PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I dump about midway too. Doesn't work too well in a meer, which is slippery on the inside and usually releases the whole load when tipped over. Works best in a cob, which really 'hangs onto' the tobacco and allows for an easy dump of the ashes. The smoke always seems to improve by dumping the ash, often coming back to the original taste. It's hard to know how much to tamp after dumping the ash. I don't have that part down yet.
barely letting the tamp do the work kind of tamp it evenly over the bowl till you have a nice level tobacco plug. The amount of force is pretty much the same if you lifted the tamper a few millimeters about the tobacco and let it drop. sort of a light circular tapping motion if that makes sense. I hope that helps.

brut666

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2020
Kent, "The Garden Of England"
I feel like keeping the ash and ramping lightly is critical in keeping the draw right.
Agreed, almost like a ash lid to keep the air flow correct.
Hoosier, you made me feel better about it. I tried a bowl and dumped the ash half to three quarters of the way down and didn't seem to enjoy the last bit as normal. I'll keep doing what I do ??

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The ash cap insulates the ember and keeps the pack hot with less effort to keep the pipe lit. My pipes only get dumped when I'm finished smoking them.

cstrat1985

Lurker
Nov 16, 2020
Thanks all for the information very interesting seems there are 2 camps the leavers alone and the tinkerers I suppose the pipe, Tabaco and the environment you smoke in i.e indoors, outdoors, etc all play a part. I guess with experience you understand and and when to leave alone or tinker.

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
I never dump ash during a smoke until im finished. It gets tampered down with the rest. That said, I smoke outdoors all the time, and in a windy country like Ireland, I don't need to dump. A lot of ash is automatically scooped up and away by the wind.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I was also surprised. Made me feel like I was doing it wrong by not doing it ?

It's funny I felt the same but for the opposite reason, seeing people saying they never do it. I think we need a name for that feeling when you get to reading something on the forum and then second-guess yourself but what you're doing has been working for you and likely doesn't need a change ?? ....

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Most of the time I just keep tamping until the end and rarely dump ash. Although rare there have been times that I have felt the need with certain blends. When that happened I lightly poked at the ash, turned the pipe over and let it fall out. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to which ones did seem to need it.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Bam

Lurker
Nov 25, 2020
I sometimes remove a bit of the built up ash if its getting in the way but I have always carefully scooped it out with the spoon of the Czech tool. I think I was afraid everything would all fall out if I tipped it upside down. Maybe I will give it a go, everyone else seems to just tip it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I sometimes remove a bit of the built up ash if its getting in the way but I have always carefully scooped it out with the spoon of the Czech tool. I think I was afraid everything would all fall out if I tipped it upside down. Maybe I will give it a go, everyone else seems to just tip it.
Just don't do it with a cube cut blend or it will all fall out.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Both schools in a sense. Outside esp when windy, I flick the ash out. Some remains which is fine. Inside, I rarely remove ash, and it's always grayish-white.