What's Your Favorite Drink While Smoking Your Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
One more vote for tea. Yesterday I had a bowl of MM 965 and a cup of a nice Darjeeling and the flavours of each multiplied each other.

Reactions: JOHN72

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
When I try a new blend I give it a chance by drinking mineral water with a bit of lemon juice squeezed in. I tend to bounce between water, coffee, teas and beers depending on the time of day or day of the week. I tend to stay away from spirits because they can often overpower the tastebuds and minimize ny experience with the tobacco.

Reactions: weezell

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Coffee in the mornings, Coke Zero in the afternoon and a good craft beer (IPA, Amber, Brown, Wheat, Red Ale, Stout) or a small glass of port in the evenings.
In my experience a nice stout or dark beer usually goes well with Latakia blends, and hot cocoa seems to pair well with Amphora or Carter Hall.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I can no longer drink soft drinks because do-gooders made everyone put artificial sweetener in their drinks and personally I’d rather eat shit. So it’s Lavazza Coffee morning and afternoon and Dark or Navy Rum In the evening, a good ale as well. However I’m gonna try and cut back my alcohol intake for 2021 and give my liver a little vacation.

ahinesdesign

Lurker
Jan 4, 2021
NC, USA
Generally tea of some sort, usually a malty black tea but sometimes oolong. I like beer, bourbon, or whiskey with cigars, but I don’t like them with pipes for some reason...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From a pipe smoking purist perspective, I think ice water is the best set-up for most non-aromatic blends, which I tend to smoke, as it gives the clearest definition and clarity on flavor. I'll drink any beverage I happen to be enjoying, and sometimes the pairings are excellent by chance, but I seldom do these intentionally. For me, any liquid slightly increases the smoke volume that circulates in the mouth and gives blends more dimension.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I used to regularly have a stiff drink with a pipe or two in the evening. Scotch, whiskey, something along those lines. One to two drinks an evening maximum, but that was still far too much for my comfort level.

I figured out that alcohol was dulling my taste buds and it flattened the flavour of things. Smoking the pipe was purely for the nicotine at that point.

I've never had a problem with alcohol, but I was surprised to notice that the few bottles I keep around for a drink now and then stay full a lot longer now that I don't have a drink while smoking a pipe. I had inadvertently made it a pairing.

Water is best for my tastes. And if I'll have a drink in the evening, enjoying a whisky or scotch after the pipe tastes much better to me.

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
A cup of hot green tea, or a glass of water. I like simple beverages during a piping session, as to help keep the palate on point.