PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
It's like potato chips, can't eat just one. I like to hear cardinals in the early morning. I watch a flock of turkeys comb through the field near my house, and the Canada geese on the pond. Every year the phoebes nest in my barn. Sad though, they'll all be leaving soon, except the turkeys.

Aug 14, 2012
Ptui bird. When you taste it you say "Ptui," it tastes so bad. The only way to eat one is to shoot it over a pot of boiling water and hope it falls in.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Lucy. Another favorite bird of mine is the Laysan Albatross. I spend 8 months on Midway Island when

I was in the Navy and the Navy had custody of Midway Island. Now it belongs to the Department of Interior

as a wildlife refuge. The albatross are sometimes called Gooney Birds by the ignorant, because they take

hard landings after days/weeks/months at sea, but they have a lot of dignity airborne, and an interesting

social and family life on land. They dance and do their "sky call," and many other interesting activities,

and seeing the chicks hatch and slowly accustom to eventual flight was a lifetime experience.

bigriggers01

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2012
Little Owls becuase they have the most character of any wild bird I've ever seen. To my mind, though, nothing beats the taste of duck.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Shhhhhhhhh. Don't tell anyone but it's a rare species called the "Larry."
larry_bird_2.jpg

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Eagles are my favorite. I like all kinds of raptors though. Where I am in the Pacific Northwest this time of year they start to line the river for the salmon run. You could easily count up to 8000 Bald Eagles in some stretches of the river. It is quite amazing.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I love to talk to the doves in the morning, pretty good at it, they love to see me on the deck with my pipe on the weekends. We also have a owl that visits us late at night quit often. His favorite perch rotted and finally broke, so I climbed up there and made him a new one.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like all birds. Maybe I was one in a previous incarnation. (Bad karma -- comin' back as a human bean!) :lol:
Geese are good for me. Every day, I see many gaggles flying from the Chicago suburbs to the lakefront parks and back.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Turkey and quail are tasty, too. Duck is okay, but I hate to admit, I much prefer farm raised to the ducks I hunt, as far as eating goes. Can't beat chicken!

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
My wife and I are avid duck hunters, but I must say that everyone we have ever harvested were given away to people that eat them. We do not like wild duck in anyway there cooked, we have tried everyway. All we keep is the jewelry on them if they have any. One might think how do wild ducks have jewelry? If you have to ask this question then your not a duck hunter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Really like Carolina Wrens, a gutsy little bird that zips right up and looks you in the eye, and

will almost nest in your hat. Fearless. Round little bodies, and long bills, but agile and quick.
Mockingbirds are another great avian. What songsters. They can do scores of different calls,

some imitative, but many improvisational. In the spring, a male will sit on the top of a pine

or flag pole singing his heart out (luring a girlfriend) and mid-song will do a back flip and

re-alight on its perch. They really do a thrilling music. If you walk past a bush where one is

singing, you realize what volume they generate. No amp required.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I love owls and our state bird, the Roadrunner.. They are crazy fellows I must say. We roll up raw meatballs for them and they go crazy.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
Well this one is hard to narrow down to one or even a few. I am a birder and photographing birds is one of my favorite hobbies. A few of my favorites are the American Kestrel, the Great Blue Heron and the almost tame Western Scrub Jays around my back yard that will come and take peanuts from my hand.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I love all birds, from canaries to owls... I have hooters outside the house sometimes, and mourning doves at work. But my favorite is the Tennessee Mockingbird. (+1 mso489!) Mockers will fight anything, including themselves if they see a mirror. A mocker chasing a crow out of his territory is a common sight round here.
Obscure reference, ten point bonus: "I don't like the gannet. They wet their nests."

Aug 1, 2012
Mine is the Ferruginous Hawk. I spent some time documenting a nest of them near where I lived for a 4-H project and that drew me to them as a bird. Many people mistake them for a Swainson's but the coloring on the underside of the wings is distinctive and cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.