Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, new member and new pipe owner here! I bought myself a pretty cheap starter kit with a briar pipe and what I suppose would be the tobacco equivalent of a house wine - smells alright though! Not entirely sure I'll stick with it but we'll see how it goes. Anyway, were I to buy myself something a little more "upmarket" - I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but what are your thoughts on a Chacom Belle Epoque 621? Price is £59/$77. Thanks for any input and hope you're all keeping well!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been entirely satisfied with my several Chacom pipes. French pipes in general are above their price point in quality, and their design, though traditional, is often impeccable. In fact most of the designs of English pipes so revered as classic came from French pipes, as did the use of briar. I like various French brands: Chacom, BC, Genod, Vuilliard, EWA. St. Claude and other French pipe making locations are proud and competitive. I would say that is a safe buy in all likelihood.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
morning piper

?

20200823_150915.jpg

Vanilla-Buttercream-recipe-queensleeappetit.com-5.jpg

1554271692-ca-plumb.jpg

images

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nothing wrong with the Chacom I have.

What tobacco are you trying? AND:

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state.

Nothing wrong with the Chacom I have.

What tobacco are you trying? AND:

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) and which will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state.
Location added! Tobacco I tried was just from a website where I got the pipe: Mysmokingshop Gentlemans Choice Pipe Tobacco 25g from My Smoking Shop Tobacconist - https://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/index2.php?mod=catviewind&idPrd=3627&np=Mysmokingshop%20Gentlemans%20Choice%20Pipe%20Tobacco%20%20%2025g

Nothing special as far as I can tell, have only had time to try it once yesterday (when it arrived) - seems decent enough. Do you have any suggestions I might try as a new start?

Kind regards,

Lee

Reactions: BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi folks, new member and new pipe owner here! I bought myself a pretty cheap starter kit with a briar pipe and what I suppose would be the tobacco equivalent of a house wine - smells alright though! Not entirely sure I'll stick with it but we'll see how it goes. Anyway, were I to buy myself something a little more "upmarket" - I don't really know what I'm talking about here, but what are your thoughts on a Chacom Belle Epoque 621? Price is £59/$77. Thanks for any input and hope you're all keeping well!
great avatar by the way. I'd venture the tobacco would be the more important area to stretch out a little bit. Unless the pipe is terrible. Though you might also enjoy a new pipe either way. Though don't forget you have plenty of time do things like that.

great avatar by the way. I'd venture the tobacco would be the more important area to stretch out a little bit. Unless the pipe is terrible. Though you might also enjoy a new pipe either way. Though don't forget you have plenty of time do things like that.
The pipe doesn't seem awful - it hasn't put me off or anything, nor he tobacco. All in all it seems decent enough for a starting point. Will have a look at tobaccos and see what takes my fancy. Any suggestions for a newbie?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The pipe doesn't seem awful - it hasn't put me off or anything, nor he tobacco. All in all it seems decent enough for a starting point. Will have a look at tobaccos and see what takes my fancy. Any suggestions for a newbie?
Smoke slow, no hard drags, stay away from wet aromatics for a while until you have solid technique. Englishes or mild Burley blends is where I’d start.

Smoke slow, no hard drags, stay away from wet aromatics for a while until you have solid technique. Englishes or mild Burley blends is where I’d start.
Thanks, I'll definitely bear in mind! The one I have now is kind of aromatic I suppose. Hard to keep lit. Do you keep the metal insert (evaporator?) as part of it or do you recommend removing it? Apology for the dumb questions.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks, I'll definitely bear in mind! The one I have now is kind of aromatic I suppose. Hard to keep lit. Do you keep the metal insert (evaporator?) as part of it or do you recommend removing it? Apology for the dumb questions.
I’d pull out the metal insert. Try drying your tobacco til almost crisp.

I’d recommend trying any Gawith Hoggarth you can get your hands on... or Germain’s. ?

oh you’re in Ireland? Try Condor, Benson & Hedges Special Virginia, Maltan, or St Bruno. ?

Reactions: Environment_piper
Status
Not open for further replies.