PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I'm working on a few vulcanite pipe stems that have oxidized significantly and plan to use Oxiclean to help bring them back to black.
Which oxiclean product is best to use for that?
Thanks,
RR

xrundog

Lifer
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah, I’ve used it and don’t like it. It doesn’t react in a predictable reliable way with all rubbers.
Magic Eraser and Soft Scrub cleanser does a nice job with lighter oxidation. Leaves a pretty smooth surface for buffing.
Otherwise it’s wet sanding with 800 grit. It can look black indoors and still have green lurking. Check your work in direct sunlight. Like rays of sunlight shining right on it.

Kirklands

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2023
Kansas City, Missouri
I've used Tide Multi-Purpose Oxi with good results, but now I use Bar Keepers Friend with 0000 steel wool or a kitchen scrub pad. Almost always, however, I follow up with 400, 600, and 800 sandpaper and then micromesh through the whole range: 1500-12000. The Bar Keepers Friend just gets the surface grime off and the sanding does the real work.

AreBee

Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I'm not an expert, but I've had success with the Oxi-Clean brand on the dozen or so pipes. Soaking for 30 minutes to an hour. I then polished with 2,500 to 12,000 grit polishing pads. The first time, I mistakenly left the stem to sit in the dish in direct contact with the oxy clean granules and that marred the finish and required a lot more sanding with grittier pads (400-1,000). Since then I stir it aver minute or so, preventing direct contact with the granules for a long period of time.

img_3107-jpeg.310314
img_3121-jpeg.310315

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I'm not an expert, but I've had success with the Oxi-Clean brand on the dozen or so pipes. Soaking for 30 minutes to an hour. I then polished with 2,500 to 12,000 grit polishing pads. The first time, I mistakenly left the stem to sit in the dish in direct contact with the oxy clean granules and that marred the finish and required a lot more sanding with grittier pads (400-1,000). Since then I stir it aver minute or so, preventing direct contact with the granules for a long period of time.

img_3107-jpeg.310314
img_3121-jpeg.310315
This is my preferred method as well.

Reactions: AreBee
Sep 28, 2024
I have had good and bad results. Most of the time when I use oxiclean, it brings most of the oxidation to the surface, and it is easy to remove with micromesh. One heavily oxidized stem I had was pitted badly when I removed it from the bath. I have decided to stray away from using it, and stick to micromesh and buffing wheels.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Oxidation pits vulcanite when it is severe. Bleach can remove or at least soften much of the oxidized material, which exposes the pits. When oxidation is significant, the ONLY way to restore them to deep black, smooth, and shiny is to sand the surface until the pits have been removed, then you can use finer abrasives followed by buffing with rouge to bring it back to like new. You can make them look blacker and dull with deoxidizers and then temporarily shiny with oil, but to do it right, you have to sand.

I recommend starting with a high quality 600 grit automotive wet/dry sandpaper, like 3M. Use it with a few drops of water. Wrap piece of it around a foam nail board to work in corners and to sand the end of the stem near the tenon. This will help prevent rounding over edge, which would be obvious after putting the stem back on the stummel.

Roach1

Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I have had several stems that were overly oxidized. I wet sanded in various grits up to 10 000 the used Savinelli stem polish. They turned out good. I have yet to try micromesh.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Nothing moves the oxidation to the surface. It is a fixed layer and nothing removes it other than removing that layer of material. There is a lot of wishful thinking on the web. The bottom line is the oxidized layer is deterorated hard rubber. You cant fix broken. It must be removed.

Removing the oxidized layer by hand is a lot more precise than trying to chemically remove it. If a chemical has an effect just keep in mind you are eating away material. If you are trusting enough to do that then thats cool...its your pipe.

Reactions: Roach1