Which of These Racks is Better for the Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I think both of these are neat takes on pipe racks and want to build one but I want to make sure the pipes are not stressed as they sit on the rack. Which do you think would be less stress on the pipes or are they both fine?

Option A:

aknfkaga.jpg

Option B:

IMG_5757.JPG

If you think it's option B, do you know where I can find those clips?

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I think both of these are neat takes on pipe racks and want to build one but I want to make sure the pipes are not stressed as they sit on the rack. Which do you think would be less stress on the pipes or are they both fine?

Option A:

View attachment 210414

Option B:

View attachment 210415

If you think it's option B, do you know where I can find those clips?
I think they're fishing rod clips.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, B. I think those clips are sold both as fishing rod clips or as tool clips for work benches, so either sporting goods that have an expansive inventory and not just shoes and shorts might have them, or wood-working or auto parts places might have them. Some persistent Googling will probably turn them up, or you could ask at a pipe shop where the owner actually installed the pipe wall himself.

I feel I should mention that both these styles are not particularly efficient for use of space. A standard open pipe rack with two levels of ten pipes each takes up a fraction of the space, and considering how pipes accumulate, that could become important.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Option A seems like it has the potential for pipes taking a spill; while it may not be that different than clenching, the prolonged storage seems like it will put a fair amount of stress on the stems over time. When not being being used, that’s 24/7 of prolonged stress on the bit area.

Option B seems a less risky proposition as long as the clips are snug enough to prevent the pipes slipping out of the grip. I’d be a little concerned about the material of the clip and wear to the finish of the shank if it’s not soft.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
When will your patent pipe storage system drop? I’ve enjoyed the sneak peaks on your Insta feed of option C

View attachment 210548
Special order only with an 18 month wait. I used to use closet shelves but they've long been filled with tobacco jars. I'm closing in on my final selection of just 15 Weavers, 14 Everetts, 7 Kenans, and a rack of CAOs for a rack on my work desk so all of them will be able to stay in a table drawer next to my recliner.