipped the biscuits, ate only once a day, etc. These people all are dessert on the regular, drank beer whenever they wanted, etc.

I know food has changed and maybe that’s a big part of it. Fast food fried in plastic wasn’t around back then, for example.

To be clear, I’m not a huge guy, but have about 20 extra pounds that might as well be 100 seeing how hard it is to get rid of it.
Eh remember that for many of these men and women they were working jobs eight to twelve hours a day on their feet and not in an office sitting all day. On top of that the food they were eating wasn’t hyper processed as it is today so I strongly believe that adjusting your diet to incorporate less processed foods combined with daily exersize is the key to weight loss.

Edit: I also don’t believe in “dieting” as a short term solution. I’ve never bought in to weight watchers, atkins, keto , etc. I’m a believer in changing a whole lifestyle if you want to see consistent results. Which is hard to do in this day and age being surrounded by multitudes of really awful food choices. And, if you do have access to natural food a lot of times it’s in a coop and you better be making enough money to afford it.

G

Gimlet

I looked into this about a year ago when I wanted to lose about a stone. I bought a book called The Full Diet, which was written by a British NHS doctor and nutritionalist. It was a revelation.

Essentially, assuming you have no other medical conditions which are affecting your metabolism, the secret to losing excess weight and maintaining a healthy and stable weight indefinitely is to control your blood sugar, not count calories or consciously restrict your intake. If your metabolism is healthy your body will do this for your. If your blood is surging with sugar, your gut bacteria is destroyed by artificial chemicals and there is a disconnect in the messaging between your gut and your brain, it can't.

High blood sugar is extremely bad for you, especially for your brain, so your body produces insulin to get rid of it. The insulin can't force it to be excreted or burned up, so it converts the blood sugar into fat cells. These are then deposited around the body as your blood circulates. It dumps it in the easiest places first, which is your liver, then around your vital organs (visceral fat) and lastly around the muscles and under the skin, which is the fat you can see and makes your clothes tight.

If you eat foods which reduce and stabilise your blood sugar your body goes into fat burning mode and you will lose weight rapidly and it will stay off. And you won't feel hungry or have food cravings.
If you merely count calories and those calories come in the form of foods which raise blood sugar, you will continue to gain weight regardless of exercise. And you'll lack energy and constantly feel hungry and miserable.

Basically, cut out all simple (refined) carbohydrates, all refined sugars and all processed food. That means no flour-based foods, so no bread, pasta or any bakery products. And no high-sugar/high starch vegetables like potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, and no refined sugar or high sugar fruits like bananas, pineapples grapes, mangoes or fruit juice (eat moderate-sugar whole fruits, not the processed juice).
And cut out all ultra-process food. So no e-numbers or chemicals. If it didn't walk, swim, fly or grow out of the ground, it isn't real food and you shouldn't eat it. And only natural unprocessed oils and cooking fats, so olive oil, butter, lard, and pure rapeseed oil. Never hydrogenated stuff. And cut out or greatly reduce alcohol consumption, and never drink every day.

I've been eating like this for a year now and the results have been dramatic. I lost the desired stone, I eat at regular times, I never snack and I can tolerate the normal feelings of hunger which tell me when it's time to eat without experiencing food cravings. I never over-eat anymore and I don't have to think about it.

I also follow a regime of only eating between the hours of 10 am and 6 pm. Between those times I eat healthy food in normal quantities and I don't count calories or exclude fat. That means the full range of fruit and vegetables (excluding those mentioned above), all kinds of fresh meat and fish, all whole diary products (never "low-fat" or processed), eggs, all herbs, spices, nuts, pulses and low carb grains like bulgur wheat. Everything freshly prepared.
I never eat anything from a can or packet unless it is made from unprocessed natural products that I could buy from a butcher of a greengrocer. Everything is fresh.

I've found eating fresh is a lot cheaper than processed and doesn't actually take any longer to prepare.

I am lucky though, in that I live alone, so I do the shopping and I control what goes into my fridge and cupboards, and I am the one cooking my food. The difficulty comes when you live with other people or in a family. If you've got teenage kids, good luck keeping processed food out of the house.

But trust me, if you can do it, eat only natural, low carb and sugar foods and only eat within one eight hour window in every 24 and the weight will fall off you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London

Calorie intake several decades ago was about twice the average of today (even in war time Britian, Brits ate more calories than now). What has changed is our lifestyle - driving everywhere; desk jobs; heating and air con (heating and air con are massivley overlooked causes of weight gain). We naturally burn far fewer calories than we did 40 or 50 years ago, so we get fat and un healthy.

I am not sure what is so unsustainable about a lot of the advice you've been given, and I've know plenty of people who kept the weight off (including myself).

20lbs is not a lot to loose really - cut 500 calories a day and that should come off in a bout 6 months. 500 calories should be quite straight forward and shouldn't effect your day to day very much. What is your usual daily diet and physical activity, if you don't mind me asking?

