PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
@Sig-it’s all good brother. I wasn’t trying to come off contrarian, and enjoyment by the end user is the ultimate goal.
If I sat in an easy chair relaxing as my usual MO, I’d probably enjoy fiddling about with the tight coins and folded flakes, and have nothing but respect for all who enjoy what they do not matter how they do it.
Even when I pre-rub a batch of Kendal or Cobb Plug, it does taste different than rubbed out 1792 or Best Brown Flake.
Ultimately, I’m pretty sure the original fun of plugs and flakes besides portability and storage is that you can stick a chunk in your mouth or your pipe😉

• Love
Reactions: Sig and PaulRVA

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No mechanical gear for rubbing out tobacco.

I use a Baratza Sette for coffee beans.

Oh, hey! It's a Submarine!! Grinder was my first one in CT. Later, elsewhere, I had some Hoagies, and now where there are a lot of Submarines, I don't eat them.

Dr. Internet

Might Stick Around
I too grew up in a locale that called submarine sandwiches: grinders. New Hampshire.
I used to love Italian ones. I like the hard crust, the soft inside of a good sandwich loaf. I love the onions, red vinegar, salt, pepper, a blend of prepared meats, lettuce, peppers, oregano, olive oil.
In High School, everybody went to a place in Concord after games or dances to get 1/4 roast beef on an onion rolls with a little au jus sauce. It was in H.S. that the first McDonald's came to town with those 15 cent hamburgers and those tasty salty french fries and thick shakes.
I tried smoking pipes back in my youth a few times. I never got it. I wish I had learned the ropes back then!
I was focused on drinking beer and getting with the ladies.
A long time ago I went to LORAN-C school at the base in New London, CT. One day I went across the street to a little sandwich shop and got a submarine sandwich, although they called it a grinder. WTH?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Feeling a need to know more, my Google-fu was working this morning. The following is fairly well researched.

9baps2q8shc31.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nothing in my post about the origin of the sandwich nor how they are loved in PA! Where's the beef??

It would seem that a submarine made in Carmel, Ca could be every bit as good as a Philly Hoagie, with the exact same ingredients, and savvy "chef". Not saying it's likely, merely possible.