Where Do Famous Pipe Hobbyists Hang Out?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hasser

Lurker
Jul 28, 2023
The guys who are well known hobbyists (as opposed to industry professionals) must absolutely love chatting about pipes but I don’t think any of them are on the forum. Where do they get their fix of pipe talk if not on a forum? Some guys that come to mind are Fred Hanna and Rich Esserman or other Doctors and Masters of pipes.
I have been using instagram and SMM World to promote my pipe hobby for a while and I think it is a great platform for pipe enthusiasts. I can share photos and videos of my pipe collection, my smoking sessions, and my reviews of different tobaccos. I can also interact with other pipe smokers and learn from their tips and recommendations. Instagram has helped me grow my audience and network with other hobbyists. I think it is a fun and easy way to showcase my passion and connect with like-minded people.
I agree, those guys are legends in the pipe world. I wonder if they have a private group or chat where they share their insights and experiences. Maybe they prefer to keep it low-key and enjoy their pipes in solitude. Either way, I respect their passion and knowledge.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The guys who are well known hobbyists (as opposed to industry professionals) must absolutely love chatting about pipes but I don’t think any of them are on the forum. Where do they get their fix of pipe talk if not on a forum? Some guys that come to mind are Fred Hanna and Rich Esserman or other Doctors and Masters of pipes.
So they usually have a zoom smoke on the weekends.

Reactions: AroEnglish

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Are you referring to people like Toni Pascual or Paco Duque?
I knew Toni from Chicago but haven’t seen him in many years. I hope he is well. I’m sure there is a whole world of pipe celebrities in Europe, Scandinavia and The East. Language and more often time difference can be a barrier but we overcome that in the International Pipe Club Zoom Chat every Saturday. We have guys from all over the world. It’s a lot of fun.

Reactions: Alejo R.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I probably shouldn’t have specified famous people just people who absolutely love talking pipes and but don’t participate in forums.

I used to hang out at The Briary's lounge a bunch. There were always other men that would be willing to rattle on and on about pipes and tobaccos. Chances are that you are also likely to run into people from pipe tobacco companies or even pipe makers coming in to check with Skip. Brian Levine has even dropped in, Per Jensen, reps from Lane, Mike would occasionally drop in. I've met all sorts of pipemakers there; Erik Nording, Guidi and Sordini of Ser Jacapo, Tinsky, Ian Walker, Peder Jeppesen, and many others.
So, I imagine that if one wanted to run into people in the business, you could hang at your local B&M. And, if you don't have one, then you can just participate here.