Which of These Racks is Better for the Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Option A looks unusual, and I would also worry about bending the stem after storage for years. For sale it is a good idea.

Option B is what they use at Briarworks, which I think is where the picture was taken. When I was there, I looked at the set up and decided not to consider it. It did take some force to put the pipes into the holder, and I would worry that it would mark up the finish over time.

Has anyone used this type of wall hanger? It would hang it upside down with only gravity and has a protected surface. You could also space it according to the size of the pipe. Anythoughts?

1683578282247.png

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Option A looks unusual, and I would also worry about bending the stem after storage for years. For sale it is a good idea.

Option B is what they use at Briarworks, which I think is where the picture was taken. When I was there, I looked at the set up and decided not to consider it. It did take some force to put the pipes into the holder, and I would worry that it would mark up the finish over time.

Has anyone used this type of wall hanger? It would hang it upside down with only gravity and has a protected surface. You could also space it according to the size of the pipe. Anythoughts?

View attachment 220582
Yes, I think B is from BriarWorks. It looks good but I agree (and others have commented) that it would likely wear out the finish on the shank.

G

Gimlet

I'm planning a pipe cabinet and having looked at all the options I think I'm just going to have tiers of narrow shelves with the pipes resting on squat leather of wooden ring stands which I can make myself and which will be fixed in place.
No strain on stem and mouthpieces, no risk of damage to finishes and the cleanest means of display.

Reactions: AroEnglish