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Calorie intake several decades ago was about twice the average of today (even in war time Britian, Brits ate more calories than now). What has changed is our lifestyle - driving everywhere; desk jobs; heating and air con (heating and air con are massivley overlooked causes of weight gain). We naturally burn far fewer calories than we did 40 or 50 years ago, so we get fat and un healthy.

I am not sure what is so unsustainable about a lot of the advice you've been given, and I've know plenty of people who kept the weight off (including myself).

20lbs is not a lot to loose really - cut 500 calories a day and that should come off in a bout 6 months. 500 calories should be quite straight forward and shouldn't effect your day to day very much. What is your usual daily diet and physical activity, if you don't mind me asking?
When I say unsustainable, I’m mostly referring to eating once daily, not eating this or that. Most of that stuff goes out the window by being invited out to dinner or to a party. Also, who can go the rest of his life not eating pasta, drinking a beer, and enjoying ice cream? Who’d want to?

I’ve never considered AC/heating and weight gain.

FYI: I do manual labor for a living, lift weights in the AM before work, take a 30-min walk at lunch with a 50-lb rucksack on my back, and eat entirely too much for dinner most nights.

G

Gimlet

I should add, there have been other unexpected benefits from my diet. I have a chronic back problem and this has greatly improved and I take far less medication for it. Also, for years I've had chronic gum disease. I haven't lost any teeth, I don't have any fillings but my gums have receded and I've had a hell of a job keeping gum inflammation at bay. I was visiting the dental hygienist every two or three months and spent hours carefully flossing and using those little dental brushes, and still I would get that burning tingly feeling and bleeding gums every time I brushed.

That has completely gone now. I only go to the dentist for a routine check-up every six months and my gum inflammation has disappeared.
I'm not an expert but I assume cutting out processed food is responsible for this because it was causing cellular inflammation.
I also very rarely get minor ailments like colds.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've noticed the AC effect in myself, and wondered how widespread that might be. When I'm outside in the summer, all I want to do is drink water. I have to force myself to eat. And the body has to burn extra calories to keep cool.

When I'm bored and comfortable inside, it's hard to resist snacking.

Reactions: MattRVA
G

Gimlet

When I say unsustainable, I’m mostly referring to eating once daily, not eating this or that. Most of that stuff goes out the window by being invited out to dinner or to a party. Also, who can go the rest of his life not eating pasta, drinking a beer, and enjoying ice cream? Who’d want to?

FYI: I do manual labor for a living, lift weights in the AM before work, take a 30-min walk at lunch with a 50-lb rucksack on my back, and eat entirely too much for dinner most nights.
You don't have to cut out pasta or ice cream forever, only while you're trying to lose weight. If you're trying to get your body into fat burning mode and you then go and eat foods which raise your blood sugar, you system will go straight back into fat storing mode again. And while it deposits fat in the easiest places first, it also burns them form those areas first as well. So if you've got fat in your liver or around your vital organs, calorie restriction (starvation) will cause the fat to be burned from those places first, and from your muscles and under your skin last, and all the while, the blood sugar spiking foods are putting it straight back again as fast as your exercise is burning it up so you never lose weight and that belly fat never seems to shift.

Once you've lost the excess weight and you fat storage areas are empty, you can eat pasta etc again but only in occasionally and in moderation.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London

I agree - who wants to never eat pasta again! Just don't eat it every night. And I also agree, once a day eating is not for everybody. You seem to be sure it's eating to much for dinner, so the easiest thing to suggest than would be to reduce the portion size a bit. As others have suggested, add more 'fresh' (ie. non processed) stuff to it, and use olive oil etc.

The thing with AC/Heating is that it stops our bodies regulating temperature, which is another way of burning calories. In the modern world we can quite easily stay at a comfortable 25-28C/ 80F all year round. You live in Texas, so I am assuming winters are not particularly cold, but summers are real hot. Try not using any AC or heating for a while, and accepting the natural ambient temperature. That will also help you lose weight. Here is a link discussing this, there is more out there if you go looking for it.
From personal experience, I have seen this work both on myself and on my girlfriend. I never use the heating (don't have air con) in the winter, and the flat gets pretty cold. When my girlfriend started going out with me she hated it the first winter, but suddenly lost a load of weight as I told her she would.

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC

Is it fair to say the industrial age has allowed men to reap all the benefits that the earth has to offer, while offering a fraction of the sweat? Chemical sanitation of commercial produced goods surely has negative health effects on all, but are maybe too subtle for us to pin down. Not to mention, the shift in occupations to staring at screens may play a part in the mental health crisis. Modern medicine is a miracle, but I can't ignore some disappointment in a growing dependence of a population on antidepressants or stimulants.

If we could turn the clock back a few hundred years and try again, would it be worth it? We could take our pipes

sorry for derailing, but my mind always goes these places when someone asks these questions. I've only recently started to wonder these things.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I started walking years ago, not to lose weight but because it was a good excuse to get out of the shop and see the sunshine daily. It also clears my head and keeps me sane. Many people think walking a bit each day will keep one thin, but just look at all the overweight Mail-carriers.