PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Aquadoc, there blends are always sold out BUT since they roast in house it's just a whack-A-mole thing. But they make seriously good coffee!!!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Mothernature, I guantee that if you have CAF you'll not want for caffeine. I brew mine in an Aeropress Coffee maker. I run five batches so that's essentially 10 shots of espresso. I put the first three in a coffee thermos and the other two get drank with my breakfast. I'm good to go until about noon, then it's three more Aeropress Brews. Yes, I'm a caffeine who're.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Ash, I almost have to try it with the name and packaging.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've got an 1950's french antique press made from pyrex and a bakelite handle strapped to it with stainless bands. The whole thing, including screen apparatus, can be taken apart and scrubbed completely spotless. I've had the best cups of coffee in my life from that thing. 8 O'clock bean ground in market, Starbucks house blend, and Folger's classic roast make up my daily doses these days. A Sumatran blend was a favorite when I frequented the coffeehouses.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I haven't tried it, but the big news this week is that it's available in the US now.
Mother, I've tried all of those coffees, including Death By Coffee, Valhalla, etc., you can make much better for far less on your own.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
imag0432-600x336.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jim, I hand gring my coffee and combined with the Aeropress you get espresso. I fiendishly love dark strong coffee.
John? :)
I grind mine with a Baratza Preciso just moments before banging it into a portafilter. And I love my Aeropress which accompanies me on car trips, sometimes plane trips. BUT, I maintain it ain't really espresso, though close. I usually make two cappuccino (cappucinni?) or one and an Americano before I do anything in the morning.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My issues with insomnia are getting worse. I have enjoyed coffee since I left home for college. Loved many different flavors and styles. But it basically has to be decaf, or I pay a penalty later. Lots of good info on this thread.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Winton, I'm wired different than most......when I can't sleep I make a quick batch of coffee and slug it down. I sleep like a baby after that. But good luck with the insomnia, because I have friends who fight that demon.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I used to LOVE coffee and all it's associations. Then I opened a Coffeehouse. There's little that can ruin a passion like turning it into a business. I closed it in 2003 and didn't drink coffee again till recently.

In my shop, for espresso drinks, we used Torrefazione Italias' Perugia. It's since been bought by SBUX. For coffee we used Batdorf & Bronson. They roast great coffee. I do miss the smell of coffee.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
N8-
Where was your shop? What drove you out of the biz?
Not familiar with the above coffees, though for the last ten years I've tended to find local roasters- not hard to do when you're in the land that Alfred Peet roamed!
After experimenting with all manner of light to medium roasts for espresso I've concluded that I much prefer dark roasts- single or blend - over the former. Yes, fine, roast medium for single origins for your presspot or pour over, but leave me some dark stuff for the pull!

I read this three years ago, and still today, I do not understand why instant coffee, Folgers, or even gas station coffee is any less flavorful than a $7 cup at a coffeeshop. I will just feel myself blessed that I can make a cup of coffee in the microwave and enjoy it with as much relish as someone who spends big bucks on coffeeshop coffee.

When we visited Costa Rico years ago (just a vacation), we visited the coffee fields and asked the locals about what coffee they drank, and almost everyone told us that instant coffee was the more refined tasting coffee. I had to chuckle, because at the time the wife was buying into that BS about coffeeshop coffee. Surrounded by the worlds best coffee beans, and the local;s all say that instant blows the hand crafted cup of coffee out of the water. Besides, I find that Folgers and Maxwell House has way more caffeine, and what the heck other reason is there for drinking the stuff.
Our best friends used to have a coffeeshop next to our store, and we would swap out Folgers and instant for their Independent Roasters coffee occasionally to see if anyone notices. Never, ever, ever did anyone notice, even the snobs would drink their instant and talk about the fruitiness, freshness, with their pinkies out. It was hilarious.
But, for those who enjoy doing all the roasting and grinding and spending hours to make a cup, more power to you. It's good to have something that brings you pleasure.

Status
Not open for further replies.