PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have been a person who adapts to everything. I started after finishing the army, in the world of trucks, logistics, national and international transportation, also in trucks for highway construction, and large earthworks. When I was very young, it gave me freedom, getting to know other countries, gastronomy, fantastic people from Europe. Driving powerful heavy vehicles, learning their mechanics, working outdoors I always liked it a lot. I have had other jobs, in the field of private security. I couldn't be locked in an office. Work dignifies man. Yes, I like to be entertained, learn and you also have a salary. I am an ant, who does not see three on a donkey, but very happy.1901501c6328f2bd278feef6781dca47fb30d9cb_00.gif

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve a calling…I genuinely feel that way about what I do. My job is to be of service as a nurse. Too many folks have jobs where they “have to go to work”. I’ve a career where I more often than not “get to go to work”. It’s about perspective. Do I ❤️ it everyday…no. Do I ❤️ it more often than not …hell ya. Truly blessed to be of service. 🙏

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Speaking of Santa Rosa, the best enchiladas I ever ate were at the Comet Drive-In about a half mile into town off the east I-40 exit. Grandma made 'em, and one of the prettiest girls I ever saw in my life---the owner's daughter---served them. Always with a smile.

There was an empty lot around the corner big enough for 18-wheelers, and when I came back from eating lunch one day was greeted by a friendly roadrunner. After taking a few pics I actually sat on the flatbed and talked to the little guy for a while.

Good times. :)

View attachment 265219
View attachment 265220

PS --- Sanata Rosa is famous for one of the heaviest hail storms ever recorded:

Meep meep

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It ebbs and flows. There are certain parts that have exceeded my biggest dreams for my professional career. There are other parts that remind me of just how disappointing people can be and can be quite miserable. Then there’s all of the normal stuff in the middle. The extreme highs outweigh the extreme lows, fortunately, so far.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I worked 42 years as a dentist, and hated it. I realized pretty early on that I wasn't going to grow to like it, but soon, family and responsibilities came along, and there's not much else one can do with a dental education. Yes, there were good days when things went well, but I found out early on that I didn't fit with a job dealing with sometimes stressed people very close up. I was careful to get good anesthesia, and offered nitrous oxide sedation free to anyone that wanted it, but still, I hated getting up in the morning. I made a decent living, and after I retired a few other dentists told me my patients loved me. But I hated it.

serpentx

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2023
Stanislaus County, California
I worked 42 years as a dentist, and hated it. I realized pretty early on that I wasn't going to grow to like it, but soon, family and responsibilities came along, and there's not much else one can do with a dental education. Yes, there were good days when things went well, but I found out early on that I didn't fit with a job dealing with sometimes stressed people very close up. I was careful to get good anesthesia, and offered nitrous oxide sedation free to anyone that wanted it, but still, I hated getting up in the morning. I made a decent living, and after I retired a few other dentists told me my patients loved me. But I hated it.
There's something heroic about doing a job you don't like for 42 years, for the sake of family. I hope your retirement is pleasant and fulfilling

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!

I have two friends that are dentists. They hate the job as well. They refer to themselves as pain merchants.

But they love the money and both work only 3 1/2 days a week.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I have two friends that are dentists. They hate the job as well. They refer to themselves as pain merchants.

But they love the money and both work only 3 1/2 days a week.
Well, if anything, I was obsessed with not hurting people. Occasionally, it was inevitable, but those days were one of the reasons I hated it more than my patients.

Daddypants

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2023
Central Texas
I don't know how that company stays in business. I guess never paying ANY taxes EVER sure helps.

Several years ago now, they bought out a bunch of companies in the oil and gas industry. Mostly manufacturers and suppliers. They then told the once functioning and profitable businesses that they weren't doing things "right" (the GE way) and then proceeded to run them into the ground and make them unprofitable. Eventually they sold them all off or they all went insolvent. I know I will never knowingly buy any of their products again, if possible, and I wasn't personally affected by their decisions.
I worked for 15 years in a small subsidiary of a major corporation with G and E in its title. We made electrical boxes, AC disconnects, transfer switches, ect. I was a fabricator who started as a temp and worked my way up to 3rd shift boss. Even as a supervisor I loved to run machines (presses from 5 ton to 600 ton, CNC punch presses and break presses) when I could. At the end of a shift I had a tangible reward; I had made "stuff" out of flat steel. Then big corporate bosses had the great idea to shift production to Mexico to save on labor and 5 years later the plant was shutdown. I still have dreams where I'm back running the equipment.

