PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I've used the FDA website to check on grandfathered blends of tobacco. There are some I don't see. After doing some research some of the blends I'm interested in were produced after the 2007 cutoff date. Pipes & Cigars recently had a sale on some blends, including some of Cult's, saying basically they would be stopping production due to the FDA.

So my question is when will we know what blends are getting the ax due to the FDA? Is the cutoff date for production or selling?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there are all kinds of bureaucratic cross currents at play, so as the previous posts suggest, there isn't a good predictive answer right now. The whole process could stagnate for years, or the FDA could get to work and start regulating against a list of blends any day. Since pipe tobacco isn't the major target here, action on it could be lost in the smoke, so to speak, or not. I could coast on my current supply for years, so I'm not excited, but regulation could certainly eliminate old favorites and limit the selection across the board. The job of the blender is going to change, for sure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Seriously businesses do this all the time use scapegoats. I've seen restaurants say labor laws or regulations caused them to raise prices when they've been looking for a way to raise prices to cover general costs without alienating customers. Seriously the way the law is written it might kill off more radical blends but one thing to think about is how many tin descriptions sound the same as a million others. It can't be based off of percentages of leaf type because that changes from batch to batch, the only thing that can be substantially different is casing and toppings. And honestly there aren't many brands that are very adventurous about those. And the regulatory costs are so tiny it couldn't effect any blend that is doing better then barely hanging on. But if fear can generate more sales then why quash those fears. The manufactures aren't acting like this will really effect them. If they had any real reason to believe it would they would be buying far smaller quantities of leaf to age if they thought they'd not get to use it. They'd play a lot more cautious then they are. But if they can cut a poor preforming blend without having to shoulder the blame well the FDA has handed that to them on a silver plater.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
From what little I’ve gathered, through listening to interviews with tobacco company owners (sutliff comes to mind) and the general lack of panic exhibited on the retail sites, the process of applying for a “substantial equivalence” exemption has been pretty easy, at least for the larger producers. I could, and very well may be talking out of my ass here, but that seems to be the general way things are going

. I think the FDA is mostly concerned with vape products, at least for now. Time will tell. I’m not sweating it, yet. We enjoy something that the public at large has deemed dangerous and damaging, so it’s only a matter of time before they stamp out the last embers of tobacco.

I used to allow myself to get real worked up over it, but I’ve just come to except the way things are and enjoy what I’ve got today, while squirreling away some for tomorrow as the budget allows. I’m all for voicing my opinion on the subject (which is, leave my god damn pipe tobacco alone), but it’s already a lost battle in my mind-sooner or later, as you’ve said, the ax will come down, despite what we as pipe smokers have to say about it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've used the FDA website to check on grandfathered blends of tobacco. There are some I don't see. After doing some research some of the blends I'm interested in were produced after the 2007 cutoff date. Pipes & Cigars recently had a sale on some blends, including some of Cult's, saying basically they would be stopping production due to the FDA.

So my question is when will we know what blends are getting the ax due to the FDA? Is the cutoff date for production or selling?
IF it happens, undeemed blends will go off the shelves in a few weeks. The original kill date was 8/8/2018, but got pushed back to 8/8/2021. Some blends going through the deeming process may still be available until 8/8/2022.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
[T]he process of applying for a “substantial equivalence” exemption has been pretty easy, at least for the larger producers.

That's one hope. An example of one blend: Lane has a lot of blends grandfathered, but I noticed Lane Limited Ready Rubbed wasn't one. Checking tobacco reviews, the earliest date I remember seeing is 2014, so it couldn't be grandfathered. However, They were making it under the Edgeworth name in 2007 and before. Maybe blends like these will be allowed under substantial equivalence. There's other blends I just don't know about. My strategy has been to define the basic types of blends I like and stock up on those.

I've grown cynical of all the tobacco apocalypses since the early 2000s, when I first found pipe forums. The only thing that ever seemed to happen was unavailability due to hoarding or company closure. I'm going to circle the "deeming date" on my calendar and mock it when life continues.
Said the grasshopper as the snow began to fly......

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I've grown cynical of all the tobacco apocalypses since the early 2000s, when I first found pipe forums. The only thing that ever seemed to happen was unavailability due to hoarding or company closure. I'm going to circle the "deeming date" on my calendar and mock it when life continues.
Nanner nanner nanner and a razzberry.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Nanner nanner nanner and a razzberry.
the funny thing is the only government thing I've seen that really harmed a form of tobacco was the pact act. And it effected snuff and snus a little bit, and the big thing was if you look at that bill it's not the intention. Both where just too small to really be considered. And just got swept up along with the intended effect.

Reactions: macaroni

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been smoking some discontinued (for other reasons) blends for some time, and will continue to do so, so FDA news may not be news to me. I'd just not like to see the whole pipe and tobacco business sent down the toilet. Hardship will be greatest at the retail level. Many small shops will just say to hell with it and close. The larger tobacco corporations have diversified and won't take a nose dive.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A number of my favorites have disappeared over the last several years, but as I stocked up on them when they were available it doesn't affect me. Blends disappear without warning all the time.
At this time, the long term trend isn't looking promising, so stock up on things you enjoy while they're available. As long as you're not overspending, what's the downside?

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
As long as you're not overspending, what's the downside?
I would like to stock up on the option to make sure Greg Pease can keep getting me fresh Haddo's. It's still good aged, but I like it fresh. Don't really care what kind of voodoo ritual it takes.

Not sure what the going rate on that is? I guess I have a kidney I can part with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For the first third of my life, I breathed everyone's cigarette smoke on cross country busses, trains, and in bars, and student unions. Apparently in the last part of my life, I'm going to spend my tax dollars intercepting and incarcerating people for sales of Kay Largo pipe tobacco. Crazy at both ends of this journey. To reach for an understatement, Einstein is not representative of the species, and he smoked a pipe.