What's This?!?! A Bullk Royal Yacht Match Offering?!?!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shutterbug: Sutliff does not make the Royal Yacht Match. I e-mailed and asked.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Some of their prices are pretty amazing though. Many of their tin prices are several dollars less than the well known guys.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Royal Yuck by the pound. That is my idea of hell on earth. I could see it now. "Mr. Condor we are exiling you to a desert island with two Falcon pipes and fifteen pounds of Royal Yuck match blend!'. I'd rather spend a night in Tijuana getting buggered by a midget in a Snow White costume wearing a barbed wire condom with my nut sack stapled to the floor before I tried either that stuff or the match blend. :rofl:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
My contact at Sutliff said they don't make it. He said it's a possibility they used to make it, and he said he'd check the files to see if they ever did. I know that when I did my reviews of Sutliff Match blends in 2014, they were not making it, or I would have gotten it for review. As a great many of Sutliff's matches were close to the originals, if they had made it, it might have been close. Who knows? They've made many of the best Match blends on the market, despite what the snobby Sutliff slammers think.
Here's a link to my Match reviews.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-sutliff-match-reviews

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cosmic: my contact at Sutliff sez, "The only item I see we made close to that name was Royal Scott. I see a bunch of Royal – stuff like Royal Viking, but not Yacht." He did allow for the fact that perhaps it was made and sold under a another name.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Did Altadis get bought out by Sutliff?
How are they listing a tobacco with both the Altadis and Sutliff name on it and not getting shite for misrepresentation?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Altadis used to own Sutliff. In 2013, MacBaren bought Sutliff from Altadis.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
They've made many of the best Match blends on the market, despite what the snobby Sutliff slammers think.
I find Sutliff's ERR match much closer* to the original than Lane's...which is really a reintroduction not a match, as Lane apparently owns the rights to the original recipe.
*I think it's due to the cut being closer to what I remember, which influences the smoking properties

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shutterbug: it's more than that. The Sutliff Match has more molasses than the Lane version does, and is almost the same amount as the original ERR. The Lane version has more cocoa than the original ERR, and lacks that mild sharp note that the original and the Sutliff Match has. Lane said they used the original recipe, but having directly compared it to the original ERR, I taste enough differences to say Lane's is not the same. Sutliff also uses the correct cut, which Lane does not.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Recipes are made of words. Words are ambiguous.
http://oregonstate.edu/instruct/phl201/modules/Philosophers/Nietzsche/Truth_and_Lie_in_an_Extra-Moral_Sense.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.