Whats the Ultimate Pack, Does Tighter = Better Flavour and Burn?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stuart

Lurker
Jun 9, 2015
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello all,

Hope you are all well, I have been smoking on and off for around 15 years and continue to experiment with different packing methods. I have seen people load their pipe up quite tight especially thinking about smoking competitions fitting three grams into a pipe bowl. Also, having tried a puff or two on said pipes they tend to have alot of flavour. I find it easier to smoke bowls that are on the looser side, but am wondering whether there is anything which can be done in terms of smoking technique to pack tighter and ensure it smokes better to produce more flavour and burn better? So wondering if tighter is better, but requires more skill to smoke? Interested to hear any thoughts or ideas on this please.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello all,

Hope you are all well, I have been smoking on and off for around 15 years and continue to experiment with different packing methods. I have seen people load their pipe up quite tight especially thinking about smoking competitions fitting three grams into a pipe bowl. Also, having tried a puff or two on said pipes they tend to have alot of flavour. I find it easier to smoke bowls that are on the looser side, but am wondering whether there is anything which can be done in terms of smoking technique to pack tighter and ensure it smokes better to produce more flavour and burn better? So wondering if tighter is better, but requires more skill to smoke? Interested to hear any thoughts or ideas on this please.

Thanks
My experience is that tighter doesn't equal more flavor, nor a better burn. I've found that moisture content is the main factor for flavor intensity, with packing following closely behind. Since I mostly smoke Virginias, Va/Pers, and Va/Bur/Per blends the moisture level is a little bit shy of bone dry. I'll pack "medium to loose" depending on the cut. I want the draw to be open and effortless. Once i get the tobacco lit I just let it simmer as I take slow sips. I also snork to pick up the flavor nuances since there are more flavor receptors in your schnoz than in your mouth.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
My experience is that tighter doesn't equal more flavor, nor a better burn. I've found that moisture content is the main factor for flavor intensity, with packing following closely behind. Since I mostly smoke Virginias, Va/Pers, and Va/Bur/Per blends the moisture level is a little bit shy of bone dry. I'll pack "medium to loose" depending on the cut. I want the draw to be open and effortless. Once i get the tobacco lit I just let it simmer as I take slow sips. I also snork to pick up the flavor nuances since there are more flavor receptors in your schnoz than in your mouth.

This ^^^^^^^

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I couldn’t imagine cramming 3g of tobacco into a pipe, heck that’s almost 3smokes, 5 if I’m using a clay....

que @chasingembers photo of pipe that fits 12oz
126084884_182317366819210_104135307139580857_n.jpg
this....but also depends a lot on the cut of the mixture and the pipe ....
Again it depends on the technique of the individual smoking. The pipe has nothing to do with it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Given same blend with same moisture level, tight packing has more flavor. But when I say tight packing, I mean having air pocket at the heel of the chamber so the draw will be still open and free.

But, I do prefer light packing and flavor that's easy. Intense flavor for an hour tires me out.

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
well, in my experience, pipe changes a lot. a Chimney is different from an Apple even to smoked loading and management!!! a bulldog is less easy than an Author...

Reactions: Ahi Ka

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
You will figure the pack out yourself. Tight packing has never fixed anything for me, almost always a lighter pack is needed.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
well, in my experience, pipe changes a lot. a Chimney is different from an Apple even to smoked loading and management!!! a bulldog is less easy than an Author...
And that falls back to technique. A pipe is little more than a straw you are drawing air through. The only impact a pipe can have on the smoking is the diameter of the airway or in the case of a badly drilled pipe, obstructions.

Reactions: Mark 0092

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
And that falls back to technique. A pipe is little more than a straw you are drawing air through. The only impact a pipe can have on the smoking is the diameter of the airway or in the case of a badly drilled pipe, obstructions.
I must agree with you, I thought he was a new smoker while I reread the post and he has been smoking for a long time so let's talk about technique ... my advice is more for a new smoker ....

Reactions: Chasing Embers