Where Have You Traveled Outside Your Native Country?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have friends who were in the Navy and spent the whole hitch one place stateside, but in my single hitch of almost four years -- they kindly let me out in time to start grad school -- I fulfilled the old recruiting pitch and "saw the world," or a pretty good fraction of it. My favorite duty station was Midway Island, territorial U.S. out in the mid-Pacific. At that time, it was a true wildlife sanctuary both on land and all around the atoll. Now it has been ravaged by plastic waste and a vortex of trash, so I saw it while it was still a sort of Garden of Eden. That was one of the highlights of my life. If it ever gets back to the way I saw it, it will take hundreds of years.

Reactions: marconi and Reggie

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've really savored my Canada trips too. The people behave like I think U.S. folks should. Manners aren't a compromise; they're an embellishment, and I'm afraid we've forgotten that down here. It got to be cute to be nasty, and now people can't find their way back. Canada has its own sorrows, but they have a lot to revere in their culture.

TheDesertPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2021
Arizona
The vast majority of my out of country travels happened whilst I was serving in the Navy.
I have been to Mexico (a few times), Japan, Spain, Dubai, Cyprus, Diego Garcia, and I believe that's about it.
Would Like to someday to see More of Europe, Canada, and maybe Israel.

Reactions: dcon

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Toured around Brazil, Jamaica, Ireland, Scotland, with some time in Whales and London as well. Never been to NYC though.

Reactions: dcon

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Damn, this thread makes Forums sound like the State Department or the United Nations. We've definitely put in some air and sea miles. Travel is a sort of habit, and when you do it regularly, you get it down pretty cold, the packing, the schedules, adjusting to different sleeping environments, etc. When I did some business travel, it was just a routine, from booking pet care to catching side trips.
Between 2006 and 2016 my business travel was generally inter-continental. On average I travelled 6 times around the world each hear between 2010 and 2016. It was manic and at times more than a little confusing but I still miss it.

By confusing I mean little things like the day I met up with a colleague for lunch since we both happened to be in the same country. On the way to lunch I needed to get some cash and stopped at an ATM and just stood staring at it for a while. My colleague asked if there was a problem and:

I replied: "I don't know how much to take out; how many of these are there to the £ ?" (I was based in London at the time).

Colleague: "It is £s; we're in London!"

Me "Oh! I thought it looked familiar" (I wasn't joking; I'd just come back from a trip which involved N. America, SE Asia, Australia, N America again. I was actually only in London for one day before going to Athens).

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Born in England but I am Irish (just to avoid any doubt...).

In no particular order (well, mainly alphabetic) and most of these would be visited several times for both business and leisure (my girlfriend - now wife - and I travelled a lot and neither she nor my employer minded me adding some leisure travel onto business trips if I wanted to - most extreme example of that being told by my boss when planning a trip to the US that since I would need to be out there again 2 weeks after I got back that it would easier and cheaper if I just found a hotel somewhere and stayed there for 2 weeks! A very pleasant 2 weeks 'working' in Southern California resulted from that conversation...).

Europe

England
Ireland
Wales
Scotland

Andorra
Austria
Belgium
Bosnia
Bulgaria (couple of trips; one was fun: I was running a 3 day training course in Varna on the Black Sea coast. Flights were only once a week so I was 'forced' to stay for a few extra days during the height of summer in lovely hotel on the beach...)
Croatia
Czechoslovakia (as was)
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany (and also what was then called West Germany)
Greece (almost as much as Switzerland)
Hungary
Italy
Lichtenstein
Luxembourg
Macedonia now North Macedonia (the capital Skopje is probably the most dangerous city I have ever visited)
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Serbia
Slovak Republic
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland (I was there so often between 2001-2012 I almost had to apply for a work permit/residency!)

Madeira (well, not physically in Europe but...)

