PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
My truck pipe is a bent MM Rob Roy.

The Rob Roy is my favorite house pipe, too.

Trout, no, I bought a box of them at The Briary years back. Most of them are placed strategically throughout the house and my studio, but they fit perfectly on the dash, with a piece of no-slip drawer liner underneath them to prevent them from scooting about in stop and go situations. My wife's car has the perfect little ridge in front of her car computer screen that works great at holding my pipe when I drive hers.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
My car pipes used to be cobs, but after some close calls (running off the road or hitting another car) I gave up on smoking pipes while driving. Just have problems lighting a pipe while driving. Also if the wife is in the car with me I definitely won't be smoking a pipe.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
Grabow Golden Duke or a Petersen Dublin due to how light weight they are.
Now I'm interested in grabbing some Danger Poker cobs, those are definitely my style.
Cosmic, I love your dashboard pipe rests: compact, elegant and not glued to your dash with adhesive. My current vehicle lacks a dip in the dashboard to accommodate that setup.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I've got a number or pipes and tobacco jars I leave in my car. I switch the tobacco jars up occasionally based on my mood or when they get empty but the pipes are always the same. I've got a Dr. Grabow and a few briarworks I got pretty cheaply as well as a few basket pipes and a cob. I usually leave the more expensive pipes at home.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Traffic accidents usually take us by surprise (otherwise we would have avoided them). Airbags inflate with an explosive force that can drive a pipe right through your head, so exercise extreme caution. I'm guessing that a deeply bent pipe would be the least dangerous choice; plus, they give you more vision and clenching leverage. Also, remember to use a lighter that does not continue to burn should you drop it for some reason.
[/sermon]

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Traffic accidents usually take us by surprise (otherwise we would have avoided them). Airbags inflate with an explosive force that can drive a pipe right through your head, so exercise extreme caution. I'm guessing that a deeply bent pipe would be the least dangerous choice; plus, they give you more vision and clenching leverage. Also, remember to choose a lighter that does not continue to burn should you drop it for some reason.
10-4 Cortez. I try to be as safe as possible. I use bics in the car and believe me, I've thought of that what if scenario, so I am always watching the cars in front and behind me and spend a good bit of time pulling the pipe from the clutches of my jaw when I see traffic get too thick.
It's funny, though, in my companies safety videos and manuals, they always say that all accidents are preventable...I've always disagreed with that statement, since you can't control what the other idiots on the road do.

I never clench my pipe right out in front of my face. That's just too much of a neophyte look IMO. I clench off to the side. If an explosive force went off in front of me, most likely my pipe would just get knocked to the side. But heck, we eat, drink, text, and take pictures as we drive. Unless you are just learning to drive or too old to remember where you were going, one should be just fine.
But, then again, I live in an area where if I do see other people on the road, we are moving like 10 MPH, but mostly we are on the road by ourself if we are going any faster than that.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
My car pipes used to be cobs, but after some close calls (running off the road or hitting another car) I gave up on smoking pipes while driving. Just have problems lighting a pipe while driving.
Which begs the question - how does one safely load and light a pipe while driving? I do it all the time but always with the thought that it's not entirely safe. Any tips?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It would be an MM cob, but old single-track-Tom doesn't smoke a pipe and drive at the same time. As a pipe to take along, a cob.

how does one safely load and light a pipe while driving?

I can do a codger scoop to load my pipe, without even having to look or think about it, and lighting a pipe, is just as easy as lighting a cigarette, just flick your Bic and puff. People smoke cigarettes all the time without killing thousands in the process. Is this just a pipe specific thing, or does it bother you guys when someone does anything while driving? Just curious as to why people get "concerned" when smoking a pipe while driving comes up.

If you can eat a burrito and drive, I'm not sure how different that would be from smoking a pipe. Maybe some folks have pipes so big that it requires both hands? :puffy:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
If I know I'm going to be smoking a pipe while driving, I load the pipe before leaving the driveway. On road trips by myself, I will load and light when I make a stop at a gas station or somewhere.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I'm with you Cosmic. I've never had a problem with loading or lighting my pipe while driving. It is far less distracting than the phone or eating. I also clinch to the side so I don't worry about "eating" the pipe in an accident. I am more concerned about losing a good pipe in the aftermath. I often drive a plow truck where I'm working the plow, the wings, the radio people can do more than one thing at a time. Just slow down if you have an issue.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I keep a large ziplock bag of dried tobacco in the door pocket. I can load with one hand, never diverting eyes from the road. Same with lighting. However, not recommended. I keep the bag rolled up to give extra moisture barriers, and it's large enough to get pipe and hand in with minimum fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.