Which Meerschaum Brand Would You Recommend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I'm looking to try a good quality meer, well engineered and with good stem work.

For the meer fans, which brand gives you the best overall satisfaction? Altinay? Altinok? IMP? Or other?

And what would be your Pros and Cons of this material? puffy

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I have an altinay and two meers by Ahmet Govem. They all smoke extremely well and so far, I haven’t tried a meer that was a poor smoker. My main pro of meerschaum is that you can smoke it all day without the bottom of the pipe collecting moisture as easily as a briar. Also you get to watch them color. There are no cons that I can think of.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have an altinay and two meers by Ahmet Govem. They all smoke extremely well and so far, I haven’t tried a meer that was a poor smoker. My main pro of meerschaum is that you can smoke it all day without the bottom of the pipe collecting moisture as easily as a briar. Also you get to watch them color. There are no cons that I can think of.
They're light, as well. The only con I can think of is they're more fragile than a briar.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Lately, ive been smoking a no name lattice while I deliver packages. It looks and feels more fragile then what it is. I have probably banged it around at least a half dozen times. Yeah it has few scratches but it's still intact. I'm glad I started with this cheaper meer that way I could get used to it in case I didn't like it. Now for income taxes I'm getting me a custom. Probably an AGovem or Altinak because of price and craftsmanship. I'm highly sure that any company willing to put an artists name on meerschaum is worth it whatever company you choose.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If they are ornate they are prone toi chipping or a break if dropped. Solid, sparely embellished, they'll survive a drop on most hard surfaces with, maybe a scratch. Really no different than briar as a drop will somethimes in a broken pipe.

They moisture in the bottom of the bowl as partially what colors the mineral. The proper color, from inside to out, is from the liquids bleeding into the pores of substance.

Lot's of different smoking and cleaning techniques posted on various threads. I'm very "old school" with regard to cleaning, pare cake to nothing, keep dirty hands out of contact with the meer's surface. But, that's how I was taught almost sixty years ago.

Can't speak to today's makers. I haven't purchased a meerschaum in twenty or so years as nothing has caught my eye. I believe nine are all CAO's if memory serves.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My experience is limited to an IMP and a 124 year old little British sold Meer. Like them both a lot. The IMP was a new one, an acrylic stem that doesn’t feel “acrylic-y”, and the pipe works great - really glad I was influenced by Meer mania (kidding) to buy it. I like it so much and wanted something a little more personal so I commissioned a Meer from Altinok - it’s gone from Ankara, to Cincinnati to wherever at the moment and should be here next week! Optimistically nervous about it.

Edit: now a few months with the IMP, I’d say a plus is flavor comes through great (but I can’t claim it’s better than my favorite briars). No negatives - it’s a chubby 🍎 and I don’t even worry about dropping it any more than any other, but I am protective, lol.

Last edited:

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Lately, ive been smoking a no name lattice while I deliver packages. It looks and feels more fragile then what it is. I have probably banged it around at least a half dozen times. Yeah it has few scratches but it's still intact. I'm glad I started with this cheaper meer that way I could get used to it in case I didn't like it. Now for income taxes I'm getting me a custom. Probably an AGovem or Altinak because of price and craftsmanship. I'm highly sure that any company willing to put an artists name on meerschaum is worth it whatever company you choose.
AGovem uses the screw-in push pull tenon and Altinay/Altinok use the permanently affixed push-pull. Both smoke well just thought you should know.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
According to Tinderbox, meerschaum comes in 12 categories (grades) in 5 qualities each. Thirty some years ago the largest seller of CAO pipes on earth was a man who looked like the old honky tonk country star Charlie Rich in Springfield, Missouri, who claimed the only assurance of quality in a meerschaum was to rely on a knowledgeable and reputable seller and price, sort of like diamonds.

They are all white, all hand carved, and all quality meerschaum pipes today come from Eskisehir, Turkey.

My recommendation is Paykoc.

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
I'm fortunate to have a few meers, Altinay, Altinok, Bekler and Baki.
For me it's my Baki meers I reach for the most. They feel a little more robust and look great. Altinok comes a close second.
Alas my custom made Altinay '105' detached from its stem a few years back and I've never got round to repairing it. It's a shame as it was a lil beaut.
As with most things pipe related..you get a range of advice and answers. Do some research, ask questions but above all choose a meer that really resonates with you. If you love it then that's all that matters. Happy meer hunting. puffy

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
Are there any differences between the block meerschaums and the pressed meerschaums?
Quality of smoke, durability, coloring during use, etc.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Are there any differences between the block meerschaums and the pressed meerschaums?
Quality of smoke, durability, coloring during use, etc.
I'm told block is superior in all categories you mentioned. Ive never had a pressed meer before though. It's essentially meerschaum chips glued and pressed back together. Yuck.

Reactions: Briar Tuck