Which of These Racks is Better for the Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Special order only with an 18 month wait. I used to use closet shelves but they've long been filled with tobacco jars. I'm closing in on my final selection of just 15 Weavers, 14 Everetts, 7 Kenans, and a rack of CAOs for a rack on my work desk so all of them will be able to stay in a table drawer next to my recliner.
Where will the lee von erck’s go?

Piping Abe

Can't Leave
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I don’t think option A or B would have any negative affect on a pipe. Option A is basically clenching. And i’ve never heard of someones shank snapping because they were clenching.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
For those who are interested. Here's a pic of A la Pipe du Nord's storefront.
View attachment 210563
One of my regrets is that when we were in France a decade ago I was a one pipe and one open tin at a time smoker. I remember seeing the shop with a bunch of dudes smoking out front and never went over…we also traveled to st Claude and the entire history of that area was lost on me. 🤦

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
One of my regrets is that when we were in France a decade ago I was a one pipe and one open tin at a time smoker. I remember seeing the shop with a bunch of dudes smoking out front and never went over…we also traveled to st Claude and the entire history of that area was lost on me. 🤦
When we visited, my wife and I were the only two in the store along with the woman who owns the store (can't remember her name). She was great. I purchased three A la Pipe du Nord 150th anniversary pipes from her. I'm sorry that I never went up the spiral staircase to the lounge. I plan to return sometime in the future.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For what it's worth, Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint uses option B to display most pipes.

If ever nearby, it's a Shop worth checking out. Various tins, inexpensive housemade pipes and house blends with a focus on aromatics, and a museum. Walking inside is like stepping back into the early 1980's.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Mar 26, 2023
I think both of these are neat takes on pipe racks and want to build one but I want to make sure the pipes are not stressed as they sit on the rack. Which do you think would be less stress on the pipes or are they both fine?

Option A:

View attachment 210414

Option B:

View attachment 210415

If you think it's option B, do you know where I can find those clips?
I am sure those clips are not hard to find...try checking at local hardware stores (if you have a TrueValue hardware near you they're good folk!); or even go onto the website for Grainger's (major league source for tools etc; well known to guys in the trades as well as anyone who works in manufacturing). FWIW, my local tobacconists (Old Virginia Tobacco Co.) display pipes on a wall using these sort of clips; but they don't just use the clips. They have a little 'shelf' running under each row, sort of milled out to allow the pipe bowl(s) to rest. Considering how customers come in to 'fondle' new pipes, it is a testament to the practicality and durability of those sort of 'wall rack' systems for pipes. Hope this helps. Moshe ben David

Reactions: AroEnglish
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
ouch option A is going to break at least one stem. Nah but I see it distorting the shape of the longer stemmed ones. Also just looks wrong. I can't say why but it's not doing it for me. The clips are much nicer.
Yeah, was thinking the same thing. I'm not a particularly clumsy guy, but I could see me catching a pipe and breaking it, when reaching for another pipe.