What's Your Funniest Misunderstood Song Lyric?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

35 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Brigham Pipes
14 Fresh Chacom Pipes
23 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
3 Fresh Yeti Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I'm not talkin 'bout the linen...
I've listed to that song for decades, and also thought that was the line.
A few months ago, we heard it again (its in frequent rotation on XM "The Bridge" channel). I sang that line and my wife asked "what do you think they said". I repeated and she said it was "I'm not talking about moving in". I still don't hear it.

Fuelman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
“wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night” the lyrics are actually “Revved up like a Deuce another runner in the night”
Deuce referring to a 1932 Ford.

Also when I hear the knack’s “my Sharona”
I always hear Cheech & Chong’s lyrics “my scrotum” pronounce scarotum
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought it was douche also. Finally the answer to my question, after all these years.

Reactions: LotusEater

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Girl I once knew thought Johnny Rivers was singing about a “Secret Asian Man,” and thought the chorus to Panama by Van Halen was “Burn Em Up!”
reminds me of a few. At one fast food place I worked everyone behind the counter thought one song had the lyrics please go away instead of go all the way.
Once on a folk radio show they played a song called big fat agent man... I thought it was big fat Asian man. And finally I ran into the secret Asian man once. He was Asian and dressed like Elmer Fudd I knew once I saw him he was the secret Asian man.

Reactions: ClinchKnot
Aug 1, 2012
USA
A friend of ours had a funny interpretation of a line in Dire Straits, Money For Nothing.
She heard "Get your money for nothing and you checks for free" - lol
Now thats all I can think of when that soneg comes on
Shit. I thought the same thing... until I read your post and looked it up. 😶

Thanks for opening my eyes but it's a little embarrassing.

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Loved McCartney’s “HiHiHi” first time I heard it in junior high and more so years later when I bought “Wings Over America”. Not all that funny I guess but given my sheltered small town life, it was years before I knew what a “bootleg” was. No trouble figuring out what his “body gun” was, lol. Which reminds me I have a Springsteen bootleg that will have to be ripped from my cold, dead hands.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I know I’ve got a couple for myself, but I can’t think of them right now. However, some friends of mine have provided a couple of classics:

“medieval woman” instead of “evil woman”. [ELO]. 😂😂😂

Another friend had a misunderstanding instead a straight lyric mistake. He thought the line “that ain’t working” in Dire Straights’ “Money For Nothing” was the character in the song complaining that the way they were moving around the refrigerators and color TVs wasn’t effective.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
One of my favorite songs by the Doobie Brothers is 'Feelin' Down Farther' from their debut album.

Listened to it once with my wife and she ruined it forever by pointing out that the chorus sounds like they're saying:

Peanut butter
Peanut butter - yeah
Peanut butter baby
Peanut butter -yeah

I can't hear anything else, now. But it makes me laugh and I still love the song, so I forgive her!

AreBee

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I know I’ve got a couple for myself, but I can’t think of them right now. However, some friends of mine have provided a couple of classics:

“medieval woman” instead of “evil woman”. [ELO]. 😂😂😂
My wife was belting out "She is a woman" one day and I just shook my head. She absolutely tortures song lyrics. My favorite of hers is "Pretty Little Love Song" by Marshall Tucker.

• Haha

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jambalaya, Goldfish Pie, File Gumbo" was what I thought for years was the chorus to the famous Hank Williams song.

How cruel I thought Americans were for eating goldfish :rolleyes:

Jay.

I swear for years I was hearing racial slurs in the song Highway to Hell by AC DC.

First verse...
Living easy, living free,
She's a n-word on a one way ride...

and second verse...
Hail Satan,
Hey now, Jews,
Playin' in a rockin' band...

I mean it is a Satanic song, so... I just wrote the band off as another demonic metal band. Then of course they came out with Shook Me, which I kind of liked. But, it wasn't till recently I learned that I had Highway to Hell all wrong, even if it still sounds exactly like what he is saying to me. But hell, who can understand those funny speaking Australians anyways. puffy