Middle East and Africa

Lebanon
Israel
Abu Dhabi
Dubai
Qatar
Sudan (now Northern Sudan)
Kenya

Asia

Malaysia - I was pretty much based in our Kuala Lumpur office for many years although I lived in London & Sydney
Singapore
Indonesia
Thailand
Hong Kong
Japan

Australia (I lived in Sydney for 10 years and am still 'homesick' for the country)

S. America & Carribean

Brazil (where I now live)
Chile
Cuba

United States (sorry to say I've not been to Canada)

AZ
AR
CA
CO
CT
FL
GA
IL
IN
KY
LA
ME
MA
MI
MO
NH
NV
NJ
NY
OH
TX
VT
WY

I think that's the complete list!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Canada
Mexico
Costa Rica
Panama
Bermuda
BVI
Cayman
Puerto Rico
Sint Maarten/Saint Martin
USVI
Japan
Hong Kong
China (PRC)
Singapore
Indonesia
Malaysia
Thailand
Burma (now Myanmar)
India
Israel
Turkey
Greece
Macedonia
Montenegro
Bosnia/Herzegovina
Croatia
Austria
Germany
Eastern Germany (before the Wall fell)
Denmark
Norway
Netherlands
Belgium
France
Spain
Switzerland
Italy
England
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
And a bunch at Epcot

timelord

Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Born in England but I am Irish (just to avoid any doubt...).

In no particular order (well, mainly alphabetic) and most of these would be visited several times for both business and leisure (my girlfriend - now wife - and I travelled a lot and neither she nor my employer minded me adding some leisure travel onto business trips if I wanted to - most extreme example of that being told by my boss when planning a trip to the US that since I would need to be out there again 2 weeks after I got back that it would easier and cheaper if I just found a hotel somewhere and stayed there for 2 weeks! A very pleasant 2 weeks 'working' in Southern California resulted from that conversation...).

Europe

England
Ireland
Wales
Scotland

Andorra
Austria
Belgium
Bosnia
Bulgaria (couple of trips; one was fun: I was running a 3 day training course in Varna on the Black Sea coast. Flights were only once a week so I was 'forced' to stay for a few extra days during the height of summer in lovely hotel on the beach...)
Croatia
Czechoslovakia (as was)
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany (and also what was then called West Germany)
Greece (almost as much as Switzerland)
Hungary
Italy
Lichtenstein
Luxembourg
Macedonia now North Macedonia (the capital Skopje is probably the most dangerous city I have ever visited)
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Serbia
Slovak Republic
Slovenia
Spain
Switzerland (I was there so often between 2001-2012 I almost had to apply for a work permit/residency!)

Madeira (well, not physically in Europe but...)

Middle East and Africa

Lebanon
Israel
Abu Dhabi
Dubai
Qatar
Sudan (now Northern Sudan)
Kenya

Asia

Malaysia - I was pretty much based in our Kuala Lumpur office for many years although I lived in London & Sydney
Singapore
Indonesia
Thailand
Hong Kong
Japan

Australia (I lived in Sydney for 10 years and am still 'homesick' for the country)

S. America & Carribean

Brazil (where I now live)
Chile
Cuba

United States (sorry to say I've not been to Canada)

AZ
AR
CA
CO
CT
FL
GA
IL
IN
KY
LA
ME
MA
MI
MO
NH
NV
NJ
NY
OH
TX
VT
WY

I think that's the complete list!
I forgot India!

Reactions: Reggie

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
Greek but born in Germany, lived there for 8 years and now I live in Greece for the past 20 years.

Abroad, I've been in:
Germany (Munich my birthplace, Nürnberg, Berlin, Stuttgart)
Austria (Vienna)
Poland (Warsaw, Krakow)
Hungary (Budapest)
Turkey (Istanbul)
Bulgaria (Bansko, Sofia)

H

Hfinn

I managed to visit San Diego in California, I lived there for 3 months. It's just a super city, I dream of returning there someday!

Reactions: timelord

heathandleaf

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2020
Tennessee
Home: USA.
Spent 7 weeks in Nepal (Kathmandu) for a clinical rotation and a brief vacation in Costa Rica with wifey. I suppose I could also note Qatar and China, but those were just layovers for insufferable flights to/from Nepal. Side note: no good tobacco shops in Kathmandu, so bring your own . . . and a buy a mask from the street vendors, the dust/silt is ubiquitous in the valley.

Reactions: timelord
Status
Not open for further replies.