Where to Hide Valuables at Home. Tips Please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
PM's can be very helpful, but in cases of ideas, opinions: putting them up for public scrutiny is usually the better way to go.
So, what was suggested?

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
In my non expert assessment, a safe deposit box is best, then a good big strong home safe that's too big to carry away (and not a cheap one), and a dog. I imagine most criminals want to get in and out quick, and they're not likely to burgle when you are home.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
A small safe that you can bolt to the floor from the inside might work.

Other than that, you might consider a false bottom in a cabinet, drawer, or dresser. Something that is not obvious.

Good luck!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jay, I've given this some more thought. It might be time to try something more novel. Erect a huge neon billboard, at least 30' by 50' over your house. It should be visible for miles with flashing lights and big neon arrows pointing downward and at an angle toward your home. On it should be emblazoned in bright flashing neon the following words, "HUGE UNPROTECTED TREASURE CACHE HERE!"

Assuming this doesn't frighten off any potential invaders, you can amuse yourself by wiring some exhibits to 20,000 volts.

• Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
And if you're home, it's a robbery, not a burglary!
If you are home and confronted, it could be a robbery. In my jurisdiction, if the victim is home, asleep, not confronted or threatened, it is a Burglary in a Dwelling, While Occupied. Add, "at Night" and the sentance can be more severe. Many burglary definitions start, "The unlawful entry with the intent to ....." Different jurisdictions have different legal definitions. But, yes robbery usually involves perp/victim contact.

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
To clarify the insurance comment: In the US anyway, homeowners or renters insurance often covers theft up to a point.
This is not to say you don’t want to secure your valuables, but it is part of the equation about how much energy/inconvenience you’re want put into your life for security.

Reactions: JOHN72

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I would buy fake things of value, and hide them, and the real things of value, I would hide them too, well, maybe, I would mix the real things of value, with the fake things. I mean, the goal is to use a lot of confusion, so the thief will end up stressed out, calling the ambulance himself. I would also have a freshly made blueberry pie, and hot coffee. Who knows, you might end up at a house meeting, with the paramedics, the police, the thief, and the amazon package delivery person.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Before throwing out suggestions, it'd be terrific if folks scanned what's been rejected.

And I bow to warren's knowledge of crime classification. Thank you.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
but it is part of the equation about how much energy/inconvenience you’re want put into your life for security.
It's about a collection, a valuable collection and security. Most insurance companies offer policies for specific, Betty Grable's legs, etc., items. I have one for my Civil War antiques and another which covers, theft, loss, and accidents for most of my camera bodies and lenses. I can even loan stuff out and it's covered. It all depends on the value you place on certain materials you own. My camera gear is my living. Ergo, I need fast replacement and/or repair. I'm willing to pay for that security.

The antiques. some irreplaceable, are covered only for theft/fire/etc. I am required to have them appraised at intervals as value fluctuates, sometimes wildly.

So, some moneys laid out annually for peace of mind and no real energy expended other than installing a couple of cameras and a doorbell. I could spend more for a security company with "location response" personal but, replacement insurance policies provide all the peace of mind I require.

It's a risk/reward situation.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Maybe go to a charity shop and buy as many beat up paperbacks as you can, spend the next month or so hollowing out one for each watch and put them on a bookshelf. Pick titles with letters that correspond to the watch brands that will allow you to locate them easily for gawking at when the mood strikes. Many people don't read anymore, and certainly not a tweaker who is looking for quick cash and in a hurry. Crappy, worn, paperbacks will be the last thing someone will think to steal, unless the robber's girlfriend is into cheesy romance novels, in which case he might grab those to gift her.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I was married and my ex had all kinds of gold, I insured it on my homeowners policy. It was not cheap. I have a Starfire ring appraised at 10,500. I have watches and tons of other stuff and the insurance cost me a little over 2000.00 a year. I was never really worried I would get robbed as I had a 125 pound white German Shepard who patrolled the property. I still took no chances. Today I still have some rings and watches worth a good amount so I have a policy listing my more valuable possessions.

One thing that anyone who owns a home should do is always carry a million dollar liability umbrella. It is cheap only a couple hundred a year and it protects you from slip and falls and if someone gets hurt on your property.