PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've always maintained that if you can't drive one-handed, you shouldn't be driving.
The 'both hands must be on the wheel' is social engineering BS, not unlike the BS we see about tobacco. Both hands on the wheel means I can't shift gears.
That being said, I've still not enough practice on loading a bowl with two hands and looking at what I'm doing that I would venture to load it with one whilst driving and without looking. Same for lighting; I know it's perfectly doable in a safe manner, but I've not practiced doing it, so I must wait for the red light for those annoying constant relights.
Guess I'll practice lighting one-handed with the car parked.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I don't have *A* car pipe as such, since I never have fewer than 3-4 in it, but the one I usually end up going to of those tends to be the one I reach first when my hand goes into the console. Lately that's usually been my Bones apple.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I used to. McClelland flake (Blackwoods or similar), folded and good charring light before leaving the driveway. It would still be going well after my 40 minute commute. But no more since acquiring my manual transmission Audi A4. No eating, drinking (except water or black coffee), smoking or children are allowed in my car and nobody drives it but me. 55K and it still smells like a new car.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I would lose my shit if anyone smoked in my car... ill wait till I get home. but then again my car is my baby.. LOL

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I generally don’t smoke when I drive, though I might enjoy a pre-packed pipe on longer road trips. I favor bent Pete System pipes on those occasions. Maybe I worry about the airbag too much. It’s usually been a 309 or 312; more recently I’ve learned to appreciate hanging the smaller 313 while driving.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Early on in my estate pipe purchasing frenzy, I got a Yello-Bole Brylon, not knowing much about it, but, I've kept it in the console, and I have been very happy using it. It's almost indestructible.

I've learned to be patient with it and it doesn't get overly hot.

Other than that, I usually bring a cob.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
As I am very unexperienced with pipes and still trying to learn how to pack, smoke, etc I guess it would be very difficult for me to smoke in the car, but I would love to experience it some time. I just think its too much to smoke slowly, tamp, relight, and everything, besides I tend to have my window open while driving so..

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not really difficult. You also get to stop swearing at red lights—you actually wish for them, as that's when you get to relight. :)
I pack my pipe at home and then just do my charring and first light with the car parked, and away I go. If I need to relight, I wait for a red lite or pull over and do so.
Another thing that I've found helps with keeping the pipe lit is to 'park' the pipe in one's mouth and breath smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.