PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
You have been registered on this site for, very literally, less than 1% of the time of Cosmic.

Exactly. BROBS, you’re not allowed to post like that until you’ve been accepted to... Members Island!

I’ve yet to get the invite, but the rumor is a random person will bump into you and slip an invite into your pocket.

From there you go to a secret underground ceremony where you’re strapped to a pole and forced inhale Captain Black Grape until you sign in blood that you love it.

After that, you’ll be sent to the Texas flatlands to retrieve an old clay pipe that’s been hidden inside an active rattlesnake hibernaculum. You must retrieve the pipe, without being bitten, and return it to ssjones where it will be meticulously inspected for damage.

If he gives the okay, you’re given a map to Members Island where you must drink Ayahuasca and sleep on a bed of hot coals.

Then you’re beaten senseless and returned home, where, if you’ve been accepted, you will get a call. You must answer on the second ring.

I don’t know what happens next, this is all I’ve heard!

:LOL: j/k

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
My Killarney bulldog has several problems, the bowl coating peeled off in big chunks while I was smoking, and started to burn with my tobacco, producing a nasty taste. Under the bowl coating the chamber and shank were dip stained with funky red goo that also tasted nasty, and turned many pipe cleaners red, it will not pass a pipe cleaner, the stem is so tight that I've had to put it in the freezer every time to remove it, the stem has wavy lines and looks like someone was very heavy handed with a buffing wheel, the inside of the stem has a rough bumpy surface and the clear glossy finish on the stummel is not glossy in a couple spots that look like someone spilled solvent on it. My wife bought it for my birthday, and I found out later that the B&M that sold it charged her $249 for it as well. Other than the mentioned issues, it smokes well. :rolleyes:

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
This is why I was asking about Peterson’s here a couple weeks (?) ago. I’m wanting a factory new System B-42.

Hmm...

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Paulie, if SP decides you can't return the pipe then you might consider attempting to re-apply the shellac. It's not a perfect solution but maybe you can salvage the situation?

Of course- this shouldn't have happened with a pipe at that price point to begin with.

There are a lot of pipes that are/have been Lacquer coated that have the same issue over time.

The Killarney line retails for anywhere from $50 to $100 in the wild. It’s a lower end pipe. I own about 8 of them.

I’ve refurbished coated pipes, and after stripping them I usually just wax them.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that the nature of the coating and bonding to the briar is not endemic to Peterson.

But I will agree that sucks when it happens to a pipe you just bought.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have a Peterson 2018 Christmas Pipe that I got last December, and I really like it. Smoked it plenty. No problems whatsoever. Some Petersons are very good middle-of-the-road pipes, like Savinelli is known for. I've made my share of negative comments here about Petes, especially the drilling of their bent pipes, but the Peterson brand has its upsides as well. I would not hesitate to buy more Petersons, but I will be careful about which ones.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think Peterson issues are heard more than any other pipe because they are such a prominent and popular pipemaker. Ever hear of issues with a Ferrari? I would doubt it but I'm sure there are a ton that you would never hear about because few people own one. Heard of issues with a Toyota Camry? Yes.. because there are millions out there.

My registered time on this forum has nothing to do with anything.

I am certainly a fan of Peterson pipes and I will let that be known to anyone. However just because there is more internet bitching about Peterson than any other brand just makes me think that there are more Peterson pipe owners than any other brand.

Also the fact that there are issues with a few pipes is normal, you just don't hear about it with the other brands.
Overall, I believe they put out a quality product. I actually avoided Peterson's for years because of all the internet heresy about them. I have literally had 1 or 2 out of 75+ Peterson pipes I own that are not great smokers. Of those 1 or 2.. they are lower end model pipes. If you think that every sub $100 pipe is perfect they are most certainly not. There are plenty of brands out there with similar quality or issues that will cost 3 times as much, and in some people's opinion this makes them better. It does not.

They also had a period of time with bad QC in the recent past.. this is known. I would say if you have an issue that looks to be manufacturing related I don't see why they wouldn't help.

Reactions: diamondback

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
75+ Peterson pipes
Well, you certainly do have experience with Peterson pipes. That is a shitload of money to spend on the brand (assuming you buy them new) and it's great you're getting good experience with it.

However, from my equally anecdotal evidence, there are brands just as popular as Peterson that do not have the same blowback on quality.

Maybe people just like to shit on Peterson.

I doubt that accounts for it. More likely is that they have known problems that other brands don't appear to have in the same quantity.

Knowing all of this, I also bought a Peterson, as I said. Great experience, just not my beach, so I sold it. I have no skin in the game. It's just an observation that Peterson pipes consistently have comments like this and I don't see that from other pipes.

Very strange.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I think Peterson issues are heard more than any other pipe because they are such a prominent and popular pipemaker. Ever hear of issues with a Ferrari? I would doubt it but I'm sure there are a ton that you would never hear about because few people own one. Heard of issues with a Toyota Camry? Yes.. because there are millions out there.

My registered time on this forum has nothing to do with anything.

I am certainly a fan of Peterson pipes and I will let that be known to anyone. However just because there is more internet bitching about Peterson than any other brand just makes me think that there are more Peterson pipe owners than any other brand.

Also the fact that there are issues with a few pipes is normal, you just don't hear about it with the other brands.
Overall, I believe they put out a quality product. I actually avoided Peterson's for years because of all the internet heresy about them. I have literally had 1 or 2 out of 75+ Peterson pipes I own that are not great smokers. Of those 1 or 2.. they are lower end model pipes. If you think that every sub $100 pipe is perfect they are most certainly not. There are plenty of brands out there with similar quality or issues that will cost 3 times as much, and in some people's opinion this makes them better. It does not.

They also had a period of time with bad QC in the recent past.. this is known. I would say if you have an issue that looks to be manufacturing related I don't see why they wouldn't help.
Do you own shares over at Peterson?

Reactions: Mr.Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.