PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Quite honestly for this and the "billiard" thread - any shape that's balanced in form and designed well is a nice pipe in my book. There are some stellar examples out there.

My least favorite pipe is a poorly designed one, regardless of shape.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of overly ornate stuff like some of the more crazy freehands or meers. It's for the same reason, it's too busy and confused in it's form/design.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
none really. I'd say bulldogs are there. But every single time I say I hate a shape someone comes out with one that I find wonderful. Yes it even happened recently with a bulldog. And the pipes I dislike the most are typically so far from the shape they're listed as too be labeled as collector traps. Basically I like the classics and usually find the fancier ones blah. But every once in a while even those get me.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
To simply look at, I like them all. As far as smoking, I only smoke straight Billiards, 1/8 bent oval shank Brandies, and CLASSIC straight Dublins, you know, the ones with slight expansion of the bowls. Almost, but not quite, Billiards.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I don't really have any hangups related to the type of pipe. I'm more interested in flow and proportion, and I like short and fat pipes because I'm short and fat.

A skinny billiard typically doesn't really do anything for me, but an Al Pascia Curvy 02 hits the right notes. Weirdo stubby shapes like Briarworks chubby tomatoes and stubby apples, or the Moonshine Pot Still rendition of the classic billiard shape also tickle me in the right way. I especially love the Moonshine Cannonball's size and muscular, squat flow.

A lot of bulldogs also don't do anything for me, but the Al Pascia Curvy 03 and the Briarworks C111 Bullmoose press the right buttons for me.

I can take or leave most other shapes/types in a general sense, but the second Morgan Pipes comes out with a stubby/fat Bones version of whatever, it usually appeals to me even if I normally wouldn't be super excited about a particular shape. For example, I have a stubby Dublin, stubby Devil Anse, and stubby billiard from the Bones line--none of those shapes usually speak to me, but the proportions and flow of the Bones versions do.

Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
There is only one shape i do not have in my collection ; the prince.
It's not because of any dislike on my part I was just never drawn to it for whatever reason.

Reactions: FurCoat and jpmcwjr

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I only like classic shapes like Billiards, Paneled Billiards, Dublins, Rhodesians, Bulldogs, Brandy's, I might be forgetting maybe one or 2 more. Any other shapes you can have. I don't do Blow fish, Pokers, Belge, Cherrywoods, Hungarians, and basically every other shapes. I like my pipes to be classic and boring.

Reactions: OzPiper

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Since I only like billiards, I must disqualify myself. However, I have a particular distaste for Castello pushing a design on the smoker such that they force a clunky, chunky bit on him, as if anyone save an alligator could hold the pipe steady with it.

Canadians too.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
No love for hawkbills? I’ve admired the Radice Hawkbills for a long time. Y’all send them to me.

Now canted pipes I don’t understand. On a straight billiard, I char the back rim of the bowl (towards my nose). If It were canted, wouldn’t that just be worse?

Reactions: FurCoat