Where to Hide Valuables at Home. Tips Please.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Currently I'm living in a 2 bedroomed flat/apartment on the first floor (the floor above ground level) and have only the one point of entry. I regard this as being pretty secure though not entirely burglar proof. That said, the area I live in is regarded as very safe when it comes to all types of crime.

However, later this year or more likely early next year I will be buying a new place, much larger and with likely 2 or 3 entry points at ground level. The place I'll be moving to will be totally new to me.

My valuables consist mainly of my collection of about 35 American railroad grade pocket watches & my collection of about 25 quality wristwatches. I currently have no specific hiding places for these as I feel pretty safe in my home though I do have one of those 'book safes' for hiding medals & large amounts of cash.

What I'd like to hear about are places in the home where I might hide away my above collections so that your typical housebreaker is not likely to find them in a hurry.

I've thought about the loose floorboard thing but dismissed it as unlikely to be found in a house these days. An indoor safe is out.....the thief would just steal the safe & open it at leisure.

So guys, where to hide my stuff....any ideas gratefully accepted.

BTW, one of the first purchases I'll be making in my new home will be a quality alarm system!

Regards,

Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When you have your alarm system installed, make sure that it includes motion sensors on all windows, as well as the garage doors. Sector interior motion sensors are a must. Having your house thus outfitted makes it more likely that a burglar will decide to hit your neighbor's house instead, since it's an easier target.

Despite what you said, I am going to recommend that you get a document safe. Pick an inconspicuous closet and place it in the back where you can place the usual crap in front to hide it from view. The document safe has the advantage of providing your treasures protection in case of fire. If you are dead set against a safe of any kind, then choose an ordinary cardboard box, something that won't attract attention.

Once the alarm is tripped, and the laser cannon are deployed, an intruder is going to be looking for a fast haul and is not going to be prowling the inner recesses of your home.

I also recommend a guard dog. Great company for you, and a throat ripper for somebody else

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though the thought of a dog appeals (I so miss my beloved 'Poppy'), but dogs need walking and I can barely walk myself!

Deposit box in a bank is out as I'd miss the opportunity to randomly dig the pocket watches out just to enjoy them. Regards the wristwatches, they'd need to be in the house as I rotate every Sunday to a different watch (Omega Seamaster 8800 this week).

Regards,

Jay.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You have some pretty stringent requirements. You are dreaming if you think there is any place in a home that the bad guys won't find quickly. I would suggest you get plenty of insurance on the items you want to protect. And do what sable says.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
I have nothing of value :) But we have our important papers in a fireproof locked safe in the basement. If house burns down they are good. Jewelry weapons etc. are covered under homeowners policy but check the limits of course. In a previous life, I built a store and the contractor put a floor safe in the concrete, lid was metal with a combination lock. Not suitable for a rental but if you ever own a place could be good.
Bank safe deposits are good but in the event that you happen to die access can be messy depending if you are the only one with access. You probably want your spouse of a family member to have a backup key and signature card if you trust of course.
The toilet deal has been used by mobsters and drug dealers so it works :)
Cheers

Reactions: JOHN72