PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I love Canadians.

I like most traditional shapes like Billiard, Prince, Lumberman, Bulldog etc.

Not a fan of the wilder freehand types or one of a kind shapes.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Prince - just can’t stand it.
Or anything that’s a classic shape with a flat spot shaved off to make a rounded pipe a sitter

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Take this with a grain of salt, because I’ve definitely seen exceptions to what I state below:

Straight billiard- always looked a little boring.
Princes- too delicate-looking.
Bulldogs/Rhodesians- if not done “right” they look like the end of a gentile’s cucuzza.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Thank you everyone for your responses so far, and please keep them coming.

When I started this thread my intention was not to create a list of most loathed shapes, but to highlight the fact that for every shape existing, there will be someone who will love it, even if there are a lot of nay-sayers.

For example, I love bulldogs, but not necessarily Rhodesians. I have fairly strict criteria which bulldogs I buy - I dislike tall bulldogs, or ones with elongated shanks/stems. Bulldogs (the canines) are meant to have over-sized heads, and short and squat, compact bodies. Anything else will not meet Cruft's standards. So I choose my bulldogs (the pipes) accordingly.

To my eye there is something inherently wrong with Castello's prognathistic Shape 55. But it has lots of fans and even a dedicated thread or two on these Forums.

Vive la difference ! :)

Reactions: Ettrick puffer

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Author

I love the looks of an Author but just don’t smoke them comfortably. Have several that I throw into my rotation occasionally. They don’t stay there long.

Reactions: OzPiper