Last laugh was on them because that company so screwed up their production they no longer make electrical boxes anymore.

Reactions: dunnyboy

auskip07

Lurker
Feb 26, 2024
Im a Pre Con manager for a large internet retailer. I dont love my job but if it affords me the opportunity to retire quicker and take care of the people i love then so be it.

Ive always loved building things. From legos to erector sets, as a kid i used to tear my toys apart with a few screw drivers from my dads tool room and find out how they worked. As i got older my ability to take apart and re-assemble improved and i expanded my horizons with larger more complex things to take apart such as engine's etc.

Reactions: dunnyboy and JOHN72

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Do I love my job? Love it no, but I don't hate it either; money is great, secondary's are great, team I work in is great, the people above me are working with and not against me to get the job done.

But the field of IT isn't as fullfilling as hoped, there are lines of code that do something, but are not really tangible. I'm not an software engineer, but facilitate the software engineers in assignments for what their code should
functionally accomplish, manage workitems and check if they still have enough to do for the next week, test the software and check with end users if the software checks the boxes in regard of functional requirements. So in a way I get happy faces when a piece of software we deliver makes life of people on the workfloor easier or generates more revenue because we offer a new of improved service, but that's about it.

I wished I had chosen a career where you actually see the results of your work. Be it creative in creating a product you can touch, feel, smell, eat or drink. When I was in school I got to work in a kitchen help prepping the chefs for mise en place before diner service and washing dishes during diner service and I actually enjoyed it. I also worked in agricultural sector (greenhouse) and also enjoyed that. At the time there was always a stigma on "creative" jobs that they won't pay the bills, tradeschool wasn't "cool" and persuing a deskjob had the "it" factor. In a way it's still that way, but not as much, tradeschool is getting back in fashion again for example after decades of pushing academics as the way to go.

You would say it's never to late to switch careers, but I have different priorities now. Not complaining and I can be creative when I'm not at my paid job, but a fulltime "creative" gig would be really cool.

Reggie

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2020
Gardendale, Alabama
This week I will retire from 30 years of Law Enforcement. Did I love it? When I started , I would have worked for free. The last 10 years were tough. The first 20 had ups and downs. I acquired many mental scars from seeing how cruel humanity can be. I ventured into every area of the profession that interested me. Bomb Technician, K9 Handler and SWAT Team sniper. This week I can truly say “I’m done with it!” Last year I attended HVAC school at night. I am 58 and entering into a new career in Commercial HVAC. Hopefully this will allow me to clear my head and not be too jaded against my fellow man.

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I'm the guy who was a dentist a few posts back...
Just so I don't sound like a total Durwood Downer, I had some "college Jobs" I still remember fondly. :)

I worked in a book warehouse one summer, and got to climb all over the shelves like a monkey... And during breaks, I could climb up to an upper shelf with something to read... Cliff, of "Cliff's Notes" helped me get that job.

I worked pushing a lawn mower for a lawn service one summer. Hot work, but I got to know some good, and "different" guys and saw the whole range of places people lived.

The best was delivering pizzas in the evenings and late nights for two years. I got to see a lot of people in their "natural habitat," and got more stories, and learned more about people, than I ever did in a sociology or psychology class. Nobody puts on a show for the pizza delivery guy. :) Fun memories...

I wouldn't want to try and make a living at any of those, but what an education...

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Just rolled across this........

I'll say the mass layoffs have likely destroyed a lot of younger sentiment towards their employers in the corporate world. I think most even keel folks can understand layoffs when things are not going well, but you have a lot of companies doing very well and doing mass layoffs. They'll tell you in an all hands how positive things are going and then send out layoff emails the next day to "right size" for the future.

That puts a HUGE existing, remaining workforce in a state of complete distrust and detachment. I manage some people, the remote thing is nothing. Bad workers are bad workers, good workers are good workers and we all work under a hybrid policy. I'll tell you what though, when a layoff goes off it damages everything especially when all of the reports are positive.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Very interesting thread. I've been self-employed for more than 30 years, and though I really loved the jobs when I wasn't self-employed (recording engineer, radio broadcaster, advertising creative) ... being self-employed has been, and is, the best! I'm a lecturer, writer, consultant, and husband -- I love all of those jobs!