PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm glad I don't have to, but if I had to choose 2 brands (not blends), they would be Mac Baren and C&D. They scratch my itch for Virginia Flake, DFK and VaOr blends. What's a bit crazy is neither of these would have come close for me 3 years ago.

If I had to choose one small boutique or B&M guy, it would be Ernie at Watch City. I think if Ernie would have started blending 20 years ago when the whole tobacco environment was different, he could be a major factor in the industry. What Ernie has done the past couple of years has been innovative and excellent.

Now, were McClelland still in business, they'd make my list. But they're not unfortunately.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm a G.L. Pease fan............. I just like the "house flavor" of his blends.....
15 years ago I was a Dunhill guy through and through, I loved the Murray's made blends....... and I still believe there is none finer (to MY TASTES)..........
but, yea, Pease's "Westminster" is a masterpiece.............

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Long time, same old names, C&D and Mac Baren. Craig Tarler even once made me a pound brick of Black Frigate without latakia, wish I had bought many more of those.? Since Craig passed, my favorite blender has been Ernie.?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Mac Baren has a huge portfolio and lots of subbrands and several of my favorite blends are among them. Capstan and St Bruno come to mind.
I'm not sure which subbrands come under the Kohlhase & Kopp umbrella, but I believe Rattray's and McConnell are among them. And Fribourg & Treyer. Hmmm!
And I really dig Samuel Gawith.
But I'm addicted to Royal Yacht and I just discovered that Ye Olde Signe fits me like the proverbial glove.
I can't play this game.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I think I could be fairly happy with just SG, they might not make a favourite blend of mine but make several of my top 10 blends. The second choice would be a toss up between Rattrays and Germains, Rattrays today but tomorrow who knows?

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
If I had to choose, it would have to go to Mac Baren and GL Pease for my 2 big time blenders and same as you, Ernie from WCC for boutique blender.

That would conceivably cover all bases of anything I could possibly want to smoke. I would miss my Wessex Burley Slice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.