Where Is The Highest Concentration of Pipe Smokers?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
The post by torchez got me to wondering. What country or place within a country has the highest concentration of pipe smokers. I don't think the number of B&Ms would necessarily tell you that. Has anyone ever seen any statistics?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No statistics. Purely from personal experience and guesswork, I would say the Northeast. When I shop flea markets and

antique stores in the Southeast, I have found slim pickings on tobacco pipes. It seems to have been a long time since it

was a popular pastime around here. But when I looked in New York State, there were plenty of antique shop pipes for sale.

It was like night and day. I haven't sampled the Midwest, where I grew up, yet. The existence of Iwan Ries suggests it might

be a more active area. The pipe and pipe tobacco people may collect this data, but they may guard it closely too. North

Carolina has both significant pipe manufacture, Dr. Grabow in Sparta, N.C., for one, and tobacconists, CD in Morganton,

and a number of good pipe carvers, and a good pipe show, but I don't see the results in an estate pipe market. Hmmm.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
The Netherlands? Ireland? I know a lot of Brits smoke pipes, but I left in 1975.
I like the quote from Sir John Hawkins of England in around 1565: "The Floridians when they travel have

a kinde of herbe dryed, which with a cane, and an earthen cup in the

end, with fire, and the dried herbs put together do smoke thoro the

cane the smoke thereof, which smoke satisfieth their hunger, and

therewith they live foure or five days without meat or drinke."

Reactions: Papamique

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Based on the growth of our pipe club, I'd say Oshawa Ontario is the center of the pipe world right now!!! :nana:

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The only reason there's such a high concentration of estate pipe sales in NY is the 95% tobacco taxes :P

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I do not know this from experience, but have heard from a reliable source that still today, most people in St Claude France still walk around with a pipe in their mouth. Makes sence cause there a lot of pipe manufacturers that come from that region.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I've been told that Denmark has the highest per capita rate of pipe smokers. If you base it upon public smoking, it would be whenever you see two of us together.
Russ

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
I've also seen that it's Denmark but the figures I saw were talking about the highest population percentage. I'de have thought that the USA or maybe even Britain may have more physical smokers even if they have a lower percentage of the population smoking pipes.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Makes sence cause there a lot of pipe manufacturers that come from that region.
I would think there is a correlation. Denmark. Thats pretty interesting.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I would argue (with no scientific evidence to back it up, of course) that, perhaps, the highest concentration is right here in the U.S.A.
And I'm not really sure that Denmark is the hotbed of pipers we all think it may be. I've asked many of my Danish customers if they see other pipe smokers out and about in Denmark and many of them have said that, beyond themselves, or their pipe smoking friends (and those are the ones that belong to a pipe club or something like that), they rarely see other pipe smokers out in public.
It seems like here in the U.S., we have quite a vigorous online community as well as quite a few pipe shows and clubs that seem to be growing. Also, as far as budding pipe makers, it seems like we have quite a few guys taking up the torch here in the U.S., and, in that respect, it seems we might have the edge (which might be an indicator of the growing popularity of pipe smoking here in the U.S.).
Again, I don't really know for sure and can't really point to any statistical evidence, but, even based on our per capita population as pipe smokers in this country, we might have an advantage.
Now, where the highest concentration of pipe smokers would be in this country, well, that would be interesting to know.
Isn't there a pipe smoker's census or something like that that pipesmagazine comes out with every year? I wonder if they'd have geographical info like that.
Anyway, great question!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Regards the USA - I don't know how scientific this is; but the NASPC membership is around 1,000 members with the most members being from the state of Ohio.
Best,
Pipestud

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Actually to the statistics utilized by Worldmapper.org, that is China, which is definitely more than 50% of male populations there.

242.png

The myth is (which is probably true) rejecting any offer with 'good incentive' in China is very impolite and will probably lead to not being able to close the deal, so even if businessmen are not drinkers or smokers, they are obliged to bottom up quite a few glasses of whiskey / soju and pick up the cigarettes offered to them and puff a few mouthful.
And there is a smoke trick video (cigarettes) of an apparently China man, I hope that is magic instead.
Incredible smoke trick

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I would have to say Denmark, Ireland and probably the UK closely tied with Germany. I was very surprised how many pipe smokers are here in the US but in common with most American hobby/activities you always have a club and a strong social group of friends that revolve around these types of things. That is what makes this country so interesting!

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Not southern California, although the opposite may be true for vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.